Wooden Or Plastic Dumbbell

Tali

Hi all

I'm just starting to trial in CCD with my Sheltie, Jess, but am also trying to begin getting her interested in a dumbbell, as I think this is going to take a long time with her.

She plays fetch with a soccer ball sized, fluff filled kids ball (much to the kids dismay) but I have bought her a medium sized plastic dumbbell, threw it for her and she ran up and mouthed it, found it was a "hard" toy and now she just watches me throw it and ignores it. Would it be worth trying a wooden one, and if so, where do you get them? Maybe it would feel different in her mouth?

I have read an old thread about dumbbell training, which has given me some ideas of different things to try, but would welcome any suggestions for dogs that just don't seem interested in any "hard" toys. She has only ever wanted to play fetch with soft toys (the larger the better, even though she's a small dog), and anything a bit harder she just doesn't want to play with.

thanks for any help offered!

You can buy dumbells from most obedience clubs. The nylon ones are a lot heavier than the wooden ones.

Retrieve needs to be taught in teeny steps that are then linked together. Don't try to teach a formal retreive as one exercise (like playing fetch).

Your dog needs to be taught a hold with different items

I've found lots of places online overseas that sell wood dumbbells, but they are quite expensive when you factor in the shipping! I'm getting a little desperate now though and am considering it.

Jedi HATES having plastic in his mouth so it is really putting us on the back burner dumbbell-wise. I am just using a piece of dowel at the moment instead. Once he has the wood down pat we can try other objects/materials.

Ahsoka doesn't mind the plastic - she'll put anything in her mouth!!

Thank you all - if the wooden ones are lighter I might try to find one of them, as I think the plastic one is a bit heavy, even though the sizing is Ok for her mouth etc.

Dogdude - thanks for the advice about little steps - I've had no clue whatsoever about how to teach the dumbbell. We're a long way off yet - only one pass in CCD and another trial this weekend, but I don't know how to start with the next bits, so I figure get learning early (as in me learning - Jess seems to pick it up pretty easy once the dummy on the other end of the lead gets it sorted!).

Terranik - Love the piccie of Jedi - I guess you are doing obedience with him? I used to do it years ago with my first Kees, but Tali snuck under my radar and now will only work for food (and at 13 1/2 I'm willing to let her get away with that). He (Jedi) is a lovely looking boy though!

Thank you all - if the wooden ones are lighter I might try to find one of them, as I think the plastic one is a bit heavy, even though the sizing is Ok for her mouth etc.

Dogdude - thanks for the advice about little steps - I've had no clue whatsoever about how to teach the dumbbell. We're a long way off yet - only one pass in CCD and another trial this weekend, but I don't know how to start with the next bits, so I figure get learning early (as in me learning - Jess seems to pick it up pretty easy once the dummy on the other end of the lead gets it sorted!).

Terranik - Love the piccie of Jedi - I guess you are doing obedience with him? I used to do it years ago with my first Kees, but Tali snuck under my radar and now will only work for food (and at 13 1/2 I'm willing to let her get away with that). He (Jedi) is a lovely looking boy though!

Yeah I do OB with Jedi. He's coming along well, but has just hit his teenage hood... :rofl: Your Tali is beautiful!! I can't believe she is 13 1/2! Certainly doesn't look it!!

Shoemonster - thanks for that site!!

Thanks for the link Shoemonster - have emailed and going to order scent discrim stuff as well - not sure that we'll EVER get that far, but at least I'll have the stuff if I do (not sure where else to source any of this). We can play with it at home, even if we don't ever need it in the ring!

Appreciate all your help people!

No worries!

I use a plastic dumbell cos as I was teachin it Molly would just roll and chew the wood, she snapped hers in half :banghead: Now I have her solid with holding I will bring the wooden articles back in, got to get her holding wood eventually!

Molly should be named JAWS!!!!! :clap:

The lightest dumbell I have had was a wooden one from J & J Dog Supplies (USA), worth the money but another dog chewed it

I have one of the rounded ones like on the Australian site, it was given to me from Queensland so could even be the same place. It is a great dumbell but a little heavier than the J & J one (but still light) - Bella tends to find the rounded mouthpiece more comfortable

Edited by helen