Advice / Opinions About Puppy Vaccination Schedule Please.

mplsv

Hi, hoping some people with more experience than me can help with this question.

I rang the vet to book our pups 2nd vaccination which we believed was due at 12 weeks of age only to be told their policy was to have a three week wait between vaccinations instead of six. That means pup will have vaccinations at 6, 9 and 12 weeks of age.

Is a three week wait normal? Is there any reason to think this practice may not be safe to pup?

Thanks,

:thumbsup:

after throwing cash hand over fist at the vets with a parvo puppy I dont see why the 16 week is unneccesary especially in breeds that are more susceptible.

the second vac is given in case the pup's immune system didn't mount a challenge to the first vac. could be due to immaturity of immunne system etc. So if protection isn't provided by the first vac. the second vac will do that. Used to be thought that maternal immunity could over-ride the first vaccine, but it is now realised that the pup's own immune system must provide anti bodies.

Consequently, the 2nd vac is only "insurance", and you don't really need 2 lots of "insurance". This is a very sketchy explanation, and you will find more information on this from Jean Dodds

So pup can be vaccinated with Nobivac at 10 weeks and that will be it until 12 months of age.

Does it matter which brand was used for her 6 week vaccination if we hope to use Nobivac at 10 weeks?

depends on what vacc is used & the breed in question plus the colour.

It is well known certain breeds & colours within those breeds are more predisposed to parvo.

I find this interesting. Can anyone explain further or point me towards more info please?

Sorry for all the questions. Although I find vaccinations for any species necessary I am very wary and suspicious of them also.

:)

Our breeder gave our puppy her first vaccination at 7 weeks old. We then got her vaccinated again at 12 weeks using nobivac. If you vaccinate with nobivac you don't need to give the 16 week vaccination.

It does not have to be nobivac if you are not going to give the 16 week one.

Well just on this what if you ahve to board your dogs? All kennels I ahve spoken to have said with pups must be fully vaccinated, whcih to them is 3 vacs with last 2 having KC cough. Interesting my vet and a couple of others I called have said with Nobivac a 2nd one is reccommended. I have had my pups 2nd vac last week with Nobivac and was told another due in 4weeks same with my older boys all had to ahve 3 when given nobivac? Also advised this too given parvo was and still is pretty rampant at the moment. Not looking at boarding the pup but if say over easter I go away pup must have had 3 vacs and thats with all kennels I spoke to (when asking about boarding my boys)

ETS Nobivac as in KC component

Edited by PooMother

after throwing cash hand over fist at the vets with a parvo puppy I dont see why the 16 week is unneccesary especially in breeds that are more susceptible.

the second vac is given in case the pup's immune system didn't mount a challenge to the first vac. could be due to immaturity of immunne system etc. So if protection isn't provided by the first vac. the second vac will do that. Used to be thought that maternal immunity could over-ride the first vaccine, but it is now realised that the pup's own immune system must provide anti bodies.

Consequently, the 2nd vac is only "insurance", and you don't really need 2 lots of "insurance". This is a very sketchy explanation, and you will find more information on this from Jean Dodds

It is all very confusing to be honest as reading Jean Dodds vaccination schedule she doesnt say you dont need the 3rd but it is optional

It is all very confusing to be honest as reading Jean Dodds vaccination schedule she doesnt say you dont need the 3rd but it is optional

If I recall reading this correctly, a small(ish) percentage of dogs will still have enough maternal antibodies at 12 weeks that will interfere with the 12 week shot....hence the need for a 16 week.

I ahve to be honest i would rather not vac my dogs all those chemicals BUT given how much parvo has been about my boys will get boosters and the pup will get a 3rd vacc I couldnt stand it if she happened to get it and I know vac your dog doesnt mean 100% they will not get it but I dont want to take that risk. I guess at the end of the day you ahve to read and make up your own mind and what you feel comfortable with. I have vet friends who say 3 vaccs and its got nothing to do with money and then other vets say 2 vaccs.

Guest belgian.blue
6 and 12 weeks is plenty. Third injection is not necessary IMO.

It may not be but most obedience schools won't accept your pup unless it is upto date with the vaccs.

I was told there had to be a minimum of four weeks between vaccs. My vet refused to do it any earlier and I was told to come back in a week. Only went early cause I didn't look at the date on Ivys vacc card. Just went on her age .. 16 weeks.

6 and 12 weeks is plenty. Third injection is not necessary IMO.

It may not be but most obedience schools won't accept your pup unless it is upto date with the vaccs.

I was told there had to be a minimum of four weeks between vaccs. My vet refused to do it any earlier and I was told to come back in a week. Only went early cause I didn't look at the date on Ivys vacc card. Just went on her age .. 16 weeks.

Depends on how up to date the obedience schools are with vaccination protocols.

An obedience school here was ok with Angs in a class and he had not had his annual booster because he had good reason not to have had it.

Ok, so to be on the safe side we still need to have three vaccinations at least 4 weeks apart with the vacc for kennel cough with the last two.

That means pup will be ok for all obedience classes and boarding kennels just in case we ever need one.

Thanks everyone ;)

On the same topic - my Cav pup is 13weeks old, she has had two shots, last one being at 12weeks. My breeder has advised against giving the 16week shot because she has had a pup who reacted badly (ended up dying) and is consequently very put off. On the other hand the vet is pro-vaccinating, either for the money or for the wellbeing of the dog. The 16week shot covers kennel cough and is given as a nasal spray. I dont intend on ever kennelling her, but i want to feel safe taking her to the beach, parks, etc. Im at a bit of a loss as to what i should do......