Food To Use When Obedience Training?

Guest english.ivy

Guest june.andnovas

We started last week and going again tonight. Last week I used dried liver and Ivy soon got bored of it as I use that when I'm grooming her. The trainer told me that whatever I use that it must only be used for training. So dried liver isn't possible.

What else would be a good idea? I have some left over premuim dog roll which she likes so I was thinking of using that tonight. What do you use for training? I've found the softer the food is the more it gets her attention.

Don't really want to be using a food that is high in salt, colours etc as she's get quite a lot during the hour training period.

We use kibble (a small handful goes a long way), small pieces of cheese and pieces of cooked carrot.

Occasionally I will use a cocktail frankfurt, and cut it up really tiny and mix it with kibble. The frankfurts aren't really good for them though so I wouldn't use them regularly, but it's handy because the kibble gets the smell from the frankfurt and then he is more interested in the kibble than he would normally be.

Edited by Blossom

I have found the secret is to keep it varied. If the dog knows what the reward is it can choose whether or not to work for it. If you keep it mixed up the dog never knows if it will be a superduper good treat this time. It also stops them getting bored with the treats.

My treat bags usually have a selection of (not necessarily all of these at once, maybe about 5) cheese, chunkers, raw chicken, cooked chicken, frankfurts, cabanossi, devon, supermarket dry treats, popcorn, kibble (mine are raw fed so kibble is the ultimate to them LOL), rice crackers, plain biscuits. I also carry chicken necks for when they do something incredibly well.

Charlie was obedience trained with a tennis ball as he wouldn't work for food. I used treats to mark the right position but as soon as there was the slightest break (even 2 secs was fine) I threw the tennis ball into his mouth. It kept him motivated to work as he wanted the ball again.

ETA: I also trained a foster puppy with chopped raw chicken hearts one night. I ended up with hands covered in blood by the end of it but the results were amazing LOL

Edited by DeltaCharlie

Guest june.andnovas

a selection of treats is a great idea! Ivy doesn't get dry anymore but she just adores RC. She was farting enough to make you feel eww from eating dry.

You need to find a really special food that your dogs dont normamly get, and one that your dog will do anything for. If I use kibble or dog treats they will eat it but lose interest very quickly.

It also needs to be soft and small so they are straight down the throat .... you dont want anything they have to chew much.

I mainly use hot dogs and chicken loaf as it can be cut into small neat pieces and I dont get crap all over my hands.

Cheese is good but will melt and stick everywhere.

:thumbsup:

Boiled chicken breast works well for me.

and if you don't mind icky...diced raw ox heart.

Also, I often mix Advance Puppy Rehydrateable with the chicken breast or ox heart. The Advance puppy pixs up the flavour of the chicken (or ox heart). My goal is to transfer the value of the chicken

(or ox heart) to the Advance Puppy!!

If we have any left over sausages, steak or hamburgers, I chop them up and freeze in ziploc bags for doggie treats. I use home brand chicken and ham roll from Aldi's or Coles and chop and freeze that as well. I try and make up a bag of mixed treats and add some kibble, cheese and kabana to the mix so they never know what they're getting.

I tried slow-drying sliced chicken thigh in the oven overnight, but for the time, energy and power used, it wasn't worth the effort. The dogs loved it, but they love cheap old ham and chicken loaf just as much and it's much easier to prepare and less messy to carry around.

Guest belgian.blue
I just got a sample of Best Mates treats in with my latest online order... my two loved them, and I thought they tasted pretty good too!

they sound pretty good! I'd bought some fancy human carob chocolate the other day and shared it with Ivy and she loved it. Tasted strange but that was because it was all natural and sugar free.

Doesn't seem you can order it on their site so I will check out petshops in Melb and see if I can find us some!

What site did you get your sample from? Will you be ordering more?