Seizures, Frothing At The Mouth

Staffwild

I got a phone call from a puppy buyer yesterday about a Stafford that is now 6yrs old that I bred. What she told me was he was having a seizure/ fit, then frothing at the mouth, then barked constantly for 1.5hrs straight afterwards, and was trying to break into the house through the windows...... As one would be, she was pretty scared and refused to go near the dog and a mate picked him up last night for me and he is apparently quite normal when she got him....

So after a further phone call to the original owner, this is all I have found out....

He's now 6 and never been a problem until recently. No health issues, no vet visits (except to remove a childrens toy ball that he swallowed).... Never barks.... 3 years ago he was religated to being an outside dog as she was pregnant with their first child. They moved to a new house in May this year. 3 months ago, he had his first "seizure" whilst sleeping beside her and a mate on the verandah... She described the first seizure as he jumped up all of a sudden, went stiff and fell over, started frothing at the mouth, then was back to normal in seconds.....

This latest attack, she said he was outside, fell over stiff, started frothing at the mouth, when he came too, he was erraticly running around in circles, then started to bark wildly, and was trying to break through the windows to get inside.... After an hour and a half, he was back to normal and was like nothing had happened.....

Around the time of the attack, there was a bee in the area.... She has also identified a number of plants in her backyard that may be "poisonous" to dogs....

Any ideas if this is a form of poisoning? They are located in Brisbane, I am in NSW so I can't see what is going on or just get hold of the dog physically myself, at the moment a friend in Brisbane has him but the original owners are going to get him back tonight and remove all the plants in the yard that may be an issue and try him again.... They don't want to run tests on him which sort of leaves me in a bind..... I offered to take the dog on for 6mths to a year and see how he goes, then if he has another seizure, I can see his behaviour and run tests but in the meantime until they decide to take me up on that offer, I am trying to see if there is any other reason that could be causing the seizures.

Edited by Staffwild

I am baffled why they won't run tests. Granted it can get expensive but c'mon we are talking about a seizing dog! Like poodlefan said everything is a guess - the dog needs to get tests done.

What an awful situation and I hope you can get the bottom of it.

Bec.

This latest attack, she said he was outside, fell over stiff, started frothing at the mouth, when he came too, he was erraticly running around in circles, then started to bark wildly, and was trying to break through the windows to get inside.... After an hour and a half, he was back to normal and was like nothing had happened.....

What you are describing sounds like a typical tonic/clonic seizure. The running around manic part is probably all post-ictal behaviour. My epileptic Pug runs manic too. I usually hold him though as he bangs into walls and furniture and is at risk of hurting himslef. I guess this would be harder for a Staffy die to the strength and zie. He should be crated if possible, or placed in a safe area and monitored.

Bees stings do not usually cause seizures. Plants can however but so can many other toxins and so can many other diseases.

The dog needs to be taken to a Vet and have blood samples taken to test for a possible cause of the seizure. If no cause is found it is diagnosed as epilepsy and he will need to be medicated.

Tell them that the dog must be kept cool when he is manic and during the seizure. He must also be kept in a safe area to prevent further harm.

Edited to add - the frothing and drooling is a normal part of the seizure. Many dogs also lose control of their bladder and bowel too.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

OMFG. If my dog had done this he would have been raced off to the vets there and then. Not doing anything after two or more of these "attacks" is neglect in my book. I would have thought epilepsy or a tumor. What is it with these people?

Take him to get checked out by a vet!!!

:shakehead:

Shit! Get him tested for epilepsy and also L2 (unless that's already clear by parentage) just to be on the safe side - L2 is not expensive anymore.

Maybe just reiterate that guessing isn't going to work on this - offer to buy him back (nominal cost) so that you can run the tests yourself.

Good luck and I'm sorry it's happened.

Just to clear up a misconception, you can't test for epilepsy.

You can run tests on a dog that has seizures to rule out all other causes for the seizures though. If there are no other causes found for the seizures, such as toxins, disease, injury, then it is called epilepsy.

Also I gather the dog in concern is a Stafforshire Bull terrier? because that breed is known to get congenital epilepsy between the ages of 3 -5 years...so maybe the fits have been occurring for a bit longer than the owners realise.

If it is epilepsy the fits will need medication otherwise undue stress is placed upon the heart with every seizure and ultimately the dog will die from heart failure!

Update on the boy.....

Blood tests were done last week, results were back today, there is nothing wrong according to the blood tests so they are just monitoring his seizures now and see how things go to whether he will need to go onto medication to control them.

Thank you to all who replied, its been an interesting experience, so far all of the dogs I have owned or bred have been healthy, so it was a little bit of a rude shock.... The dog in questions grandparents were owned by me and were pts at the ages of 18yrs and 13yrs, with never a sick day in their life, injuries yes, but no ill health.