R.i.p Mawson

OzzieLioness

A little over two years ago, full of excitement and anticipation, I jumped on a plane to go and pick up "my lad". (I lived in a very isolated part of the country at the time) He was a Saint Bernard and one of the most loving and beautifully natured dogs I have ever owned. I did not know a whole lot about Saints, but before I made my decision on what breed I wanted, I did my "homework". I discussed diet, protein levels at different stages of his growth and innoculation schedules given my isolation with my Vet. I knew that hip and elbow scores were extremely important in these gentle giants.

When I was discussing the hip & elbow scores with the breeder on the phone both before I got there and at the time, she told me that her dogs had certainly been scored. On arrival there, I asked to see them and she said that the paperwork was yet to come back, but they were all good. Now, I'd just travelled 1,500km so what was I to do? Her breeder "blurb" said that she bred for soundness and all dogs were hip and elbow scored. She SEEMED honest enough .... and going away empty handed just was not very practical with the travelling I had to do. I did not want him put on planes to be sent to me on his own either. Personal reasons figured into it as well ... just went through a very bad divorce, I wanted a doggie companion so desperately .... ohhhhhh, if I KNEW then what I know NOW, I would have RUN! I feel SO STUPID!

Mawson provided me with two years of absolute delight. His "little" drooling problem never bothered me. The literal snowstorm of hair when he moulted just meant I had to carry a clothes brush sometimes. :) The love he gave me more than made up for any small problems. One day, almost five months ago, he was suddenly, painfully lame. I thought he must have been overzealous at play with my sons little dog and strained himself. Three days later, the lameness was chronic so I took him to my Vets. The news I got was that he had the WORST case of hip dysplasia he had ever seen. Mawsons xrays showed he had NO hip joints AT ALL.

From then on, he just got worse on a daily basis. He went from a loping, playful dog to one whose back legs were noticably wasted, could barely walk and was in obvious pain. Pills that the Vet gave me for him worked a little to make him more comfortable. I knew I was being selfish in wanting to hold on to him.

I contacted the breeder and she emailed me ... this is what she said regarding hip and elbow scores ...

They do not usually x-ray in the States or Canada so I have no history of family background on the sires side. The dam I bred and she is fifth generation and all have had very good hips and elbows. She has good hips but I would need to get a better x-ray to get her scored and I am not prepared to put her under for that. The Vet that took them went over the x-rays with me and said that her hips were very good. Hipscores are only a number and mean nothing. (His sire was an imported dog)

I had called her on the phone first, prior to email, to tell her about this and in discussion, she did ask me if Mawson was still an entire male (he was). In her email, she also said this...

As far as Mawson is concerned, I will take him back, have my vet x-ray him and if he is as bad as you have stated I will put him down

How does THAT work? You get a "faulty" one and because he didn't shoot blanks, she'd take him back and give you a new one ?!? (or so it seems to me). Interestingly, she refused to put HER dog through x-rays to get better ones for hip scoring, but was happy to put MINE through it AGAIN!

Mawson went peacefully to doggie Heaven two days ago. I am sure he is pain free, chasing butterflies and jumping from cloud to cloud!

Rest well, my beautiful friend

You nearly have me in tears. I struggled to make the decision to euthanase my dog last year after her illness deteriorated. It's heart wrenching watching them suffer yet something makes you want to keep hanging on to them. I cancelled my dogs vet appointment three times and had to hang up from not being able to talk through tears when the receptionist asked me what she was coming in for. It was such a sad time in my life but eventually you will feel better.

I wont go on with what I think about this breeder cos I wouldn't be able to keep it nice. If this breeder is registered, write a letter of complaint to their governing body and have them dealt with. If they are claiming to have good hip scores then they should prove it otherwise they are misleading people and that is not fair.

• 2 weeks later...

Omg hun, that is just so horrible :laugh::

RIP Mawson :(

I am from Canada & we DO have xrays over here & dogs have been xrays for years over here, so I'm not sure what she was going on about. Definitely contact the controlling body if she is a reg'd breeder. That is just WRONG of her to that to you :cheer:

So sorry you had to go through that :laugh: