Puppy Gnawing His Feet

inbox

Hi everyone, I have a japanese spitz almost 6months old.

I've noticed that he bites his own feet/paw and that i can see on his coat there are red marks, almost as if there is blood. I'm worried that he is biting himself too hard and hurting himself. I wanted to know if this is normal behavoiur and ways of stopping him from doing so. I can only presume its when he is locked up in his pen to sleep, I do leave toys for him to play with as well.

Thank you

Does it look itchy or sore?

I used to have a staffy who chewed on his feet, he had a skin irritation between his toes but chewing and licking it made it so much worse. :thumbsup:

The grass in our yard at the time didn't agree with him.

My Frankie does this - He actually bites his nails off. The vet says that it could be that his nail beds are quite unusual in the way the protrude... I just keep his nails as short as I can at all times and always make sure his feet are clean and dry.

Is it just one foot? Front feet, back feet??

Could also be things like, blocked anal glands, fleas, worms, allergy to environment (eg using washing powder on the bedding, carpet sprays, grass etc) food allergy, grass seed or scratched foot that has developed into a habit, could just be boredom or stress at being left alone.

Sorry for the late reply since i've been busy. I am planning on taking him to see a vet this week and thank everyone for all the replies so far.

Does it look itchy or sore?

I used to have a staffy who chewed on his feet, he had a skin irritation between his toes but chewing and licking it made it so much worse. :laugh:

The grass in our yard at the time didn't agree with him.

The bottom of his paw doesnt seem to look itchy or sore.. just the red stains. Although i think he hates me handling his paws, he does let me look but after awhile its like.. give it back to me!

Maybe fleas, but more likely allergy related.

The red staining is usually from the saliva.

Agreed.. vet check .

I regularly check for fleas and apply advocate every month consistently.

Are the feet smelly?

His feet smells just like his breath and saliva..

Is it just one foot? Front feet, back feet??

Could also be things like, blocked anal glands, fleas, worms, allergy to environment (eg using washing powder on the bedding, carpet sprays, grass etc) food allergy, grass seed or scratched foot that has developed into a habit, could just be boredom or stress at being left alone.

It's all his paws, front n back although I think it more towards the back feet. He mainly walks inside my house so is exposed to walking on tiles and floorboards, other than that some grass time for his tiolet time. Food wise, i just feed him advance puppy food and some wet food from optimum or advance.

The only washing thing he is exposed to is just the shampoo we wash him with like every month, and i guess the washing detergent for his food. He sleeps in his crate since he has destroyed all the beds we give him.

Thanks again with all the replies, ill let you all know what the vet says.

It's all his paws, front n back although I think it more towards the back feet. He mainly walks inside my house so is exposed to walking on tiles and floorboards, other than that some grass time for his tiolet time.

Have you considered what you are cleaning the floor with?

Hi everyone , just a quick update

I took him to the vet and the vet said it doesn't seem to be anything serious as it isn't something regular. She mentioned to me about buying this spray on for him for his paws that will stop him from doing so but said it wasn't necessary since it did cost $100 or so. From what i can gather, because it she said I noticed he was also scratching his neck area then biting his paws, that it could be a food allergy. Or even the grass he walks on to do the deed, also boredom and being nervous. I asked the vet to check his ears for any mites, feet for any fleas and everything seems 100% for him which is great news.

I barely notice him gnawing his feet anymore, and now I think its just him being bored cause it is only when he is in his crate that it happens. I have been feeding him the same type of food since I first got him, although it maybe the new treats I have been buying for him.

About the cleaning of my tiles, I use steam to clean it.

Thanks for all the help.