Orijien

poochmad

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Orijen rep on Cat World is saying that they are going to pull the dog food. She said this yesterday. They also don't seem to be 100% sure why the cats are getting sick.

ETA-Is it this part??

We did not know that irradiation was done at such high levels. Our investigation in this area is ongoing. We would not have allowed our foods to be put through this process if we were aware of this.

Please keep in mind that it took several weeks to determine that ORIJEN was indeed the issue. Once we received irradiated product, and smelled the product, we pulled off shelves immediately. Being that this was isolated to Australia, it was difficult to uncover. We have tested for numerous items before irradiation-see updated info for tests.

A comment was made that dog food is still on shelves-thank you for that, we will actively be working with retailers to pull this

A Champion rep will be visiting Australia- his primary focus to get 100% of dog and cat food OFF shelves.

If yes.the dog food is being pulled from the shelves but not recalled

Edited by 4 Paws

Perhaps she needs to read their own press http://www.championpetfoods.com/Australia_...mer_Release.pdf

Q: HOW DOES IRRADIATION AFFECT ORIJEN?

A: In recent weeks, Champion Petfoods has conducted extensive testing on ORIJEN Cat sold in Australia. From a combination of

laboratory test results, scientific papers from reputable journals, and consultation from various nutritional experts and veterinarians

around the world, we have discovered 2 primary factors:

1) VITAMIN A DEPLETION IN IRRADIATED FOODS

Our tests show that irradiation of ORIJEN Cat at 50kGY causes a depletion of vitamin A of up to 77%. The irradiation

levels applied to ORIJEN in Australia exceeded this amount.

We tested ORIJEN cat foods at varying levels of irradiation (0 kGY (control), 25kGY and 50kGY). The results show a

direct and linear relationship between the increase in irradiation dosage and vitamin A depletion. In other words, more

vitamins were depleted as the level of irradiation increased.

Literature published by the American College of Veterinary Pathologists (2007) shows that depletion of vitamin A from

irradiated cat food is associated with the same symptoms in cats as are reported in Australia (CASSIDY ET. AL, 2007).

An excerpt from the American College of Veterinary Pathologists’ study supports this finding:

“Both SPF (specific pathogen free) and conventional status cats had been fed to appetite on the same commercial formula ration

(Gilbertson and Page Ltd., Welwyn Garden City, UK), except that the ration fed to the SPF cats had been irradiated by a

single-exposure gamma-radiation treatment between 36.3 and 47.3 kGy (Cobalt 60 irradiator; Isotron Ireland, Tullamore,

Ireland). The irradiated diet was consumed to the same extent as the non-irradiated diet, and affected animals did not lose weight

until the developing ataxia hindered their access to food… Following supplementation of the irradiated diet with pasteurized

proprietary tinned cat food in the winter of 2001 and, ultimately, the replacement of the irradiated diet with an equivalent

pasteurized diet, no further cases occurred”.The report describes an investigation of 8 cases where the disease is associated with the long-term feeding of cats on a gamma-irradiated dry food diet. This study is available on the internet from the link below:

www.vetpathology.org/cgi/content/full/44/6/912

2) THE FORMATION AND RELEASE OF FREE RADICALS IN IRRADIATED FOODS

A second major impact of irradiation is the formation and release of free radicals.

Irradiation does not affect all foods equally. ORIJEN is a nutritionally dense food with much higher levels of long-chain

fatty acids (DHA, EPA) than conventional pet foods. These fatty acids are susceptible to oxidation following irradiation.

Bi-products from fatty acid oxidation, mainly free radicals, are released into the body with the potential to cause tissue

damage.

Combined with the loss of antioxidant vitamins (see Vitamin A described above), free radicals are thought to be a major

contributing factor.

When irradiation is applied to food, the molecular structure of long chain fatty acids (DHA, EPA) is altered. This causes

the formation of free radicals that are then released into the body.

ORIJEN CAT foods contain very high levels of EPA and DHA unsaturated fatty acids and therefore have a much greater

potential for free radical formation (in response to irradiation) than do conventional dry cat foods.

Scientific evidence shows that increased oxidative bi-products combined with decreased presence of antioxidant

vitamins (see above) are consistent with the symptoms shown in Australian cats. The fact that cats in Australia treated

with vitamin and antioxidant supplementation have shown improvements supports this finding.

An excerpt from the American College of Veterinary Pathologists’ study supports this position:

“Irradiation is known to reduce the vitamin content of food, the effect of which may be indirect, in that inadequate amounts of these

compounds may be available to counteract the effects of free radicals generated by normal cell metabolism. A previous study found

that irradiation of a feline diet containing 9.8% fat with a 2- to 5-Mrad dose totally destroyed its vitamin A and β-carotene content,

whereas thiamine, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), and folic acid were depleted to a lesser extent, and vitamin E concentrations appeared

to be unaffected by this dose of radiation. The relatively high dietary fat requirement of cats may be significant in this context

in that irradiation of this fat component could potentially generate higher concentrations of micronutrient-damaging free

radicals than would be generated on irradiating diets of lower fat content.”

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

If it's a case of free radicals being created by the irradiation, then the dogs will be affected as well - eventually. All those free radicals will cause long term damage and development of tumors and cancer etc earlier rather than later in life. Like getting sunburned as a kid, it eventually takes its toll. I'm not happy.

Also, the Orijen person mentioned that they noticed the incorrect smell immediately when they opened a pack of irradiated Orijen that was returned to them (in North America I assume). So does that mean that what we've all been smelling all along when we open our packs here is not what it was supposed to smell like? It smelled okay to me, but my sense of smell is not the best.

After recently moving my dog to Orijen, I found that if his poo is left out in the sun for long, it turns a whitish colour. It's normal otherwise. Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, we found this also! It occured if a poo was left for just a few days....

After recently moving my dog to Orijen, I found that if his poo is left out in the sun for long, it turns a whitish colour. It's normal otherwise. Has anyone else seen this?

Do you think this could be caused by the irradiation? Or is it just a result of high meat content?

I have two bags of Orijen. If it's a problem, I'm not sure if I should continue to use this. But apart from this, Orijen seems to have suited my dog very well.

You would get the same thing if you fed your dogs raw meaty bones.

It's actually a good thing as it indicates that the food is highly digestible with high meat/bone content.

You would get the same thing if you fed your dogs raw meaty bones.

It's actually a good thing as it indicates that the food is highly digestible with high meat/bone content.

That's great. Thank you so much. I am feeling relieved.

I think the *original* Orijen food is awesome.

However because of the irradiation when it enters Australia it is depleted from a lot of vitamins making it sub-standard.

As an end to the origina reason I started this thread (about being disappointed with my pup's reaction), we have since added Advance Adult to his mix (as it was purchased for another dog) and he gobbles it down and AT LAST, his poos are all lovely and firm!! Yippe!!

Seriously, this is the first time since we've had him (5 months).

Do you think the grain mix with Advance is 'evening' it out, or do you think that Orijen is just too rich for him?

Aside from "sloppy poos" and gas attacks in a few dogs being fed Orijen, has there been any documented illness or weakness in hindquarters or pain in dogs fed Orijen kibble? We're in USA and started feeding Orijen to our Cavalier in August '07. He was allergic to commercial foods containing grains. I thought we'd have to home cook forever and still do some home cooked dog meals, but Orijen Adult and particularly the Six Fish have been our Jake's main diet since we introduced it.

If it does turn out there is a problem for dogs on Orijen kibble such as what has been reported in cats due to irradiation before entering your market, that would be such a tragic thing. I feel so bad for the cat owners in the first place, and of course the suffering cats. Is it definite that it is the Orijen? I know it has been pulled from your market. Is it definite that this problem was caused by irradiation? On the one hand I can see from what I have learned that irradiating Orijen would not be a good thing at all and could produce a very dangerous result for the cats consuming it. However, some of the facts as presented in the news just don't add up for me.

I'm reading the info with interest because our Jake's Orijen kibble has never been irradiated as far as anyone can report. It just isn't done coming into USA from Canada. Jake has a vet appointment tomorrow to get a diagnosis on his pain, his sudden shaking and yelps, and most of all his no longer being able to jump up into my lap or in play with his toys he loves to retrieve and catch. Doubt very much it has anything to do with Jake's kibble and looking for answers. The vet will hopefully be able to pinpoint the problem and start him on the road to quick recovery.