Kibble/dry Food That Premium Or Better

chuckie500

My 11 year old whippet has been on Orijen and she has never looked better. I 'm so frustrated at having to find another food, but i have no choice as Orijen are pulling out of Australia.

I think we might try Artemis.

I'm taking my Orijen back tomorrow for a refund.

sigzephyr,just letting you know that there is no recall on the dog food as it has tested fine so unless its actually still unopened you won't get a refund,just thought I'd save you a trip if it's opened

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree its a bugger. Mine prefer Orijen over EP. I liked the Orijen becasue of the meat content. I still think EP fish formual is good but the formula of Orijen was better. If the irradiation depletes vitamins then I am glad not to use Orijen as I guess they were not getting all the benefits anyways. Im tossing the rest of it out. It is reassuring that no dogs have come down with it. I would like to see a statement from EP saying their food isn't irradiated though.

since putting both the big dogs on EP Holistic there coats have improved, Kaiser's has always been good, but now is even better. Chevy has always had a dull coat but since she has started EP (even though she is still getting a 50/50 mix with her old dry food) her coat is now much softer and shinier.

haven't yet noticed a difference in their farts though, but that could also be the chicken frames, cause Chevy really stank last night(the thunder storm made her a little nervous)

I would like to see a statement from EP saying their food isn't irradiated though.

Eagle Pack is apparently not irradiated. I e-mailed them earlier this week and this is the reply I got:

Please find below the statement we have issued to our stores:

In the last couple of days an article has appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald highlighting a series of ‘illness and deaths’ amongst Sydney cats linked to Orijen pet foods. Be assured that, Eagle Pack, as an importer of high quality pet food uses human grade ingredients only in our food and does not apply any un-natural chemical preservatives in the presentation of our food. We would also like to assure our customers that whilst Eagle Pack is produced in the USA we are not linked to Champion Pet Foods (producing Orijen Pet Foods).

There was also mention in this article about the use of irradiation treatment on pet foods. We are responsible to AQIS to fulfil many stringent obligations before we can bring food into this country. Once again Eagle Pack would like to assure our valued customers that our Super Premium and Holistic Select Pet Foods do not require any irradiation treatment to be sold in Australia . Eagle Pack Pet Foods are made with the finest quality ingredients backed by world renowned quality assurance procedures and processes.

As our front desk to the marketplace, know you are supported by our company if you have any enquiries regarding these recent events. Please feel free to contact us either via our customer service email address [email protected] or call Jennifer Knowles on 1300 8 EAGLE.

Please note that we do not irradiate any of our food so our dog, cat and ferret food is safe.

Cheers…….Jennifer

Jennifer a Knowles

Marketing and Sales

Eagle Pack Pty Ltd

Unit 1 320 Lorimer Street

Port Melbourne Vic 3207

Telephone: 1300 8 EAGLE

Email: [email protected]

My 11 year old whippet has been on Orijen and she has never looked better. I 'm so frustrated at having to find another food, but i have no choice as Orijen are pulling out of Australia.

sigzephyr,just letting you know that there is no recall on the dog food as it has tested fine so unless its actually still unopened you won't get a refund,just thought I'd save you a trip if it's opened

They are no longer stocking the dog food in Australia.

I had about half a 13 kg bag left and they are going to refund my money. I dropped it off to them today.

They are no longer stocking the dog food in Australia.

I had about half a 13 kg bag left and they are going to refund my money. I dropped it off to them today.

Wow,what shop was it?Maybe they don't know there's no refunds :rofl: .It will be out of there own pocket as there is defiantly no recall or refunds on the dog food.Thats great customer PR than :)

Edited by 4 Paws

Its a real pity about the Orojen thing, my two have never looked better on the Orijen and we have had no vet visits for his skin since switching from the EP. I'm unsure of what to put them on as i need something without a high fat content so i will need to do some research

Has anyone here fed ziwipeak?

I'm considering it for my cat and dog (who have both been on orijen for a couple of months, so I hope the cat doesn't get sick!). Our local pet shop sells small bags of it, and the cans, and I can order in the bigger bags.

Has anyone here fed ziwipeak?

I'm considering it for my cat and dog (who have both been on orijen for a couple of months, so I hope the cat doesn't get sick!). Our local pet shop sells small bags of it, and the cans, and I can order in the bigger bags.

