Photoshop And Other Post Photography Enhancements

Kirislin

I'm happy to put any of mine up too. My computer is a bit overworked today & keeps crashing every time I bring up image folders :D but I will find some tomorrow. Are you looking for radical stuff or just minor tweaks?

Edited by Vickie

Have you had a look at lightroom? I think this is a excellent program and a good place to sart with post photography. You will acheive heaps in this and you can download a free months trial. :confused:

I realised I'm nevr going to be a technical photographer but a post photographer. I can see images how I want them to look. I was out this morning and took a shot of Ralph in a purple bush. I knew how I wanted the image eventually, but I couldnt achieve this straight off the camera. I wanted the deep purple and him to blend in all moody. I like deep saturation but it's not for everyone.

Straight off the camera.

3121011301_6327542732_o.jpg

Photoshop

3121011307_dfe9060c9e_o.jpg

I dont really know much about post production yet, I've done some pretty bad background removing, and now Im kind of playing with lighting.

I dont even know which one I prefer. Im going to print one of them.

Straight off camera with border from Flikr

3120245556_ab13ac8f25.jpg

This one I have played with shadows/lighting and used the auto for that

3122071016_1f96beb52d.jpg

This one I think I like better, I changed the lighting myself..

3121249901_427306fae0.jpg

Edited by rugerfly

Ok...

I often use photoshop/lihghtroom/picasa to slightly adjust colour and/or lighting.

Occasionally I will edit an object within the photo, and remove or blur it (not often)

Sometimes I will make frames or do special effects ( I am not good at this :confused: )

I am a beginner !!

here are a couple.

Hamlet - a pic taken candidly, at noon... and very washed out. I used PS2 to darken and saturate colour a bit.. then used the 'render cloud' action on the background .. so I had a photo which was worth looking at :laugh:

Emu Feather.. straight off camera........ Hmmm... 'just'! I did a few things in picasa- a bit of saturation, and some playing with the collage feature.... just an experiment.

post-1359-1229748756_thumb.jpg post-1359-1229748783_thumb.jpg

post-1359-1229748809_thumb.jpg post-1359-1229748826_thumb.jpg

I'd love to learn a bit more about how people do the backgrounds. These are a couple of photos that I love and obviously photoshopped! Just wondering if anyone can give me pointers on what processing they have used so I could look up some tutes

http://www.equinephotographers.org/members...037&id=1556

http://www.equinephotographers.org/members...432&id=1992

http://www.equinephotographers.org/members...863&id=2066

http://www.equinephotographers.org/members...555&id=2134

My absolute faves are the first and last of the links I posted but here are more :thumbsup: Photoshop seems so overwhelming to learn :wave:

Winterpaw those backgrounds look simple to achieve but it would be honestly to hard to sit and go through each tool/pointer on the computer. This is were we need LukeW he prob has a photoshop screen grab ready to go. :rolleyes:

I must say I am not by any means a horse person (they scare me silly), but I like that last horse, what a stunner.

I have had an email from Luke, it doesn't look as though he will be back anytime soon.

The first one is using texture layers and colour adjustments. Textures can be LOTS of fun when you know how to do them right. Bad textures look like crap.

The second one is just a nice photo and an interesting crop

The third one is a composition. Horse has been cut from another image (a very good cutting job) then put over the top of a textured background and some burning in has been done to add a bit of drama.

The last one is the same as the third one.

Techinques: There are many ways to cut a subject out of a composition and not get hard edges allowing you to paste it somewhere else and work some magic. Luke has posted his cutting technique somewhere else but I can't remember where it is (sorry).

My cutting technique is different. I will use a mask layer and paint back the area I want to keep. I zoom into 300% and work from there so I can get all the fine detail along the edges.

This is a tutorial for another cutting technique - not as good as the one used on the horses but it gives you a good platform to start from. http://library.creativecow.net/articles/mu...l_selection.php

Textures: One of my greatest PS joys is working with textures. I LOVE it but I don't do it that often because there are very few people who like it. This is an image I worked on for Alex for last years AIPP awards (it JUST missed out on a silver)

3123360663_15ca619323_b.jpg

This is a practice image for me. I will be doing something sort of like this for next year's comp.

3030937757_0397f56af3_b.jpg

I do have some other way better images using textures from a recent shoot but I can't post them as I don't have permission from the client (:rolleyes: )

So textures... how do you use them (this will be the very basic version of what to do)

Well, the first thing you need is an image that you love - horses are good.

The second thing you need is an image of a texture. Textures can be anything. They can be a photo of a mouldy concrete wall, crinkled paper, pages from a book etc. You can even jump onto flickr or photobucket and search 'free textures' and there will be thousands for you to choose from. Heaps of people create textures and allow people to use them.

Now you open both images in photoshop, click on your desired texture and drag the texture image over the top of your original image

resize your texture image and drag the corners so it fits your original image

Now you can play around with the texture layer and do all sorts of magical stuff. In the layer palette, you can change the opacity of the layer if you like. Also change the mode. It should be in 'standard' mode but go through and change it to anything you want. Multiply, screen, hard light, linear dodge - all of them have different effects on the texture layer. Find the one you like.

From there you can brush back area of the layer to show through images of your original image underneath that you want to draw emphasis to.

Thats it really (in a very simple version) - just play and have fun. You can get lost playing with textures for hours! There are also some really good flickr groups for textures where you can go and see what other people do and post your own samples. :laugh:

Have fun!

This is 'kinda' the original, I can't find the real original but I am pretty sure only thing I have done to this one is edit the tyre out down the bottom, other than that is normal.

lions2.jpg

This is edited version, which I have done so much to I forgot, but mostly I used "midnight sepia' action on various opacities, burnt the background in and resharpened....I think there are a few layers in between, god I forgot, hehe.

lions1.jpg

Ash you are fantastic - thanks so much for that info. I will play around over xmas with Photoshop! I absolutely adore both of those photos you posted

Tess - that's one of my faves that shot :love:

I'll have a play and see if I can get a textured Kallie going :eek: