Training Treats

just steam some chicken

it is cheaper and not salty like bbq - they do love bbq but dont give the skin

if youre doing heavy duty training them dont forget togive nutritious treats

i hate hate hate the idea that some trainers give sausage and i have even seen people using bacon and ham out of a pack

make sure it fits in with their dietary requirements- you can really stack on pups weight if youre using too many joules

Chicken is my preferred training treat! However I often use it for "special" training only and other times will substitute dinner or if I'm at the park I usually have dry kibble or Kramer's Chicken - small dried pieces of chicken, she found it better than the fish skeleton the other day :love: . I've sometimes used raw meat for training when I really really want to get their attention! Frankfurts go straight through my dog, so they're given a big miss in this house!

My dogs like liver, but bought liver-treats are too dry. So I buy a slab of liver from the butcher (huge chunk about 2.5kg, for $2.) Then slow-roast it in the oven, like any roast. Easy to cut into tiny squares, dry enough to handle without being messy, moist enough to be a taste sensation. And handy to mix a cup-full with their feed now and then for a change. I was thinking of being creative and see what happens to it with a few hours in the slow cooker, maybe next week.

I used to use sausage which the dogs loved but I found it difficult to handle because it was so slippery. Now I buy a bag of divine tempters which are like short thick straps and chop them into small pieces. Thye have a great smoky aroma that gets my dogs attention and often that of other dogs around us.

At only 9 weeks, be patient.

One of my kelpies wasn't all that keen on food at 9 weeks either, so we used short play sessions with a toy initially as reward. Now at 2 years old he is an absolute 'chow hound' - probably 50-50 with the toy now.

It can take time for their food preferences to develop.

I don't buy commercial treats, although they love 4 legs and are allowed to have it as treats sometimes like 'junk food' I guess - hideous!

I like softer treats that can be eaten quickly, so no schmakos or dried liver treats. I make my own liver training treats, but don't cook them as long as I would to dry them out so they stay fairly moist. I mix this with hot dogs, kangaroo sausage (very low in fat), little bit of cheese and chicken breast or roast lamb - when I have some left over from cooking for us.

I also make my own dog biscuits and will sometimes cut the dough up into very tiny training treat sizes to use as well - but I only use these if I intend to allow them enough time to chew - not for 'machine gunning' when clicker training.

If I want to reward away from me and need something big enough to toss, I cook up pasta - not very often but it's a good occasional one.

There was an email doing the rounds about treats from China (didn't realise the thread was on here) and one of the brands they mentioned was Kra-Mar I think, so worthwhile checking the labels if you buy commercial treats.

The things we do for our dogs !

A very clever and talented young junior handler showed one of our girls for us one day and she used what she called liver cake, which the dogs loved. I asked her about the ingredients and she wasnt totally sure but gave me some idea.

So me being me I came home and had an attempt at making it. It wasnt quite the same but hte dogs loved it and so that's what we use at both obedience and showing events. Its dry and not greasy or oily, can be cut like cheese into small cubes and has no fat etc in it. I simply used liver, egg, parmesean cheese, milk and self raising flour. It was ok.

But if anyone has a better recipe for it I would love it if they shared :)

Mercedes, what ammounts of these ingredients do you use?

I have fed most of these and recently tried cooking and drying out liver and Ox heart. At least the Ox heart did not smell as much.

My dogs mainly get their food at training, just some dry food later. A vet who also does agility training suggested I give more balanced treats. She said even VIp dog rolls would be better than a diet made up of most of the items already listed in this post. So I use the rolls at home and try other treats each WEd and Sat at training. ( BBQ Chicken for comps usually) Any advice?

Hard when your dog is about 4 kgs. Limits how many rewards the dog can get really. Lucky I have 2 so I can normally spilt up training time to cut down how much they earn to eat.

A very clever and talented young junior handler showed one of our girls for us one day and she used what she called liver cake, which the dogs loved. I asked her about the ingredients and she wasnt totally sure but gave me some idea.

So me being me I came home and had an attempt at making it. It wasnt quite the same but hte dogs loved it and so that's what we use at both obedience and showing events. Its dry and not greasy or oily, can be cut like cheese into small cubes and has no fat etc in it. I simply used liver, egg, parmesean cheese, milk and self raising flour. It was ok.

But if anyone has a better recipe for it I would love it if they shared :cry:

Found this receipe

LIVER CAKE RECIPE.

Those of you who show dogs may well have used Liver cake to bait your dogs in the ring but for those of you who may not have heard of it below we have printed the recipe for this cake as it seems to have the effect of holding your dogs attention whilst in the ring and has the added advantage of not making one's hands sticky.

8ozs Liver [preferably Lambs]

4ozs S/R Flour

2 Eggs

2 Cloves Garlic/ or 2 tsps garlic puree.

Put all the ingredients into a blender until the mixture is smooth, pink and runny [not too rigid a requirement if you prefer to make it a bit chunky' Pour into greased swiss roll type baking tin and place in the oven [Gas Mark 4] for around 30-40 minutes.

Leave to cool and cut into bite size pieces.

It can be frozen into individual bags [enough for a show] and makes enough for 4/5 shows.

But if anyone has a better recipe for it I would love it if they shared :cry:

Found this receipe

LIVER CAKE RECIPE.

Those of you who show dogs may well have used Liver cake to bait your dogs in the ring but for those of you who may not have heard of it below we have printed the recipe for this cake as it seems to have the effect of holding your dogs attention whilst in the ring and has the added advantage of not making one's hands sticky.

8ozs Liver [preferably Lambs]

4ozs S/R Flour

2 Eggs

2 Cloves Garlic/ or 2 tsps garlic puree.

Put all the ingredients into a blender until the mixture is smooth, pink and runny [not too rigid a requirement if you prefer to make it a bit chunky' Pour into greased swiss roll type baking tin and place in the oven [Gas Mark 4] for around 30-40 minutes.

Leave to cool and cut into bite size pieces.

It can be frozen into individual bags [enough for a show] and makes enough for 4/5 shows.

Thank you very much - will be baking cakes tomorrow night :laugh: