What Does Everyone Think Of Eukanuba?

kristin_e102

You can buy Eukanuba in KMart now :mad and usually you can only buy supermarket brands there?

Eukanuba used to be the best food, but then all these other brands came out (Super premium) I prefer RC GSD or Pro Plan, mt dogs do well on both, but they mainly get fed pro plan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion it's crap, right up there with Science Diet.

Hi what do you feed your staffy i have been feeding mine ( 5month old bitch ) Eukanuba and she looks fine almost finished 2nd 15kg bag so if this stuff is no good will try a new brand. any ideas ?

Thanks

Hi what do you feed your staffy i have been feeding mine ( 5month old bitch ) Eukanuba and she looks fine almost finished 2nd 15kg bag so if this stuff is no good will try a new brand. any ideas ?

Thanks

You feed your dog what it does well on, if your dog likes it, is in good condition and looks healthy then leave her on the diet she is on...what else do you feed her?

Thanks

You feed your dog what it does well on, if your dog likes it, is in good condition and looks healthy then leave her on the diet she is on...what else do you feed her?

She looks healthy and in good condition she weighs 10kg at 5 months i also give her pasta and chicken

There are so many foods out there and just as many opinions about whats good! I think I might finish the current bag of Eukanuba and try Orijin as everyone seems to recommend it. Tayza isnt doing poorly on Eukanuba (from what I can see, anyway), but I want to do the right thing, nutritionally.

That website was excellent Botheration, thanks for that!

Thanks everyone for the advice...

Cheers,

Kristin

Too true. For every brand there's a fan and a detractor. It can get ridiculously confusing. Sometimes, when I'm stressing about Martha's diet, I remind myself that the darling yellow lab and cocker spaniel I grew up with got a can of Pal everyday — and both lived long, healthy lives. We know a lot more about dog nutrition now and have heaps more choices, but at the end of the day as long as our dogs are healthy and happy and shiny, we should be happy too.

If you can be bothered... making your own mix is great. I used to do that for my GS girl. It's much more cost effective and you can be absolutely certain what goes into it. I started doing that out of pure frustration... My philosophy is... If you wouldn't eat it, why should your dog? - Perhaps a little idealist of me :laugh:

There are some fantastic websites that can offer you recipes, however, steer clear of any that suggest you put onion in the mix, as they obviously have no idea what they are talking about! I also suggest that you take any intended recipe to your vet. They will be able to advise you on any nutritional requirements that will need to be added.

Good Luck!!!!

Yeah as the last few stated, everyones got a different opinion.

Our pug is on Euk and he's doing alright. That said we've modified it a little bit because his bowel movements weren't the best and he was putting on a little too much weight from it. He's now on half a cup of Euk in the morning and at night he has a 1/4 barf pattie. That's really balanced him out well and he's in much better shape now. But that said he still loves his Euk in the morning.

Sorcha is on Advance, but that was more so because that is what her breeder was feeding her and the Euk wasn't going to go very far with her (She's a Bernese Mountain Dog) so the advance seemed a bit more cost effective. She has a lovely shiny coat though :scared:

That said I might try Bailey on the Orijin and see how he goes with that. He's only on half a cup of dry a day so it'll last him a fair while at that price :laugh:

I started by feeding Dugan Advance giant puppy he got sick of that after a couple months & we switched to Eukanuba. He loves it but it makes him fart constantly :scared: so now changing to Orijen.. Have ordered it a couple of days ago & can't wait to give that a go - really like the idea of grain free.

My boy does well on Eukanuba so I don't see the need to change - he is now on the Senior Large Breed because he will be 6 on Sunday.

Our previous dogs have also done well on it and in fact they wouldn't eat anything else.

Guest june.andnovas

Thanks

She looks healthy and in good condition she weighs 10kg at 5 months i also give her pasta and chicken

i wouldn't be feeding her pasta as well as the dry you're using. far far far too many carbs. the dry is full of grains and fillers already ... which isn't the best diet out there.

Thanks

i wouldn't be feeding her pasta as well as the dry you're using. far far far too many carbs. the dry is full of grains and fillers already ... which isn't the best diet out there.

Well just went and got 3rd bag of Eukanuba shes doing so good on it that i thought why change but will cut pasta out of her diet. For those who do buy Eukanuba i just got this bag from K-Mart $22 cheaper then my local petstock store ( 15kg bag )

I have a particulare interest in Canine Nutrition, always have. When I was still studying this was always the area I found most interesting, sadly though I dont believe nutrition receives enough focus in Vet Medicine courses.

Anyhow, I personally feel that every dog will respond differently to various diets and it is upto the owner to use their discretion and common sense to find what does and doesnt work.

When It comes to nutrition in the dog world there seems to be a whole lot of chiefs and not too many Indians! (not refering to this thread) However not enough people understand that what works for THEM doesnt work for Joe and his dog Bob.

A few years ago I went on the BARF rampage, basically if you wernt feeding BARF I wanted you burnt at the stake. lol

Nowerdays I realise that not every dog will eat BARF, and WHY force them to eat something they do NOT enjoy when there are other options available that they will respond better to.

I do not believe in Supermarket foods, and I dont recommend Hills or Euk/IAMS either, however if it works for YOUR dog and you have taken the time to do the research and feel comfortable with the product then why change? Of course you should suppliment with bones etc

I currently feed EP Holistic, Royal Canin Mini Sensible, BARF patties (chicken flavour) and a large amount of fish and bones. I also add natural yoghurt, free range organic eggs and various oils to their meals as is required.

I do this because I have kids that love BARF and dont like biccies so much and vice versa.

I have a cav here that has THRIVED on RC Skin and Digest after coming to me with a severe skin condition.

Most foods (within reason) have a place. Its upto us as responsible owners to do as best we can, and can afford to feed them, with a product that best suits their needs. Its also important not to be bullied by the BARF nazis, the HILL's nazis etc either, as I said, what works for one wont always work for another.

Kyla

I always look at the 1st few ingredients on the label & choose the ones that have meat etc listed 1st & no corn products. Atm I have Tilba on a mix of Supercoat puppy & Innova puppy. She also gets sardines in oil, yoghurt, cottage cheese, raw eggs & raw meaty bones. Its also wise to separate kibble meals & bone meals because they digest at different rates. Apple cider vinegar in their water is also beneficial.

Hi Guys,

I'm new here so hi to all. I've got a 4 month old labrador and it's been quite a few years since I've had a puppy to care for and finding this site full of great advice. I'm especially keeping an eye on this thread because I am currently considering switching my girl from Eukanuba large breed puppy formula.

I feed Martha Orijen Large Puppy food, which gets a six star rating on Dog Food Analysis and seems to cost more than our food does! There's a thread on Orijen dog food in the Health and Nutrition there, umm... here. Because it's full of meat, it has a very high protein content, and some people don't like feeding a puppy (particularly large breeds with potential joint problems like Labs) high protein food because it may accelerate the growth of their joints and cause problems in the future. The studies, however, show this to be a result of feeding a pup too many calories and/or too much calcium, rather than too much protein. It's probably worth doing your own research if you want to switch to Orijen so that you can at least satisfy yourself you're doing the right thing!

Botheration, I found your info and the website really useful. Thanks. I had a look and the Orijen definately seems to be a great dog food. I was just wondering if you or anyone else who might be using Orijen was concerened at all with the amount of protein in this brand of dog food? The Orijen large breed puppy has 42% protein I noticed. The review comments on the Dog Analysis website did state that this brand might not be great for pups or large breeds due to that. Did you hear any advice otherwise?

Hi Guys,

I'm new here so hi to all. I've got a 4 month old labrador and it's been quite a few years since I've had a puppy to care for and finding this site full of great advice. I'm especially keeping an eye on this thread because I am currently considering switching my girl from Eukanuba large breed puppy formula.

I feed Martha Orijen Large Puppy food, which gets a six star rating on Dog Food Analysis and seems to cost more than our food does! There's a thread on Orijen dog food in the Health and Nutrition there, umm... here. Because it's full of meat, it has a very high protein content, and some people don't like feeding a puppy (particularly large breeds with potential joint problems like Labs) high protein food because it may accelerate the growth of their joints and cause problems in the future. The studies, however, show this to be a result of feeding a pup too many calories and/or too much calcium, rather than too much protein. It's probably worth doing your own research if you want to switch to Orijen so that you can at least satisfy yourself you're doing the right thing!

Botheration, I found your info and the website really useful. Thanks. I had a look and the Orijen definately seems to be a great dog food. I was just wondering if you or anyone else who might be using Orijen was concerened at all with the amount of protein in this brand of dog food? The Orijen large breed puppy has 42% protein I noticed. The review comments on the Dog Analysis website did state that this brand might not be great for pups or large breeds due to that. Did you hear any advice otherwise?

Guys plz dont jump on me im new here but what is BARF ? and can i feed it to my 5 month old staffy

Guys plz dont jump on me im new here but what is BARF ? and can i feed it to my 5 month old staffy

Hi COOBRI,

I don't feed my dog BARF but from doing some research I found that BARF is an acroynm for "Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods"

Direct Quote from http://www.ozpets.com.au/articles/191

BARF is about feeding dogs properly. The aim of BARF is to maximise the health, longevity and reproductive capacity of dogs and by so doing, minimise the need for veterinary intervention. How do you feed a dog properly? You feed it the diet that it evolved to eat. It's evolutionary diet. A Biologically Appropriate Raw Food diet. A BARF diet.

Hope this helps :thumbsup: