Help - Blood And Runny Poo - All Better Now

benny123

Beanie has just done a very runny poo (in the lounge room - couldn't get outside in time) and it had blood in it. She then ran outside and seemed to be still trying to poo but only watery bloody liquid came out, not much, about the size of two 50 cent coins.

Background - Spud, our other dog had the runs yesterday and last night - had to let him out twice during the night (no blood, though) and seems OK today and this evening.

Beanie did a runny poo a couple of hours ago in the garden (no blood) and now this one with blood.

They are both fully vaccinated and are wormed every month (Sentinel Spectrum), we've not changed their diet recently.

What, other then Parvo can cause blood in faeces? Can fully vaccinated dogs get parvo?

Help....

Thanks

benny

Edited by benny123

It could be Gastro.. more precisely Haemorraghic? gastro.

Keep an eye on this. If it continues, it's vet time.... you don't want your dog to become dehydrated.

How old is Beanie. HG is commonly a youngish dog issue.. 2-4 year olds get it most.

Edited by poodlefan

She's 2 years old.

I'll try and find an emergency vet in the area - we've only lived here for 4 months so I'm no familiar with emergency vet clinics in the area.

Don't panic. Unless the runs continue, she's at very low risk of dehydrating... HG or anything serious is going to produce ongoing runs.

Don't feed her. Give her unrestricted access to water but fast her.

But if she looks roached, lethagic and the runs continue.. off to the vet. Where does she sleep.. can you monitor her overnight?

Edited by poodlefan

Just went through this with young Ziggy - I wasn't home but OH said he suddenly started shivering then had the runs (which OH, in his haste, managed to walk through the house *yucky* ) I kept an eye on young Zig (he was bright although happy enough to curl up in his bed with a warm coat on), fasted him for 24 hours (ad lib water), then tried him on a little boiled rice and chicken. 3 days later and he is jumping out of his skin! If it had gone beyond 24 hours and if he hadn't responded well to the chicken and rice I would have taken him to the vet.

All the best :)

Recently I had a gastro bug through my kennels. All 5 dogs got it. All 5 had diarrhoea with a little blood, all 5 had a slight bout of Kennel Cough a week or so before. All 5 continued to be extremely bright and happy. I fasted them all for 24 hours, then introduced boiled chicken and rice (frequent small meals) and gradually increased back to normal food over 10 days. They all recovered. BUT... these guys had no increase in temperature and as I said, very bright and happy. If you are worried in the slightest, take him to your vet. You know your dogs best, if he is not well, seek professional advice.

Thanks everyone - found and consulted the emergency vet.

Vet seems to think it's a mild gastro bug due small volume of poop/blood and the fact that Beanie is as bright as a button and then suddenly gets the urge to poo and is straining a bit. She thinks the blood is from straining (broken blood vessel) which she has been doing.

Since Spud also had a 24 hour gastric bug (with no blood) she thinks Beanie has caught it and her body is handling it differently.

No food for 24 hours and then steamed chicken and mashed potato (not rice), as apparently, mashed potato is digested more easily than rice.

If no improvement in the bowel movements in 24 hours or if she becomes flat and lethargic at any time, it's back to the vet pronto and with a sample. Sadly we'd cleaned them all up, hosed them away and disinfected the area and she didn't do another one for the vet.

We now have to break the news to her and her brother that they're sleeping in the laundry tonight with the back door open.

If you get the chance, get up in the middle of the night and check on her.

The only way I knew my boy was very ill was because I heard him go out to the toilet several times during the night. After the third time, I got up to find him roached, lethagic and with a bloody bum.

Keep a close eye on her but it sounds not too bad at the moment.

Mashed potato is new to me... it goes without saying you should't put butter or milk in it I suppose.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks poodlefan - yep, it was news to me too but the vet said plain old mash (no milk or butter) was much easier on the intestines than rice, so I'll give it a go. Sound feasible.

No prob with checking during the night - while I was typing the last post my darling caring husband was covering the our bedroom (where the dogs normally sleep) with industrial strength tarpaulins and industrial strength drop sheets (he's a tradesman) so we could keep an eye on her.

Our girl has just come out of having a moderate bout of haemorrhagic gastroenteritis. She had to be hospitalised for 2 days with it. She wasn't eating or drinking, lethargic, temperature etc. haem gastro isn't something that you can stick around and 'wait and see' because they dehydrate very quickly (especially puppies). Like everyone said.. just watch them and if you have the slightest feeling that things aren't right take them to your vet!

The vet had her on antibiotics and anti-ulcer medication to stop the bleeding, no food for 2 days and then a special ID diet for 3 days. Her bowels still aren't 100% right a week later, but we've just got her on a bland diet adding a few dry biscuits in the last few days.

hope your puupies get back to normal soon!!

Four more small sloppy poos (with a bit of blood) during the night - all outside as she woke us up. She's still her bright, happy bouncy self; no problems with hydration, she's drinking plenty of water.

Biggest prob at the moment is that she and her brother can't believe there's no breakfast. They're doing relays from the kibble bin in the laundry to the fridge in the kitchen (where the breakfast yoghurt is kept). OH has just taken them for a drive to the newsagent to get the paper to try and take their mind off food.

Kaos had a bout of gastro last week too - liquidy poos (no blood though), still pretty bright. You wouldn't have known something was wrong when we went to the vet :happydance2: . Fasted for 24 hours, then boiled chicken and rice and some medication (neosulcan). We are just reintroducing dry food now.