Large Breeds

Kristina

My Friend got a large breed pup and i'm just wondering what others recommend for them. I know their diet needs to be different as they grow quick and are heavy, etc.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

you definantly don't want them growing quick... you want it slow and strong.

i would recomend BARF, but if they prefer dry i would go with something lie Eagle Pack Large breed puppy. i havern't used this, but i hear great things about it and its protein %age.

Thanks. I said about the barf diet, it's what i use here. I know about growing them slow just not sure as to what the percentages are. Looked on the net for info and most say that anything over 25kg as adult is LARGE. I would never thought that. This pup is 20kg at 4mths.

Did find that eagle pack is meant to be good too, so might recommend that too.

Thanks.

Eagle Pack or Royal Canin giant plus the odd chicken carcass

Eagle pack has a protein %age of like 17%, but Royal Canin is 32%, i wouldn't feed the RC unless you were wanting to put wieght on the dog. i fed it to my Saint girl, coz she was so skinny, and it did put wirght on her, but dry food didin't agree with her.

it it were between the two brands, i'd go with EP

I had a look at different brands and their percentages. All were for large breeds and yet a huge difference.

If you really didn't know what you were looking for or that there was a difference, you could cause some serious damage.

Thanks for info.

Eagle Pack large breed puppy or Pro Plan large breed puppy are the ones we use and many other breeders I know with large breeds use these too. Personally I prefer the EP. We switch to adultd food when pups are at about 20 weeks of age, Holistic EP or adult Pro Plan.

The Royal Canine at 32% protien I would not use, you are wanting a lower protien and fat ratio. You do not want to put any access weight on a large breed pup.

What breed?

Eagle Pack large breed puppy or Pro Plan large breed puppy are the ones we use and many other breeders I know with large breeds use these too. Personally I prefer the EP. We switch to adultd food when pups are at about 20 weeks of age, Holistic EP or adult Pro Plan.

The Royal Canine at 32% protien I would not use, you are wanting a lower protien and fat ratio. You do not want to put any access weight on a large breed pup.

What breed?

Neo mastiff x Dogue De Bordeaux x American Bulldog

Yummy

agreed.

i used is only because i need to put wieght on my girl when she was 1yo(6 sugeries in 3 months really takes is out of a dog). but i wouldn't use it on a growing large dog.

Just to put in a different opinion, I feed my Saint pup on Royal Canin Giant which is what his breeder recommended to me and is what he was weaned onto. Recently I have been feeding more of a raw diet to both dogs, but his main diet up until a few months ago was the RC and he looks in fantastic shape. His breeder has used the same food for years and years and never had any problems. I also know of other breeders of giant dogs who feed it and love it.

ETA: I also like how there is a different food for each life stage, Babydog up to 4 months, then Puppy up to 8 months, then Junior up to 18 months, then Adult. (This is going by my very rough memory, the number of months may be slightly out.) Each formula is specifc to that particular life stage.

Edited by cassie

Christ! I would be going for Eagle Pack for a pup like that and give some chicken carcasses to gnaw on.

Backyard breeding at its best eh

ETA Actually my Bordeaux I raised on EP Giant puppy and for him it was fabulous. For my Rotty he has always been on Eagle Pack and i have not noticed it grow him too quickly compared to the Mastiff. RC is the only food that doesn't turn his skin rotten either (EP makes him greasy and smell putrid) and has helped him maintain desperately needed muscle tone. I now have the DDB on RC as well and it helped him muscle out from 2yrs onwards

Edited by Nekhbet

Before I switched to BARF I fed my goldens RC and highly recommend it.

They have beautiful coats, nice white teeth, perfect weight and don't smell.

Anyway, I thought a high % of protein was a good thing? Meat contains high levels of protein and that's what they would have eaten mostly in the wild?

We still use the RC kibble as training treats.

Jonty was raised on Royal Canin Maxi junior and is now on the Adult version (he is two). His breeder was really happy with his condition when she saw him last week. I do carefully control his intake v exercise and he doesn't get alot of treats.

Just curious (for those who know such things) would this puppys breeding make him Large or Giant?????