How To Teach The Send Away?

Hi all, I've done a search of the forum but I am having trouble returning some relevant results so please forgive me if I have duplicated previous threads!

I would like to teach my 22 month old Labrador Retriever the send away for obedience, but not quite sure how to do this. I messed around a bit yesterday at a school oval by having her watch me place a treat a few metres from her then releasing her to go and get it, but not sure if this is the correct method to start training this. So is there anyone who can please give me some step by step instructions on how to teach this effectively, ultimately having them sitting in the square? (which I realise will probably need to be taught much later after we nail the first part but good to be prepared!)

I'm not even sure if there is a common command used for this exercise and I don't want to start using one of my own if I am gonna sound like a right moron yelling it in the ring :rofl: So tips on used commands would also be helpful! :laugh:

I did a YouTube search for videos of people teaching the send away, but didn't get too lucky. So if anyone knows of any videos that demonstrates how to teach this with a dog that doesn't yet know it properly that would be :thumbsup:

Thanks to anyone who can help!! :confused:

I have taught a send away, but a different one to that used in ANKC obedience, more like a SchH style send away. For what you want, I would start with teaching her to go to the box on command and work on the sending once she understands that. I'm sure some people who have trained this exercise will come here and help.

OK and here is a video of mine, even though different to what you want, just because ;)

With the introduction of UDX - most of the triallers in WA are now teaching the dog to sit in a hula hoop and then gradually moving the hoop further and further away. Once the dog has this down pat - they then start introducing the 4 cones with the hoop in then middle and then they gradually cut the hula hoop down.

Oh Ptolomy thank you! I've been wondering how I was going to manage making a box considering the last time someone let me loose with PVC pipe was well best not spoken about. ;) A hula hoop never occured to me. Brilliant!

Ruby in my experience most people use the word 'box' as the command.

Boxes are easy. You go to Bunnings and ask for 4 x 1.2 m lengths (or whatever length 1.5m is the trial but 1.2 fits better in my car) - I got 25 mm PVC. Purchased the 4 corner sections and assembled at home. Easy ;).

Thanks for the replies and the ideas on how to make a box!

So basically we want to work backwards from the box? Standing next to it, encourage her inside, and slowly over time increase the distance we start away from the box before asking her to go in? I can't see her running to it with enthusiasm though, is there anything we can do to help this along?

Is send away asked for before UDX? Is there any difference or reasoning behind teaching with a hula hoop and cones over a box made from pipe? Which is used in trials, a solid box or 4 cones?

Yep Kavik you are correct - UD is a box, UDX is cones. Ruby I'll see if I can track down which clip I put my preliminary hoop work on when I started with my baby. It might give you some ideas. I think from memory Ptolomy picked it to pieces but hopefully its a starting point.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4V8GL60mM

Edited by ness

I think from memory Ptolomy picked it to pieces but hopefully its a starting point.

Its called CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM :(

and getoverit! :o

We have only started using a hula hoop since UDX was introduced - and by teaching the dog to sit in the hoop - you can then move the hoop anywhere to generalise the behaviour.

Further down the track you can put the hoop in the box and gradually fade the hoop, or put the hoop in the middle of the cones and once again gradually fade it.

This is a great exercise to teach with a clicker.

Edited by Ptolomy

:o Ptolomy I am over it considering she can now go the length of our front nature strip and sit in the hoop.

Its also interesting that she had no problems generalizing it to a box even without having the hoop there. A friend had the UD gear out at agility one evening and I thought I would just try and see what happened. Within a matter of about 5 minutes she was offering going 5-6 m reliably and sitting in the box.

So basically we want to work backwards from the box? Standing next to it, encourage her inside, and slowly over time increase the distance we start away from the box before asking her to go in? I can't see her running to it with enthusiasm though, is there anything we can do to help this along?

Have you done any work with her on going to any target? I'd be doing this, and getting lots of speed and enthusiasm about going away to a target in general, before making it any more formal. Once you've got your 'go to target', you can then put the target inside the box (or hoop - great idea, thanks, Ptolomy :( ) and still have the same enthusiasm.

I usually start with a plastic lid - lure by putting food on it a couple of times, then click/verbal mark and race up with food or toy as the dog gets to the target and performs the nose touch or paw touch you want. If the dog is toy motivated, even better, as you can have a great game with the toy when the dog correctly performs the taarget behaviour. When you're playing this game, don't be afraid to rev the dog up - and even race them sometimes. You can always put the formal bits in later.

Mind you, this can sometimes backfire. My previous BC boy was zeroed for anticipation in a UD sendaway/directed jumping one time - as soon as the judge sad "Are you ready?", Sam took off - then about half way to the box, turned with a puzzled look on his face which said - 'Oops - I don't think that was quite right.' Judge was laughing so hard he could barely say "Part exercise finished". I was a happy camper too - my boy was 12 at the time - and at that age, enough enthusiasm to get him zeroed for anticipation was a great thing as far as I was concerned :o .

This video was taken over the last 24 hours. The US Open -Texas, (mainly professional trainers/handlers) but a few dogs like this particular dog (BTW owner/handler lives and trains 95% of time in his home state of Alaska) - which is rather cool, in more ways than one. HA!!!

The mechanics of the test, might not be too clear.....nevertheless it shows two hidden birds, one rather simple land with a diversion, and a water blind, being retrieved.

Hope you enjoy the link:

http://www.working-retriever.com/08nrc/Vid...mp;3series.html

Yep Kavik you are correct - UD is a box, UDX is cones. Ruby I'll see if I can track down which clip I put my preliminary hoop work on when I started with my baby. It might give you some ideas. I think from memory Ptolomy picked it to pieces but hopefully its a starting point.

Thanks for the link to the video! Was the constructive criticism of the video done in a thread that the rest of us wanting to teach send away could benefit from reading? :laugh:

Thanks Kavik as well for the clarification on box/cones in UD and UDX :rolleyes:

Have you done any work with her on going to any target? I'd be doing this, and getting lots of speed and enthusiasm about going away to a target in general, before making it any more formal. Once you've got your 'go to target', you can then put the target inside the box (or hoop - great idea, thanks, Ptolomy :p ) and still have the same enthusiasm.

I usually start with a plastic lid - lure by putting food on it a couple of times, then click/verbal mark and race up with food or toy as the dog gets to the target and performs the nose touch or paw touch you want. If the dog is toy motivated, even better, as you can have a great game with the toy when the dog correctly performs the taarget behaviour. When you're playing this game, don't be afraid to rev the dog up - and even race them sometimes. You can always put the formal bits in later.

Mind you, this can sometimes backfire. My previous BC boy was zeroed for anticipation in a UD sendaway/directed jumping one time - as soon as the judge sad "Are you ready?", Sam took off - then about half way to the box, turned with a puzzled look on his face which said - 'Oops - I don't think that was quite right.' Judge was laughing so hard he could barely say "Part exercise finished". I was a happy camper too - my boy was 12 at the time - and at that age, enough enthusiasm to get him zeroed for anticipation was a great thing as far as I was concerned :laugh: .

She knows "bed" and I can send her to lay on there no troubles. She knows a little bit of targeting with her nose on a target or on my hand, but I haven't kept up with the target training with something on the ground for her nose (or feet) to touch.

I think I need to try my luck with the real enthusiastic game approach, as without it she is a bit flat ;) She loves it kept exciting and fun so I should hopefully get best results that way! That is funny about your dog going on the "are you ready?" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips :rofl:

This was Ptolomy's criticism:

Also next time you do a hoop session stand up - so the food is further away from her and give her time to think about what you want - I can see her looking and then you keep stepping in and luring her again.

:thumbsup:

Edited by ness