Rally Obedience

Yes, that's the turn..when done right, it's quite elegant to watch...when not...well....won't go there!

As for those that excel in traditional obedience bombing out in Rally...VERY common! We like to humble those traditionalists!

Thats good to know then :thumbsup:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, that's the turn..when done right, it's quite elegant to watch...when not...well....won't go there!

Just so you know (if you haven't been told already at seminars), apparently Australians commonly call the left about turn a "pivot turn". Any tips on doing it right/well... regardless of what it's called?

That's a different turn altogether. The left About Turn has handler doing a U turn (left turn into the dog) the dog does the about turn (right turn)

Just so you know (if you haven't been told already at seminars), apparently Australians commonly call the left about turn a "pivot turn". Any tips on doing it right/well... regardless of what it's called?

That's a different turn altogether. The left About Turn has handler doing a U turn (left turn into the dog) the dog does the about turn (right turn)

Yep that's what is called the pivot turn here :thumbsup:

I think in normal obedience trials, when asked to do left about turn you can either turn into the dog and the dog has to turn on the spot/pivot or you can do the pivot turn where the handler pivots and the dog goes around.

Help Anglesun

Is my understanding of the station "Halt-Call Front-Finish Right" correct?

When the dog has to go to heel at the right hand side of handler without sitting as handler moved forward, does the dog then need to heel on the right hand side of the handler until the next station?

If not, how do you get the dog back to the left heel position?

Ohhhhhh Hurry Hurry 25 April, I need instructions on the exercises so that I don't confuse my class members any more than they already are :(

Looking forward to reading your reply

Thanks

Wendy

Helen

I know, the 270 one gets me all the time as I can only cut the circle into 90, 180, 360. :(

What did you think of the rest of the course?

You will have to join us one Thurday night and run through the course with the other class members (don't tell Helen though will you)

Wendy

Ohhhhhh Hurry Hurry 25 April, I need instructions on the exercises so that I don't confuse my class members any more than they already are :(

Thanks

Wendy

Have you joined the yahoo group? There are excellent descriptions of the exercises in the file section.

When the dog has to go to heel at the right hand side of handler without sitting as handler moved forward, does the dog then need to heel on the right hand side of the handler until the next station?

I'm not Angelsun, but his is from the overseas 2008 regulations...

"Call Dog Front–Finish Right–Forward–While heeling, the handler stops forward motion and calls the dog

to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backward

as the dog turns and moves to sit in the front position. Second part of the exercise directs the handler to

command and/or signal the dog to change from the front position by moving to the handler’s right,

around behind the handler, toward heel position. As the dog clears the handler’s path, the handler moves

forward before the dog has completely returned to the heel position. The dog does not sit before moving

forward in heel position with the handler. "

My understanding of this is that there is no "halt/sit" as for traditional obedience - the handler goes from walking forward to taking a couple of steps backward while calling the dog to the front - where the dog sits as per a "traditional" recall. The the dog returns to heel, via the right hand side of the handler (ie., behind the handler) EXCEPT the dog does not sit in the heel position - both dog and handler move forward together.

Help Anglesun

If not, how do you get the dog back to the left heel position?

Thanks

Wendy

OK...don't think of RIGHT as heeling on the right side..what this station means is the following:

You are heeling with the dog on your left as usual. Come to the sign, and halt (dog sits in heel position) In the novice stage, you can take a couple of steps backwards and call your dog to the 'front' position. Dog SITS in the front position. Finish right means, the dog must go AROUND you on YOUR right, back into heel position. If there is a halt, the dog sits in heel position on the left..if it is just a finish right/forward, the dog must NOT stop and sit, which means as soon as the dog comes around the back of your legs, step foward and heel to the next station.

Make sense?

(where the heck is the webcam when I need it and my trained dog!)

Help Anglesun

Wendy

OK...don't think of RIGHT as heeling on the right side..what this station means is the following:

You are heeling with the dog on your left as usual. Come to the sign, and halt (dog sits in heel position) In the novice stage, you can take a couple of steps backwards and call your dog to the 'front' position. Dog SITS in the front position. Finish right means, the dog must go AROUND you on YOUR right, back into heel position. If there is a halt, the dog sits in heel position on the left..if it is just a finish right/forward, the dog must NOT stop and sit, which means as soon as the dog comes around the back of your legs, step foward and heel to the next station.

Make sense?

(where the heck is the webcam when I need it and my trained dog!)

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Anglesun. Thanks also to Squeak and Kavik

Does that mean that "Finish Left" is where the dog either flips back to heel position or the hamdler guides the dog into heel position?

My group will be very pleased when I tell them on Thursday night

Wendy

Helen

I know, the 270 one gets me all the time as I can only cut the circle into 90, 180, 360. :eek:

What did you think of the rest of the course?

You will have to join us one Thurday night and run through the course with the other class members (don't tell Helen though will you)

Wendy

Sounds like fun, will organise it. :thumbsup:

Does that mean that "Finish Left" is where the dog either flips back to heel position or the hamdler guides the dog into heel position?

Yes, the finish left means "swing" where the dog does not go around the handler but spins to drop to the heel spot.

Remember..always watch to see if it's finish left/right then HALT or just forward....many have gotten nailed in marks for either missing the sit, or sitting when it's not called for.

Can I add any DOL names to the Geelong Rally-O Workshop?

Also what days are you thinking about attending

Helen

Staff n Toller

Shoemonster (how many more shores have you bought?)

The Spotted Devil

Wolfgirl

Jen

Any more?

Getting really excited now only a month to go. :thumbsup::lollipop::laugh::)

Might have the class try Rally Jacks tommorow night for the last night of BDAG's Block 1.

It does sound like fun.

Thanks to all who helped me with the Halt Call Front Finish Right.

Angelsun, people here getting antsy, want to know details and fill in attendance forms for Sutherland seminar on May 30/31.

As well as our own club members people are coming from Wollongong, Springwood, Gosford, North Shore and everyone is soooo keen. I would like to be able to give them some info so they can include it in their monthly club magazines.

Thanks,

Noels.