Mixing Food Types

brigitta

Hi (newbie so hello all!)

I have been reading about all the best foods etc to give our new poodle puppy. However I have read conflicting advice on whether to mix the dry food and raw meat or not and whether to give vegetables or not.

A friend suggested getting big bags of frozen chopped up carrots, peas and corn or frozen spinach and mixing that in with puppy's food but does he really need vegetables, especially corn when it seems to be the evil ingredient in dry food?

So, what does everyone think? Do you mix dry and wet foods and do you give your puppies vegetables?

thanks in advance for your advice.

i normally use RC but recently ive started or raw food and its been realli awesome !!

think it might be my last bag of RC LOL

but yeaha i was a little worried giving him the raw food with all the hype of bones getting stuck in throats etc but hasnt happened yet!! still watching closely

also a side note i can verfy its authencity but im sure i read or head some where that it not a good idea to feed kibble and raw at the same time as they digest at different rates ?? and for some reason its bad!

Mine get raw mixed with there kibble.. 2 are on Royal Canin, the puppy is on advance, they get human grade mince,lamb and raw vegies mixed in with there food with a bit of kibble... they also get sardines in oil 2 times a week, they get yogurt everyday on there meals, There's days they get chicken necks, brisket bones

Kibble is only 10% of my dogs diet a day

Edited by SeaMonKeY

Mine get raw mixed with there kibble.. 2 are on Royal Canin, the puppy is on advance, they get human grade mince,lamb and raw vegies mixed in with there food with a bit of kibble... they also get sardines in oil 2 times a week, they get yogurt everyday on there meals, There's days they get chicken necks, brisket bones

Kibble is only 10% of my dogs diet a day

Is human minced meat ok for puppies or does it contain preservatives?

I was thinking of feeding puppy a combination of Lennards chicken pet mince and defrosted vege pieces with his Orijen or Eagle Pack kibble.

I'm worried about the corn pieces in the vege mix and whether people mince is ok for dogs.

Iv never had a prob feeding my dogs/puppies human grade mince, They also get steak on some days, or lamb/beef stir fry strips :thumbsup:

Lennards chicken pet mince i think it will fine, iv heard it has fine bones tho it so plz dont cook it.. (someone may who buys it may be able to help u there, i could b wrong)

Why not do fresh vegies?

preservatives i dont think it has it in it, i do buy the good mince for the dogs with no fat if i do buy it.. its been awhile since i brought meat from supermarket, i buy it in bulk eles where..

Edited by SeaMonKeY

He doesn't really need much in the way of veggies. I feed dry food and chicken necks without any problems. Where is the photo of your puppy for us??? :thumbsup:

he arrives next month - i'm just getting ready early! I'll post pics when he's here :-)

He doesn't really need much in the way of veggies. I feed dry food and chicken necks without any problems. Where is the photo of your puppy for us??? :thumbsup:

he arrives next month - i'm just getting ready early! I'll post pics when he's here :-)

Thank you :coffee:

I was thinking of feeding puppy a combination of Lennards chicken pet mince and defrosted vege pieces with his Orijen or Eagle Pack kibble.

make an educated decision on what protein level you want to feed. Orijen is already a high protein food and you are adding extra protein on top. EP kibble has a completely different ration and content so dont chop and change. I feed only RC dry food (switched back to only this) at breakfast and give chicken carcasses in the afternoon, 3 different breeds all doing great on it.

make an educated decision on what protein level you want to feed. Orijen is already a high protein food and you are adding extra protein on top. EP kibble has a completely different ration and content so dont chop and change. I feed only RC dry food (switched back to only this) at breakfast and give chicken carcasses in the afternoon, 3 different breeds all doing great on it.

So Orijen and raw food would be bad to feed together. How much is too much protein for a puppy?

Thanks for all the advice!

What does your breeder recommend ?

I know dogs are not cars but it may void you warranty/guarantee, so to speak, if you do not follow your breeders advice when it comes to your puppy.

She feeds Eukanuba and raw chicken mince etc. Maybe I'll feed Eagle Pack and raw mince for meals and use the Orijen bikkies for treats.

Your pup should be feed the diet the breeder suggest & if you wish to change it discuss this with your breeder.Many of the breeder guarantees are based on you following the diet in there puppy packs & if you choice to not feed it & things go wrong you will the breeder will be annoyed.

You also need to understand you cant just change the diet over night & this is for the pups benefit not yours.Extreme diet changes can cause upset tummies which will make the pups toilet training & transition into your home a very unsettling one.

You also have to understand that not all foods are suitabel for all breeds & whilst one diet may sound great it can be totally inappropriate for that breed so i suggest you have a good talk with your breeder about the diet you would like to feed & whether down the track that would be suitable for a poodle

Hi brigitta - I would definately stick with what the breeder is feeding when you first get your pup home. We recently got our standard poodle puppy and even with feeding the same as the breeder he still got a bit of an upset tummy with all the other changes eg. new home, no litter mates all that. So to make the transition as easy as possible for him/her I would stick with the same diet.

As settrlvr said have a chat with your breeder about what you would like to change too, she will be able to advise you on what is best. You may get a puppy pack with diet suggestions also so that will give you some ideas. We are gradually introduced some of the raw principles and our boy is doing great.

Come and join us in the poodle thread, great bunch of people with many years experience who are very happy to help us newbie poo owners :love:

What does your breeder recommend ?

I know dogs are not cars but it may void you warranty/guarantee, so to speak, if you do not follow your breeders advice when it comes to your puppy.

She feeds Eukanuba and raw chicken mince etc. Maybe I'll feed Eagle Pack and raw mince for meals and use the Orijen bikkies for treats.

Hi brigitta,

Its not really about voiding the warranty if you don't do what the breeder has sugested its more about what is best for the puppy

when you first bring it home.

I always give my new owners a menu and some samples to take home and sugest they follow what Ive been feeding and gradually

introduce new food in the coming weeks. Don't be in a rush to do it your way or listern to everyone telling you what they would do.

Sometimes puppies won't eat when you first take them home........thats because their a little lost and unsure. The biggest mistake

you can make is to start offering anything just so it will eat. Keep to what has been sugested the puppy wont starve its self. Keep plenty of water around. AND most of all keep in touch with you breed if you have any problems. :hug:

Hope we see you on the poodle thread soon :hug:

Edited by Bronty

Thanks so much for all the advice. I'll double check what my breeder is feeding him just before we get him so I can keep that consistency for him. I'm worried I'm pestering her with so many questions but I just want to do what's best for him.

I will definately be on the poodle forum, I adore poodles. What an amazing breed of dog they are!

You dont have to pester your breeder simply email(if she has it) asking for a diet sheet so you can shop before pup comes home.All our puppy owners get there sheets a week before pup goes either by email or at there final visit.

What diet to feed isnt pestering