Cavalier Question

Staff&Cav

I have a 9 week old cavalier, and I have been giving her science diet but have also given her another top brand of food. My question is that no matter what type of Kibble i give her she will only eat the Dr Billinghursts BARF and leave everything else. I am thinking that why waist money on giving her the kibble to just waist WILL SHE BE FINE ON JUST DR BILLINGHURSTS BARF and meaty bones? Being only a baby puppy

Edited by Staff&Cav

Thanks I was thinking of just going raw with her because that is all she will eat anyway, but I just dont want to do her any harm ;) I figure that if i go with the Dr Billinghurst stuff then as long as i follow the amounts then surly I cant go wrong. Any more suggestions u can give me for the BARF diet? Is there anything extra I should give her other then the pattie?

Edited by Staff&Cav

hiya, we raised our cav on BARF and found we had no probs at all,

from memory I think we did the following rotation:

DAY 1:

Breakfast - barf patty

Lunch - small amunt scrambled egg and half a milk arrowroot biscuit

dinner - chicken neck

DAY 2:

Breakfast - barf patty (different flavour than day 1)

lunch - small amount raw free range chicken and small amount of puppy milk

Dinner - chicken neck

lunch got weaned off as he got older but we continue to feed two meals a day.

hope that helps at all ;)

I have had Cavs for 20 years and really prefer to feed the barf diet to the dogs, they are healthier, have less skin problems (they had this when they were fed dry food) and are generally much better on a barf diet. Don't forget they do benefit from eggs, sardines, fresh veges and absolutely adore chicken necks. I occasionally give them some VIP chicken loaf as we travel interstate for dog shows and it is easier for them to eat that while away, just not very often. Never feed canned food, usually ends up in runny poos!

Cavs, imho, do better on BARF. You haven't had her long if she is only 9 weeks. What was the breeder feeding her?

My experience is that a baby Cav does not have the jaw strength or persistence to eat kibble. If you must feed it, soak it in water first. Some kibbles are as tough as old boots, and even if the Cav likes it, actually chewing it at that age is too much for them.

I'd feed BARF anyhow, she'll do better on it, and obviously likes it.

When I have a litter, I do give them kibble, in case the new owner needs to leave them something for lunch if he/she is going out -- but they much prefer their raw food, eggs and milk. When they are older, they will often eat kibble.

post-438-1230726926_thumb.jpg

The breeder had her on the advance kibble that u soak in water. I have completly taken her off the kibble and just been feeding the BARF and her bowl is licked clean, so she is totally loving it :rofl:

On another thread here about home remadies it said don't feed raw egg because it contains bacteria, is this correct :(

Your cavs are lovely :D

Edited by Staff&Cav

The breeder had her on the advance kibble that u soak in water. I have completly taken her off the kibble and just been feeding the BARF and her bowl is licked clean, so she is totally loving it :rolleyes:

On another thread here about home remadies it said don't feed raw egg because it contains bacteria, is this correct :eek:

Your cavs are lovely :)

Hi :)

I am not sure about the egg thing, everyone has different views on them for their dogs.

I can't give eggs to one of my Cavs (Joey). They always make him throw up :(

Raw egg and shells which some swear by did not agree with Boo and I found sardines resulted in the most foul fishy farts but mackeral fillets, salmon, tuna or the odd fish oil tablet (just squeeze the contents over the barf) goes down a treat.

originally his breeder fed a rotation of VIP chicken roll, raw chicken or steak, scrambled eggs and the half a milk arrowroot biscuit so that is what he started off with before transitioning.