Puppy Sleeping Outside.

colliepaws

I was just wondering if anyone else has a puppy or dog who prefers sleeping outside to inside. My dogs have always slept inside and usually in my bedroom with me.

To fill you in on the rest of the story my rough collie puppy Luka is 13 weeks old. Ever since I brought him home he has pretty much ignored the many dog beds, cushions and blankets that are around the house and his favourite sleeping spot is in the laundry on the concrete floor.

I have an older collie who has her own bed in my bedroom and I set up a crate for the puppy in the bedroom as well.

When we first got him he would sleep in his crate in my bedroom and I'd get up in the night to let him out to toilet so he's never had an accident in his crate. After the first week or so he started sleeping through the night which was great! :D

Just in the last week or so though as it gets towards the time I usually go to bed he won't come to sleep in his crate. I know it's not because he doesn't like the crate because he never whines in his crate when I put him in there he just settles down and sleeps or chews on one of the chew toys he has in there. But when I call him to come to bed he comes into the bedroom and will sit there for a minute looking at his crate before trotting out again to settle down in the laundry or outside. :rofl:

I have a baby gate across the laundry doorway to keep him from getting into trouble in the rest of the house and he has access from the laundry to the backyard through the dog door and he really seems to prefer sleeping either in the laundry or out in the backyard than sleeping in his crate in my bedroom with me.

Oh, and outside I have two of those raised hammock dog beds and a big double mattress (that someone was throwing out at the last hard rubbish collection) just for my dogs :eek: . But Luka of course prefers sleeping on the concrete. :) Boy, do I feel like a sucker... :rofl:

Hi Fluffypaws! I don't really have an answer to your post but my 12 weeks old sheltie puppy likes to snuggle beside the washing machine on concrete floor as well. What I am guessing is its cooler on concrete floor and since its in the midst of hot summer at the moment, perhaps they just like it where its more cooling?

Nice pic of Luka there btw! And do join us in the Shelties and Collies thread under General Dog Discussion/Breed Sub-forum! ETA: if you haven't already joined, just in case I missed out your posts there since I'm fairly new as well :D

Edited by cherlee

Hi Fluffypaws! I don't really have an answer to your post but my 12 weeks old sheltie puppy likes to snuggle beside the washing machine on concrete floor as well. What I am guessing is its cooler on concrete floor and since its in the midst of hot summer at the moment, perhaps they just like it where its more cooling?

Nice pic of Luka there btw! And do join us in the Shelties and Collies thread under General Dog Discussion/Breed Sub-forum! ETA: if you haven't already joined, just in case I missed out your posts there since I'm fairly new as well :)

Hi cherlee!

Well at least Luka's not the only one who likes sleeping on concrete floors! :rofl: I did think that it might be because it's cooler there but I bought a box fan just for my dogs and cats (yep - they are all officially spoilt!) which I put on nearby but not pointing directly into the crate to provide some cool air for him but I guess he prefers the fresh air and cool concrete outside. :D

Oh, and I thought it was just a shelties thread in the breed subforum! But if it's for collies too I'll definitely join you guys. :rofl:

Not sure about the sleeping outside unless as said above it is cooler??

When it comes time to put him in his crate trying having a yummy treat for him that way he will want to hop in his crate.

All my dogs run into their crates as soon as they hear me getting their treats.

Makes life much easier :D

Raven - I just have to say that Digi is gorgeous! I love Newfys so much they are such a lovely and gorgeous breed...

stacyk - thanks for your reply. That's the thing though I've done the treat thing with Luka from the start and he really has no issues with being crated. He's quite happy to go into his crate if I can't watch him and need to put him somewhere for a couple of minutes - just not at bedtime! I have another crate in the living room and he will go and sleep in there during the day but it just seems like he'd rather not spend all night sleeping in the bedroom crate. :D

I think you're all probably right and it's just that it's cooler in the laundry and outside...I do put a damp towel in the crate for him to lie on if he wants to and with the fan as well I thought he would be cool enough. But it's probably just that nothing is as cool as the fresh night air.

