Butchers For Pet Stuff's

Melbomb

As the title suggest i am wondering if any of you other lovely DOLers have recommendations for butchers in or around Adelaide? I live down Marion way but am willing to travel if it means getting everything i want at the one place. I did a quick search and nothing came up. Unless i'm blind :rofl:

At the moment i get kangaroo from bucket-o-beef, minced chicken frames from Leonards and anything else from a butcher at Castle Plaza. I have decided that i don't want to go to this particular butcher any longer as the owner of the place doesn't know the meaning of customer service :p and i don't want to support him any longer. Plus it would just be easier if i could get everything all at once :p

So where do you all get your dog meat from. Any suggestions? :hug:

Edited by Melbomb

As the title suggest i am wondering if any of you other lovely DOLers have recommendations for butchers in or around Adelaide? I live down Marion way but am willing to travel if it means getting everything i want at the one place. I did a quick search and nothing came up. Unless i'm blind :laugh:

At the moment i get kangaroo from bucket-o-beef, minced chicken frames from Leonards and anything else from a butcher at Castle Plaza. I have decided that i don't want to go to this particular butcher any longer as the owner of the place doesn't know the meaning of customer service :laugh: and i don't want to support him any longer. Plus it would just be easier if i could get everything all at once :rofl:

So where do you all get your dog meat from. Any suggestions? :rofl:

I'm from up north but some places that I now of that are good are:

Central Market - in the arcade where there are a few butchers, can often get a good range at a good price.

Rainbow Meats - South Rd near the Brickworks market. I haven't been there for awhile but they used to be really good quality and cheap also an excellent range of meats. It is a Halal butcher, so no pork but I have got chicken. turkey, lamb, beef and goat from there before. And they used to be happy to cut things to size - eg would cut the beef necks down to size. Also they used to give us extra bags of off cuts and stuff. Sometimes they would be too fatty but often there would be another meal or 2 for 3 dogs in the free bag they gave us.

Rural Pet Meats - South Rd O Hallorhan Hill sp not that far from you. Heading south it is on the left hand side, just past the big pet shop - in the same block of shops. From there I have bought lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, kangaroo and venison. I got to Mt Compass for herding lessons and often stop in on the way back to get some good meaty bones from them

Hope that helps. Wish I had some of those options near my place. The best place I used to go to up here now sells puppies and kittens so I have't been back for ages.

Thank you Piper :laugh: that most certainly helps immensely. The Central Market is only a short walk from work and the other two places aren't too far away either. Rural Pet meats has piqued my interest so i am definitely going to check them out. :rofl:

I keep an eye open at the supermarket aswell ness and try and grab stuff when it's a good price. I mostly get my turkey necks from Foodland. :laugh:

I have to admit though i feel kind of funny walking into butcher's that i've never been to and asking what they have for dog's. Alot of them just give you a funny look and say "oh we've got pet mince". I want good stuff dammit, not pet mince :rofl:

I often go to central markets to pick up stuff as I am walking distance at work too :rofl:

There is a great shop on Port Road in Hindmarsh that does barf and raw food... beef, chicken, roo etc.

I often go to a butchers further down Port Road in the shopping centre at Welland... butcher there has cheap off cuts and chicken carcasses.

Woolies in town also do raw food with offcuts, hearts, chicken necks etc.

A friend interstate said if you can work out what days the supermarkets mark there prices down thats a great time to stock up. A friend gets duck frames from a store in the central market. They weren't such a hit with my 2 though and Ness will eat everything :rofl: .

As the title suggest i am wondering if any of you other lovely DOLers have recommendations for butchers in or around Adelaide? I live down Marion way but am willing to travel if it means getting everything i want at the one place. I did a quick search and nothing came up. Unless i'm blind :laugh:

At the moment i get kangaroo from bucket-o-beef, minced chicken frames from Leonards and anything else from a butcher at Castle Plaza. I have decided that i don't want to go to this particular butcher any longer as the owner of the place doesn't know the meaning of customer service :rofl: and i don't want to support him any longer. Plus it would just be easier if i could get everything all at once :(

So where do you all get your dog meat from. Any suggestions? :rofl:

Hi Melbomb,

Sounds like you live down my way. If you regularly go to Castle Plaza you might want to check out the butcher I go to.

Its called Fleurieu Fresh located at California Court Shopping Centre on Daws Rd.

I get my meat from them and buy bags of meat for my dogs from them cheap and fresh. :laugh:

Oh yes and on Saturdays they mark the prices down :p

Hi Aubrey,

Did you say Barf on Port Road at Hindmarsh? Can you give me some directions or a name or address? Is it a butchers or a pet food place? I go down that way for work every now and then so would like to check them out.

Thanks a lot

Westiemum :rofl:

I often go to central markets to pick up stuff as I am walking distance at work too :laugh:

There is a great shop on Port Road in Hindmarsh that does barf and raw food... beef, chicken, roo etc.

I often go to a butchers further down Port Road in the shopping centre at Welland... butcher there has cheap off cuts and chicken carcasses.

Woolies in town also do raw food with offcuts, hearts, chicken necks etc.

Hi Melbomb,

Sounds like you live down my way. If you regularly go to Castle Plaza you might want to check out the butcher I go to.

Its called Fleurieu Fresh located at California Court Shopping Centre on Daws Rd.

I get my meat from them and buy bags of meat for my dogs from them cheap and fresh. :laugh:

Oh yes and on Saturdays they mark the prices down ;)

Is the shopping centre in between South Road and Marion Road on Daws road Tosca? Next to a BP service station? I have a sneaky suspicion i walk past it when i take B for his morning walk but just have never really taken proper notice of what's in there. :o:) Another one i will definitely check out :eek:

Aubrey, i'd love to know the name of the place on Port Road aswell if you have it puhwease :)

I live in Melbourne I know so lol not much help but Melbomb Cali court is where you're thinking of I grew up the next street over from Cali court and my family still own the house. Cali court is the shops on the corner of Karong ave and Daws rd. It's a good butcher too by the way. I also know what you mean about the butcher in Castle plaza seems he hasn't changed at all. :laugh:

I end up just grabbing whatever I find on special at the local supermarket. I figure quite a lot of the time but the time I have driven to wherever the saving is negligible.

I think it depends on if you have storage to buy in bulk. If I did I would be more inclined to travel out of the way. I know someone that used to travel a fair distance to get her dogs meat and bones - she would buy up to $200 worth at a time for herself and another friend and then they would spend an afternoon bagging it up into meal sized bags for their number of dogs and freezing. A fair bit of work but significant savings.

I don't have the space to store so dont go out of my way to get it. THe places I mentioned are all no where near me but they are 1s that I will stop in at if I am in the area and get as much as I can store (only 1 to 2 weeks worth max, but hey it is a saving). I know my local Foodland marks down on Sunday afternoons or Mondays (depends on type of meat) so I will often stop in then, works especially well for getting offal. Other than that I buy mostly from my local butcher.

Hi Melbomb,

Oh yes and on Saturdays they mark the prices down :eek:

Is the shopping centre in between South Road and Marion Road on Daws road Tosca? Next to a BP service station? I have a sneaky suspicion i walk past it when i take B for his morning walk but just have never really taken proper notice of what's in there. :rofl: :p Another one i will definitely check out :cool:

That's the one.

What a small world :( I'll have to look out for you and B when I'm on a walk with my lot. :rofl:

Rural Pet Meats are a good one on Sth Rd, near Hilltop Pet & Aquarium Centre. When I haven't seen any supermarket specials for a while, and my stocks are getting low, then I go there to get meals. They have a 'fatty' and a 'lean' beef mince, which I like... Also love their roo bones and lamb necks.

Hey Melbomb!

I know its a bit of a drive but my brother is a butcher in Stirling & I know his shop is very dog friendly :) They make their own liver treats etc

Hey I can probably deliver it too :(

Melbomb & anyone else in Adelaide interested please Pm me & I will arrange a Dol discount :p My bro is a big dog lover as he has owned a Saluki & Bernese mountain dog ;) Cassie you will have to visit with Zephr :D

I totally agree with Leema, Rural pet meats are great too :)

Melbomb & anyone else in Adelaide interested please Pm me & I will arrange a Dol discount :D My bro is a big dog lover as he has owned a Saluki & Bernese mountain dog :) Cassie you will have to visit with Zephr :)

Ohh wow yes I will definitely have to!!! :( Always looking for good butchers etc, this has been a very helpful thread :p

Melbomb and tosca I use to go to Daws Road High School opposite the Repat Hospital on Daws Road.........it's a small world hey!!!!! My Mum still lives at Clapham just up the hill from their so I'm often in the area.......I luuuuuvs boxers -My Koby is 13 and still hanging in there just.....and tosca we had 2 jack russells who disappeared from our property - long story - but we never ever found them - still check every jr I see anywhere!!!!!!

I live in Melbourne I know so lol not much help but Melbomb Cali court is where you're thinking of I grew up the next street over from Cali court and my family still own the house. Cali court is the shops on the corner of Karong ave and Daws rd. It's a good butcher too by the way. I also know what you mean about the butcher in Castle plaza seems he hasn't changed at all. :D

Ha so i am not the only one who thinks he is a bit lacking :mad I guess he's not outright rude but i don't appreciate the no smile and getting grunted at :p

That's the one.

What a small world :) I'll have to look out for you and B when I'm on a walk with my lot. :rofl:

OMG i have seen you walking round the area Tosca. Last time i was in the car (with B) and I actually pointed you out to my partner excitedly screaming "look at that beautiful dane! Oooh and an Afghan" :laugh:

Well next time i see you i won't be afraid to come and ask for cuddles. From the dogs i mean :rofl:

Hey Melbomb!

I know its a bit of a drive but my brother is a butcher in Stirling & I know his shop is very dog friendly :rofl: They make their own liver treats etc

Hey I can probably deliver it too :(

Hi MSF ;)

I will definitely check your brothers butcher out. Any excuse to go to Stirling. :vomit: I love it there. :)

Once again thank you everyone for your input :rofl:

Edited by Melbomb