Um ... My Bitches Bits Look Diffrent ?

MonSqueek

Zoey is just over 1 year old, desexed. I was giving her a belly rub tonight when I noticed her vulva looked a bit puffy and red. On closer inspection its not bleeding, and its more the crease either side then the entrance. Whats going on? Should I be worried? Is this normal??

2864791617_18095e5704_b.jpg

Can't see the offending part that well in the photo but it does look red and puffy. Most likely a bit of an infection that has formed because that area has creases in it so doesn't dry well so provides a perfect environment for bacteria to live in.

How often do you bath her? Do you give that area good going over? Every now and again I will have a close inspection, a bit of a poke, pull and prod, of my girls bits.

In this case I would be going to the vets to get some antibacterial cream/ointment. They might even prescibe some antibiotics.

I checked her again this morning And it seemed much better. Back to normal size and more pink then red. I then had to rush off to hospital becuase my mum was going in for emergency surgery.

When I got home tonight it looks almost normal again. At this stage I speculate she was a victim of a "bitey-face" game gone wild. Ive seen little red marks on legs of each of them after rough and tumbles so I wouldnt be supprised. But I will keep a really close eye on it over the next few days and off to the vet if it flares up again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it flared up again.... so off to the vets this time. Poor lil girl has vulva dermatitis. :thumbsup: She has to have a cream applied 2wice a day - and I have to stop Luigi trying to lick it off again! And back to the vets on Saturday for a check up. In the mean time I am ment to try and get a urine sample. He thinks its either her urine causing it - being too asidic ectra, or an anatomical issue.... basically her vulva is too small to project the urine far enough from her body so she ends up with a little of it collecting around her vulva causing the inflamation. If this is the case she will require daily use of a nappy rash cream to prevent it comming back once we get it cleared up with the medicated cream.

Well it flared up again.... so off to the vets this time. Poor lil girl has vulva dermatitis. :laugh: She has to have a cream applied 2wice a day - and I have to stop Luigi trying to lick it off again! ...

Poor girl! Our older girl gets irritated around her vulva from time to time - I just wash her backside with salty water and give her a tablespoon of natural (no sugar) yoghurt for a few days in case it's an imbalance of bacteria/fungal organisms. Clears it up in no time.