There's another thread going about Ziwipeak. It's incredibly expensive. Nearly $100 for 5 kg!!! :laugh:

I absolutly love Orijen and so do my dogs. They eat it even if it's the second half of the bag, they have small poss, not runny, no farting, my old girl stopped shedding, they both have a shiny coat and have developed better than ever before. I'm trying to buy every bag of Orijen there is until they stop selling it. I don't know if there's much alternative. I'm inclined to try EVO but my ethics they no. I've tried Artemis and despite the fact that my dogs didn't like it, it had runny poos, farting ect. They also don't do well on BARF, so there's not much left, especially since Quen can't have chicken. :o

I absolutly love Orijen and so do my dogs. They eat it even if it's the second half of the bag, they have small poss, not runny, no farting, my old girl stopped shedding, they both have a shiny coat and have developed better than ever before. I'm trying to buy every bag of Orijen there is until they stop selling it.

And that's with the irradiation depleting all the vitamins and goodness out of it. Imagine how good it would be without irradiation!

I'd suggest giving Royal Canin a try if you want something similar to Orijen. It has a small amount to grain used to hold the kibble's shape or something like that (whereas Orijen has none), but otherwise you should expect the same in regards to all the things you mention you got from Orijen. If anything, I'd say RC poos are even smaller and firmer (and darker) than Orijen's.

I'd suggest giving Royal Canin a try if you want something similar to Orijen. It has a small amount to grain used to hold the kibble's shape or something like that (whereas Orijen has none), but otherwise you should expect the same in regards to all the things you mention you got from Orijen. If anything, I'd say RC poos are even smaller and firmer (and darker) than Orijen's.

I used to feed my old girl RC and that was pretty good. But I remember there was some bad press about them too just can't remember what it was.

I checked out ziwipeak at the store. It's not really a kibble, is it. It's a dried product and seems to be 100% meat. I don't know how come they don't get the irradiation treatment as I don't think it is even cooked. It seems to be a very high quality product. (And price to match).

I got a small 1kg bag of ziwipeak for the dog, and a 500g bag for the cat. They couldn't find prices or anything for the bigger bags. Both my guys went absolutely mental over the ziwipeak! Just a bit expensive, although I'm considering going over to home made BARF, with ziwipeak as a back up. The cat will probably stay on it, though, as it's not so expensive for a cat (and he's mums, so she just pays for whatever I buy him!).

My girl has done really well on the orijen, she loves it, and stopped constantly dropping her coat (which has been a first in over 12 months), has small, hard poos, and I was able to halve what I was feeding as she put on weight so easily with it. She is looking the best she's ever looked on it, but I'm still worried about continuing to feed it. I have about 1/4 of a medium bag, and a smallish unopened bag in the pantry.

I wonder if the reason the Ziwipeak doesn't have to be irradiated is because it's from New Zealand and is human quality meat?

I was recently told satin balls were fantastic for coat, is this true?

I absolutly love Orijen and so do my dogs. They eat it even if it's the second half of the bag, they have small poss, not runny, no farting, my old girl stopped shedding, they both have a shiny coat and have developed better than ever before. I'm trying to buy every bag of Orijen there is until they stop selling it. I don't know if there's much alternative. I'm inclined to try EVO but my ethics they no. I've tried Artemis and despite the fact that my dogs didn't like it, it had runny poos, farting ect. They also don't do well on BARF, so there's not much left, especially since Quen can't have chicken. :love:

Feel free to buy mine. We have about 10kg worth left (bought 13.5kg) and I'm not happy with his performance on it. He has a mix of hard and soft poos and has done since we started...I am a bit stubborn and wanted to peservere. I think I might try Eagle Pack.

Feel free to buy mine. We have about 10kg worth left (bought 13.5kg) and I'm not happy with his performance on it. He has a mix of hard and soft poos and has done since we started...I am a bit stubborn and wanted to peservere. I think I might try Eagle Pack.

Interesting. I've noticed that happening over the last month or so too, compared to all 100% firm for the first 6-8 months on it. I've been trying to work out why, and now it seems I'm not alone.

There may be something to this. Here's a theory - what's on the shop shelves were all brought in in the original shipment 6 months ago and the irradiation is causing it to lose its shelf-life. Or worse, a slow chemical reaction or decomposition. So it was fine a few months ago, but not now. It's supposed to have a shelf life (unopened) of a year or so, but who can expect any organic material to reman unaffected after being soaked in lethal doses of gamma radiation.

Gamma rays is what turned Bruce Banner into the Hulk, wasn't it? Or am I thinking of Spiderman?

Edited by anthony mazzeri

Every dog will react differently to different foods. My dogs faecal matter has not changed since being on orijen.

My guess would be that it just doesn't agree with Henschke.

I agree. We will keep him on it until we buy something else - might just get the small bags first and monitor his 'movements' for a month before deciding to buy large bags.

I'm thinking about holistic eagle pack. Have you tried it?