Seizures

giraffez

My dog (chihuahua) has been experiencing seizures lately. I've already taken him to the vet and the vets put him on frudix and vetmedin. I've noticed that everytime after my dog has a bath, he relapses in seizure mode. I don't know what to do. I know some owners on this forum has dogs that has seizures - is it normal to go into one after a bath?

My dog hates bath time since he was little. Thats why i haven't been bathing him often but its been several weeks and he is beginning to scratch often. What should i do? :thumbsup:

Why is he scratching? Does he have fleas? Is it perhaps an allergy? Does he have dry skin?

Itches can be caused by many things- and, for a lot, a bath is not a 'cure'.

IMO

provided he is on a colour and preservative free, low/no grain diet, is treated for fleas regularly, and has no access to the common plants which may make him itch (wandering Dew, some grasses)-

Regular wiping of his coat with a damp cloth, daily brushing with a soft brush, and rinsing his feet daily( just with a wet cloth, if he doesn't like being handled/washed (dry them wellafterwards)

SHOULD minimise odour, and keep his coat nice and healthy.

why is your dog on heart failure medication?

Vetmedin

Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels taking blood away from the heart, so reducing the work the heart has to do to pump blood around your dog's body.

At the same time, Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels returning blood to the heart which reduces pressure on the heart.

Vetmedin also differs from other commonly used heart drugs by helping to the heart to pump more efficiently.

Frudix is a fluid regulator for the body. What exactly is wrong with your dog??

why is your dog on heart failure medication?

Vetmedin

Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels taking blood away from the heart, so reducing the work the heart has to do to pump blood around your dog's body.

At the same time, Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels returning blood to the heart which reduces pressure on the heart.

Vetmedin also differs from other commonly used heart drugs by helping to the heart to pump more efficiently.

Frudix is a fluid regulator for the body. What exactly is wrong with your dog??

:thumbsup: so the seizure could be a heart irregularity bought on by the effort/stress of a bath? ahhh.. poor little dog..

I did wonder about the medication- but didn't look further ;)

having a seizure and having something like congestive heart failure are two separate things.

I am curious as the whether the seizures are actually Syncope, where the animal has a fainting episode. Syncope can be caused by some forms of heart disease as well as stress (ie a dog having a bath if he doesn't particularly like it).

having a seizure and having something like congestive heart failure are two separate things. I dont understand how you can have a dog on this medication and not even ask what is wrong with your animal?

The fact that I didn't mention why he is on vetmedin does not mean I blindly give my dog medication!

The vetmedin is for his heart. My dog has had a heart murmur for a number of years now and the medication is to keep his heart from failing. The seizure has just start this year, previously he didn't have it. All of a sudden one day, his breathing became very very heavy and he seemed to have lost all his energy and wou;dn't eat. Thats when the vet gave him frudix which seem to have made it a lot better. Since that episode of heaving breathing, he has started to seize (not often but still it worries me). He is around 13 years old

No sight of fleas.... however, after weeks of not bathing, he started to itch. After the bath, he has stopped scratching. I suspected the bath gave my dog stress but not bathing him makes him uncomfortable. he was all happy and energetic after the bath as I give him a reward everytime after the bath...but as soon as i turned around, he started to seize

Edited by giraffez