Puppy Behaviour After Desexing

Melissa4

Hi guys,

My two pups just recently got desexed and ever since - OH MY, very bad beahviour, and many piddles.

The two were desexed on Friday and were told to stay inside for 10 days.... No doubt they are bored, but they are being SO naughty.

When I bring them outside to go to the toilet, they run on the road (lucky it is a VERY quiet street) and they just pretend that Mikey and Ralphy aren't their names.

They even have to stay inside while we are not home as the vet thinks that being outisde may impose a risk of their stitched up cuts. - Personally, their cuts are looking fine, and they would be fine outside, but I have to listen to the vet.

When we are home, we take them outside and get them to go to the toilet, the come inside and cock the leg. They were doing so well before, with only SOME mistakes (which wsa understandable since they are still puppies) - Now the legs are cocked anywhere and they also poo alot more as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this behaviour, or has experienced something similar.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Mel

Edited by Melissa4

Hi guys,

My two pups just recently got desexed and ever since - OH MY, very bad beahviour, and many piddles.

The two were desexed on Friday and were told to stay inside for 10 days.... No doubt they are bored, but they are being SO naughty.

When I bring them outside to go to the toilet, they run on the road (lucky it is a VERY quiet street) and they just pretend that Mikey and Ralphy aren't their names.

They even have to stay inside while we are not home as the vet thinks that being outisde may impose a risk of their stitched up cuts. - Personally, their cuts are looking fine, and they would be fine outside, but I have to listen to the vet.

When we are home, we take them outside and get them to go to the toilet, the come inside and cock the leg. They were doing so well before, with only SOME mistakes (which wsa understandable since they are still puppies) - Now the legs are cocked anywhere and they also poo alot more as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this behaviour, or has experienced something similar.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Mel

Hi Mel

Is your yard not fenced.......??

If not you must take them out on a lead AT ALL TIMES if not you will be in for heart ache for sure.

Before the desexing where were they normally housed ?

How old are the pups ?

Malisa

Edited by malisa1

I am a little confused by your post. How are the dogs getting out the front and on to the road? You say you want to leave them outside, so I'm presuming the back garden is fully fenced and dog proof?

How old are your puppies? If they are already cocking their legs, they can't be little puppies.

The stress of going to the vets and feeling a bit out of sorts after the surgery may have caused a relapse, but nothing that can't be undone. I would go back to basics with them with their house training and I'm sure they will 'get it' again very soon once their routine goes back to normal.

They are 5 and 6 months old, they have been cocking their legs for 2 months now. I let them out the front to piddle - they usually don't run away. They aren't aloud out the back with the oth(my land lords cattle dog) because they may get a little rough(according to vet).

Today was the first time they have run on the road. WE have taken them for walks, and let them run a little off leash in our suburbs off leash area - they enjoyed that, but as soon as we got back, they went back to naughty behaviour.

My dogs usually go outside during the day, our yard is fenced. but the vet has said they must be indoors for 10 days, which I think is a little long, specially since we can't be at home all day since we both work and I study as well.

I'm just out of ideas. I got home from work and ask the OH when he took them out. 10 and 20 minutes ago. Went into the bathroom and one had piddled. Its just getting so frustrating and making out house just seem so dirty!

:confused:

I got my male pup desexed at five months. The vet asked me to limit his play but didn't ask me to keep him inside. He went out as usual to do his stuff. There wasn't any change in his behaviour. Unless your yard is unsecure, I see no problem with their being outside, particularly after six days.

They are 5 and 6 months old, they have been cocking their legs for 2 months now. I let them out the front to piddle - they usually don't run away. They aren't aloud out the back with the oth(my land lords cattle dog) because they may get a little rough(according to vet).

Today was the first time they have run on the road. WE have taken them for walks, and let them run a little off leash in our suburbs off leash area - they enjoyed that, but as soon as we got back, they went back to naughty behaviour.

My dogs usually go outside during the day, our yard is fenced. but the vet has said they must be indoors for 10 days, which I think is a little long, specially since we can't be at home all day since we both work and I study as well.

I'm just out of ideas. I got home from work and ask the OH when he took them out. 10 and 20 minutes ago. Went into the bathroom and one had piddled. Its just getting so frustrating and making out house just seem so dirty!

:)

10 days is a long time to be indoors....my vet said 24 hours inside, and 1 week of not playing in puddles.

re: the running away, this might have nothing to do with the desexing, but rather their age. My pup used to stay with me in my unfenced front yard while I collected the post, put the bin out etc, then at 5 months he just took off one day. They are at the age when they want to explore and will, if given the chance.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking 10 days is way too long aswell - they are drving me and themselves mad. I didnt mis hear the vet either, its written on the sheet they gave me.

Thanks so much, they'll be going outside in the morning for a much needed engergy burn.

mel

Hi Mel,

I have a 5month old Maltese male puppy who has just been castrated.

The sheet our vet gave us said to keep them inside for the next 24hrs to keep them warm. After surgery they may have trouble keeping warm. He said just don't walk/run them for 24hrs.

We were suprised to find the next day our puppy was running around the yard and totally happy. His wound looks great and he is in our fenced yard all day.

I think 10 days inside would be MURDER for a pup! (and you!!!!)

Maybe take a look at the wounds and keep them in a fenced yard where no other dogs can get in and be too rough.

Our puppy also cocks his leg to pee and has done so for a couple of months.

Do you have any troubles with them pooing in the house?? (are they maltese?)

One is pure Maltese and one is MalteseXShihtzu (very Maltese though)

and... We most certainly do!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know when one is about to do it, because he runs around sniffing (literally running) So I pop him outside, he scratched to get back in and two minutes later there is a stinky poo on the carpet!!!!!!