It just seemed really odd to me because my dogs have always wanted to sleep inside over sleeping outside. I guess Luka's just special. :)

My Newfy Pup sleeps outside on our verandah.

I think it's the same reason as Cherlee stated,

it's cooler.

Sharon

When I got Holly - she had been bred and grew up in the outdoors (don't get me started on the conditions) - it took her a number of weeks to want to be inside and with me - she preferred sleeping in the dirt in the garden bed!

Benson sleeps outside in the summer and has done since he was a puppy. His choice, not ours. In the cooler months he sleeps in our room, either next to or under our bed. He also sleeps inside during summer if it's raining but on dry nights, as soon as I say "Bed!" he's waiting at the back door to be let out.

Occasionally I've been outside and seen him asleep, he lies on the back lawn like a little swagman.....quite obviously cooler and much more comfortable than he would be inside.

Dusty, on the other hand, is a bit of a princess and she much prefers the end of my bed, no matter how warm it is!

I was just wondering if anyone else has a puppy or dog who prefers sleeping outside to inside. My dogs have always slept inside and usually in my bedroom with me.

To fill you in on the rest of the story my rough collie puppy Luka is 13 weeks old. Ever since I brought him home he has pretty much ignored the many dog beds, cushions and blankets that are around the house and his favourite sleeping spot is in the laundry on the concrete floor.

I have an older collie who has her own bed in my bedroom and I set up a crate for the puppy in the bedroom as well.

When we first got him he would sleep in his crate in my bedroom and I'd get up in the night to let him out to toilet so he's never had an accident in his crate. After the first week or so he started sleeping through the night which was great! ;)

Just in the last week or so though as it gets towards the time I usually go to bed he won't come to sleep in his crate. I know it's not because he doesn't like the crate because he never whines in his crate when I put him in there he just settles down and sleeps or chews on one of the chew toys he has in there. But when I call him to come to bed he comes into the bedroom and will sit there for a minute looking at his crate before trotting out again to settle down in the laundry or outside. :laugh:

I have a baby gate across the laundry doorway to keep him from getting into trouble in the rest of the house and he has access from the laundry to the backyard through the dog door and he really seems to prefer sleeping either in the laundry or out in the backyard than sleeping in his crate in my bedroom with me.

Oh, and outside I have two of those raised hammock dog beds and a big double mattress (that someone was throwing out at the last hard rubbish collection) just for my dogs :love: . But Luka of course prefers sleeping on the concrete. :thumbsup: Boy, do I feel like a sucker... :wave:

My initial gut feeling, and going from experience is that Luka is too warm at night. He is wanting to somewhere cooler.

When I was growing up all our dogs were strictly outside dogs, they all had a kennel but none except the last one ever slept in the kennels, the rest just slept anywhere in the yard they felt like. Even in winter. They may or may not scoot into the kennel during storms but that was all.

Now I've got a little indoors puppy, she comes and goes as she likes - Lhasa cross. When we moved into this house a few months back it was starting to get warmer and she'd bolt in and out at bedtime and quite often sleep outside, either on the wooden deck or on a padded deck loungechair. Usually she'd come inside about 3am and continue sleeping on her bed. Now she often starts off in one of the hallways, still goes in and out, and still ends up on her bed during the cooler morning hours.

I'm guessing they do it to be a bit cooler. My puppy also gets huge energy bursts when there's a cool breeze blowing and tries to gallop on her walks - full of the joy of living!

I just looked down at her now, she's napping next to my chair in one of her favourite poses - flat on her back in that really inelegant doggy pose, back legs spread wide apart, with the breeze blowing over her abdomen - so that too makes me think it's a cool-ness thing.

My Samoyed will snuggle down next to me for a little while when we go to bed but then he will wander off and sleep in front of the door on the concrete.

Doorsnake.jpg

He was doing this from a tiny baby, he is now almost 10 months old and nothing has changed :rolleyes: