Getting Weight Off Some Chunky Dogs

Bartok

Just after some advice or a simple diet for a couple of dogs in care.

They are in a kennel environment and a little bit on the think side.

So need to come up with a simple but effective diet plan for them.

1 is a Rotti and the other a Husky- both female.

I have cut out their dry food and was going to put them on raw bone only diet

Not sure if this is right nutritionally for them.

So just after some thoughts.

I need it to be as simple and easy as possible to prepare

Edited by Bartok

from another post

best stripping diet

1 carcass each for afternoon tea

a couple of cups of brown/white rice mixed boiled with carrot, brocolli stems, lettuce leaves, stock cube, zuchinni, celery etc whatever is leftover. Dont go the best bits give the left overs!

now when they get the rice they get it all cooked up, pour some warm water over it to make a soup. Fills them up and they are not hungry.

If they are, tough. Dont worry about them it can take their stomachs a while to shrink down but the cooked rice in a soup form will fill them up no worries.

They will lose weight in no time. If they dont then give them half a carcass instead of a whole. You can add some flax seed oil to their rice mix to keep their coats nice and shiny.

just to add, I would feed them twice a day as well, not just once. Give them the rice/vege mix in the morning then the carcass in the arvo.

Edited by Nekhbet

from another post

best stripping diet

1 carcass each for afternoon tea

a couple of cups of brown/white rice mixed boiled with carrot, brocolli stems, lettuce leaves, stock cube, zuchinni, celery etc whatever is leftover. Dont go the best bits give the left overs!

now when they get the rice they get it all cooked up, pour some warm water over it to make a soup. Fills them up and they are not hungry.

If they are, tough. Dont worry about them it can take their stomachs a while to shrink down but the cooked rice in a soup form will fill them up no worries.

They will lose weight in no time. If they dont then give them half a carcass instead of a whole. You can add some flax seed oil to their rice mix to keep their coats nice and shiny.

just to add, I would feed them twice a day as well, not just once. Give them the rice/vege mix in the morning then the carcass in the arvo.

They get brisket bone in the evening. So wasn't going to change that.

The main feed is in the morning. So that is where it has to be implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found All Vet's Natural Weight loss worked really well and was easy to use - just soak the stuff overnight and mix it with raw (or cooked if they prefer) meat. I use it now when I can't be bothered doing vegies and my two really like it.

Feed 2% daily of their ideal weight... If the ideal weight is 10kg, you should feed 200 grams of food per day.

I used this formula on my GSD.. She died earlier this year... I rescued her, when she was 5 and she was severely overweight...

I use for pugs 1 to 2 chicken necks a day and some veggie slops.

So maybe for larger dogs 3 chicken necks and some veggie slops. Kangaroo is probably the lowest in fat of meats so maybe you could grab some roo tails and replace the brisket bones with them.

If you feed a RAW/BARF diet it's not really about what you feed but about how much you feed. BigBen is right in saying feeding should be approx 2% of their ideal weight.

And of course lots of exercise.

I have taken over 10kg off each of my boys over the last year. Did it by brutally cutting down the quantity and substituting some of it with boiled and mashed pumpkin which is fantastically low in calories but adds bulk to their meals. Also gave them low fat yoghurt and sardines for the fish oil.

This is their diary of their weight loss. You can go right to the back to see how fat they were at the start.

http://wp.aucado.us/?page_id=42

Wow Balgrael you can really see the difference in Bud & Chip in the photo's they look great! :laugh:

I noticed Chip has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and that he is on Thyroxine, was that before or after you started the calory restriction? was just wondering because i know when the metabolism is so slow dieting has very little effect on weight loss same thing happens in people.

Wow Balgrael you can really see the difference in Bud & Chip in the photo's they look great! :laugh:

I noticed Chip has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and that he is on Thyroxine, was that before or after you started the calory restriction? was just wondering because i know when the metabolism is so slow dieting has very little effect on weight loss same thing happens in people.

Hey there, thanks so much. Yeah, very happy with how they are now. They both need to lose another kg each but not pushing it. Chip was diagnosed before the diet started, or around the same time from memory, so going on the Thyroxine and dieting at the same time kind of worked together to get the weight off him. Funny thing is we got his thyroid tested for his poppy eye, not for his weight, and turns out his poppy eye has nothing to do with it but his weight did. :shrug:

Chip had his panels done a couple of months ago and his Thyroxine was increased so he is now on 1 1/2 tablets twice a day.

Edited by Belgrael

Belgrael they look SO much happier and healthier :thumbsup: congratulations on stripping their weight down

I never understand how people say a fat dog is a happy dog :laugh: breaks my heart to see the little waddlers

Bartok hows the diet going at the moment?

Feed 2% daily of their ideal weight... If the ideal weight is 10kg, you should feed 200 grams of food per day.

I used this formula on my GSD.. She died earlier this year... I rescued her, when she was 5 and she was severely overweight...

2% is far too much for a Husky.

1-1.5% is ideal for a sibe.