I have to admit, they are getting a bit better (the weeing isn't) But they are learning that poos are good outside, not inside.

I'm just at whits end with the weeing, everything 30 minutes is getting the better of me!

Do you have the same problems??

P.s 10 days is way too long! Their wounds are looking great, and today the OH updated me, they were outside all day, and they were fine and tired out! (finally) Just walked in with brown socks on from the partially wet day

I have heard that weeing inside after that operation is not uncommon - my boy did that a couple of times a few days after the surgery but certainly wasnt regular.

I agree 10 days is too long - I think my boy was practically healed by then - certianly in no danger of the stitches coming out thats for sure.

One is pure Maltese and one is MalteseXShihtzu (very Maltese though)

and... We most certainly do!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know when one is about to do it, because he runs around sniffing (literally running) So I pop him outside, he scratched to get back in and two minutes later there is a stinky poo on the carpet!!!!!!

I have to admit, they are getting a bit better (the weeing isn't) But they are learning that poos are good outside, not inside.

I'm just at whits end with the weeing, everything 30 minutes is getting the better of me!

Do you have the same problems??

P.s 10 days is way too long! Their wounds are looking great, and today the OH updated me, they were outside all day, and they were fine and tired out! (finally) Just walked in with brown socks on from the partially wet day

Ok, I think you may need to look on one of the toilet training threads. firstly, as the others have said, please NEVER give the pups a chance at all of getting on the road :( Secondly, when training (and even forever for me!) you GO OUT WITH THE DOG , PRAISE FOR GOING TO THE TOILET, MAKE SURE IT GOES, THEN GO INSIDE. :) Never surmise that because the pup wants to be inside with you and the rest of the family, that it has 'been'. Even with older dogs, they may wait for you, and if you are inside, they may ask to come in, and haven't been to the toilet. I always check simply because I MUST know they have been if I'm off to work or bed, I don't want to be up at 3am because someone needs a wee. Little dogs will also go very often, while they are pups, I've had maltese. Their bladders are little. Maybe you could take their water up for a couple of hours or more. My dogs have never had water overnight from a very young age. Other than that, yes, puppies will go often. Are they actually going every single time they go out? Boys will also go whether they need to or not, sometimes just a few drops, to mark a spot. And I too have never heard of keeping a dog in fter desexing, just quiet. :p Hope it all works out for you :p

I have heard that the smaller the dog, the harder they are to house train and I can say that my Goldie caught on to asking to go outside for wees much quicker than my chinese crested (and I agree it is very frustrating). I would think 10 days is also a bit extreme so I would have no hesitation in letting them outside in a fully enclosed back yard, but I would separate them from the other dog. I think I'll wait until my puppy is at least 1yo before I desex him, by then the house training should be quite embedded in his brain (I hope).

I have heard that the smaller the dog, the harder they are to house train and I can say that my Goldie caught on to asking to go outside for wees much quicker than my chinese crested (and I agree it is very frustrating). I would think 10 days is also a bit extreme so I would have no hesitation in letting them outside in a fully enclosed back yard, but I would separate them from the other dog. I think I'll wait until my puppy is at least 1yo before I desex him, by then the house training should be quite embedded in his brain (I hope).

My shih tzu has been EASY to house train, i think the problem is the smaller the dog, the less they are treated like a dog, plus their baldders are smallwer, so it means more regular trips outside!! As the messes are smaller, many owners are less fastidoius about it, i remember when my mates great dane pup was 6 months old and someone shut the door yo the courtyard on her, that puddle was HUUUGE!! We always go outside with the dogs, and reward them for peeing/ pooing outside, and even now when my dogs are trained we still take them outside regulary and give the command "go to the toilet" so they have NO reason to hold on and have anccident when inside>

its funny actually, our friends maltese x used to be a buggar for holding on and then almost involuntarily peeing all over the floor, but when we got our pup we started taking the malt out to and giving them both the toilet command, ( as the malt stays at our place frequenty) we actually retrained our friends dog to go to the toilet on command, inadvertantly because he was with our pup so much.

this dog never even used to go in his own back yard, his owner used to always take him up to the top of the drive, so he would mark his territory, and he didnt like peeing when the grass was wet. i think it was more a case of the owner was to impatient to stand outside and WAIT until he went, and the dog learned he didnt have to go to the toilet when taken out, now he always goes , it just shows what a difference the type of training you do and how consistent you are with it.

Edited by radish

I think being able to say that a puppy is house trained depends on the person's definition of 'house trained'. I consider a dog house trained when they are able to tell you of their own accord that they want to go outside to the toilet. My goldie goes to the back door and does a solitary 'woof' to let me know she needs to go (she was also taught to wee on command). My puppy is starting go to the backdoor to tell me he needs to go out too.

If being housetrained means the puppy does wees and poos outside because I take him out often, then my puppy is largely housetrained too. :happydance2:

It is a slow process to get them there and some dogs seem to take longer to connect the dots than others. but with consistency and perserverance they will get there.

Size makes no difference.House training doesnt stop in my opinion until 12 months.

Whilst ours are always good by 10 weeks they are always still taught whats right & wrong until maturity.

One wee outside doesnt mean trained & whilst pups learn quickly when the communication between dog & owner stops without them fully knowing right from wrong you will get relapse

By allowing yours dog offleash out the front you are breaking the law & also placing your dogs at risk of being hit by a car or being a nuisance to other people.If there running away then they go back onlead because they obviously dont havea good recall or understanding of coming back

I have never heard a vet say indoors for 10 days,all certainly say minimize any risk to there stitches or infection.

It truly sounds like you need to go back to basics