Depth Of Field Help Please

Kirislin

Here's a link to the 50mm on Ebay :rofl:

OK, please explain what this lens will do in simple terms for me. I think it will let me take those lovely close ups with a really shallow depth of field, is that right. will it take distance shots or is it sort of like just a portrait lens only for stationary close up subjects? Or am I completely off the mark.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a zoom lens, when you rotate it it goes in and out and gets you closer or further away from the subject. Sorry if I'm making this too basic :o Fully rotated and fully zoomed is 55mm, and the maximum aperture ie shallowest depth of field you'll get will be f5.6. If you don't zoom at all, the lens is at 18mm and you can shoot at f3.5 [even shallower DOF].

Put your camera on AV and watch the display as you zoom in and out, the f value will change.

The pros around here will probably laugh at my crappy explanation, but hopefully it helps you understand. Don't be afraid to ask questions :)

:rofl: Yep, that's exactly what I did when I wrote I heard the penny drop :) thanks!

I have used one for still life type things and collectibles.

Ripley I believe has been using one for scenic shots.

Could be used for portraits too - experiment.

It is NOT a zoom lens, it is fixed meaning you can't

zoom it in and out like your others. You will have to

zoom with your feet.

Great pic Chezzyr :rofl:

I would've thought it was only for those kind of shots, but if you look here, these were taken with a 50mm also. It seems to be a really versatile lens. I've only used mine for portraits so far.

Chezzyr I think the price has gone up since the dollar went crazy.

Yeah but I think Vickie shoots Nikon??

So I am only trying to give Canon examples Ruthless :laugh:

Don't confuse the poor woman!

(fredmiranda can be a very useful site, good link)

Please no!!

I wonder how different the results would be with a canon.

I've learnt a new word too by visiting fredmiranda "bokeh"

I definitely like the look of what that lens can achieve! I am writing everything down! :laugh:

I don't want to hijack the thread but one thing I would like some help on is whether this lens would be ok for distant shots, most of the photos seem to be more closer except for a few.

I went to the beach last night with a friend to take some shots of her dogs and her. The shot I wanted to achieve was them on the beach with the water/sunset in the background. I played around with the different settings Landscape, Auto etc. to get in a lot of the background as well (I want to enlarge it to frame and give as a pressie) but the dogs and my friend weren't very sharp in the photos. I'm at work and the photos are at home so I can't post any up to show what I mean but I suppose I'm interested in knowing what kind of settings and lens I need to have the dogs, and the background sharp? I will do the next WEA course when it comes up but I only have a couple weeks before I need to give the pressie to my friend. The other thing is many of the photos came out looking quite dark.

We are also getting married on the 15th of November and I'm thinking of asking one of my friends if they would mind taking photos for me with my camera but they know nothing about photography either :eek: We have a Canon 400D with the twin lens kit so I am happy to buy more lenses that are better quality.... just don't know what to buy.

Oh lordy... so much to learn, so little time :eek:

It is NOT a zoom lens, it is fixed meaning you can't

zoom it in and out like your others. You will have to

zoom with your feet.

Zoom with your feet :laugh: Now this is the kind of camera language I understand! :eek:

Tahna I had a disappointing day at the beach with mine too and I posted about it here. http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=144827

I think it's definitely operator problems with me. Have you loaded the programs that come with the camera onto your computer. you can sharpen them a bit there, which is what I did with some but still, my abilities are the downfall.

Edited by Kirislin