Depth Of Field Help Please

Kirislin

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok I have sucessfully done no work today but learnt heaps reading up on all things photographic. I found a great website and I think.... that I may have found the penny but won't know for sure till I get home and start practicing with the actual camera.

Stay tuned! :eek:

I look forward to seeing your results. :eek: Pity you're so far away, we could have a practice day together and get thoroughly confused :eek:

have you had a look here, it's Canons own instruction site.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

Thank you, I will check out that website. Just incase it helps you or anyone else in our prediciment, the website and topic I found very helpful (idiotproof with piccies) was this one: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-32489.html

$119 is the cheapest.

Although I give a HUGE thumbs up to camerasdirect.com.au

I just got my 50mm 1.4 lens from them. Ordered it on Monday and had it on Tuesday morning. :eek:

was that shopbot mob the ones you got the refund from? I'd be wary of them if that's the case. I've had a read up of the lens. it sounds really cheap, plasticky.

May I ask how much your 1.4 cost. There seems to be a huge price difference from what I've seen. Is there so much of a difference in quality and ability?

Shopbot are the price comparison website... the name of the place with BAD service is quikshop.com.au BUT they are no longer listed at shopbot.

Cameras direct is listed at shopbot though. :eek: I have learnt my lesson. If I use shopbot now I am going to call someone everytime and also do an online search for reviews about the stores BEFORE I purchase. My partner is looking at an apple macbook through shopbot also... all good if you play it safe.

The 1.8 is a bit 'plasticky' but well worth it if you don't have alot to spend. The 1.4 was around $520 through camerasdirect.com.au . As I said, they were brilliant :eek: Ordered one day, delivered the next and they have over the counter pick up if you happen to be on the Gold Coast. We have used them twice now and very happy.

Do you tell him to Puck off? :eek:

Actually I do sometimes and I have a giggle about it. If you met him I am sure you'd think the name suits him.

anyway I've just changed the lens over and shot these from my doorway. they look blurred because the maggies are behind a wire fence so I changed to manual focus. It's just all practice for me.

IMG_1107s.jpg

IMG_1106ts.jpg

IMG_1105s.jpg

and Penny, Pucks mum giving me lip

IMG_1109ts.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

Tahna.....where are you in SA? I am waiting on my Nikon D80 being delivered...bought it 2nd hand on ebay yesterday.....I'm going to have to do a course cos everything is sounding SOOOO double dutch to me.....Have bookmarked your entry of Ben Fried - does he do a part 3......taking the pics sounds tricky but then you have to go to your computer and choose programs to make the piccys look 'awesome' like Vickies.......Ho hum so much to learn..... I live in between Macclesfield and Strathalbyn......

Krislin.....I want your Penny dog......she's so gorgeous :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tahna.....where are you in SA? I am waiting on my Nikon D80 being delivered...bought it 2nd hand on ebay yesterday.....I'm going to have to do a course cos everything is sounding SOOOO double dutch to me.....Have bookmarked your entry of Ben Fried - does he do a part 3......taking the pics sounds tricky but then you have to go to your computer and choose programs to make the piccys look 'awesome' like Vickies.......Ho hum so much to learn..... I live in between Macclesfield and Strathalbyn......

Krislin.....I want your Penny dog......she's so gorgeous :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I live in Morphett Vale, down the southern side of adelaide. We should do the next WEA course together so we can work together in between classes to practice :(

Just came back from doing afew practice picces down the beach. I realised why alot of my shots were so terrible last night... I had the ISO set to 1600 :eek: Have since changed that setting to 200 and it seems much better.

Another question that you wonderful DOL'ers might be able to help me with. I have the settings on the camera to take the shots at maximum quality however I notice if I look at the properties when the photos are saved on my computer they are saving at much less than the 10mp camera that I have. Some are saving at less than half. Is this because they are JPEG? When I do sucessfully fluke a good shot to have enlarged how do I know that the photo will able to be enlarged without going grainy? I want to enlarge a photo and have it framed as a gift. Any suggestions?

Do you tell him to Puck off? :rofl:

Actually I do sometimes and I have a giggle about it. If you met him I am sure you'd think the name suits him.

anyway I've just changed the lens over and shot these from my doorway. they look blurred because the maggies are behind a wire fence so I changed to manual focus. It's just all practice for me.

IMG_1107s.jpg

IMG_1106ts.jpg

IMG_1105s.jpg

and Penny, Pucks mum giving me lip

IMG_1109ts.jpg

Your photos are looking very nice.... you'll be a professional before you know it! :eek:

Krislin..

Notice how the first has a smaller DOF than the second yet both were shot at f/3.5.

DOF is not just related to aperture (aka fstop), it's also related to focus distance.

All other things being equal, same focal length, same aperture, the closer the subject is, the smaller the DOF.

aha! that is something I didn't know as such, very useful bit of information, thanks

I keep taking these head shots of my dogs with their eyes in focus and their noses out of focus (when looking at me), I don't like them. I always seem to just choose the shallowest aperture and zoom in as close as I can get, because I'm just thinking I do not want that background to be in focus, right?

So what I would have to do is open up the aperture a bit, what up to 6.5 or 7.1 ???? ... that way my background of fence-line and dirty long green/yellow weeds and grass etc. keeps out of focus while my dogs' noses as well as their eyes are sharp, is that correct?

As it stands, if I choose to step back a pace or so, I'm not filling the frame big enough with the dog, there is too much cropping room, and the lens doesn't zoom that far, but if I did that I would need to get back down to the shallowest depth of field possible, which as we have discussed here is at 55mm to f5.6? Would that have the same effect of ensuring my dogs eyes as well as their noses stay in focus with the background out of focus?

I'm not sure I fully understand any of what I just wrote ... help :eek:

oh, and that 50mm 1.8 sounds like something I should get my hands on :rofl:

I had a little practise today

I hope the post-production doesn't ruin it :laugh:

taken at f/5.0 and 55mm - eyes out of focus, nose in focus, and background well out of focus

chestershoot0001.jpg

taken at f/9.0 and 41mm - much more even focus, but maybe I had my point of focus on his muzzle, between his eyes and his nose?

chestershoot0003a.jpg

taken at f/9.0 again but lens at 21mm - focus is clear in at least his right eye and nose

chestershoot0008.jpg

another one at f/9.0 and lens at 25mm ...

chestershoot0010.jpg

I think f/9.0 has become my new practise thing. I've gotta get out of the habit of always keeping the aperture as shallow as possible :laugh:

... I am waiting on my Nikon D80 being delivered...bought it 2nd hand on ebay yesterday.....

Another question that you wonderful DOL'ers might be able to help me with. I have the settings on the camera to take the shots at maximum quality however I notice if I look at the properties when the photos are saved on my computer they are saving at much less than the 10mp camera that I have. Some are saving at less than half. Is this because they are JPEG? When I do sucessfully fluke a good shot to have enlarged how do I know that the photo will able to be enlarged without going grainy? I want to enlarge a photo and have it framed as a gift. Any suggestions?

Hi polomum, congrats on the D80!! :laugh:

Tahna, the MP (mega-pixel) count of your camera and the image file size (mega-bytes) are two separate things.

eg: polomum's Nikon D80 is a 10 megapixel camera. At it's maximum resolution setting, it will produce an image 3872 pixels by 2592 pixels

3872 x 2592 = 10,036,224 pixels or a little over 10 million (or Mega) pixels.

Recorded as a JPG, I'd expect the file size to be 4 - 5 MB (MegaBytes)

From a decent 10MP image you should be able to get quite a large print - probably larger than you're intending to give away...

This link may help you with print sizes http://www.bythom.com/printsizes.htm