The Official January Photo A Day Challenge

Ashanali

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the comments guys, I love it too :cry: It was taken on the roof of The Fox in West End. We were having a great time, laughing, listening to a great band :laugh:

PPS I love the paddock shot - it has real warmth to it.

Ash - the landscape shot is good! Lots of cool texture.

While I have a minute. Someone asked how did I take the seagull photo.

Seagulls, pigeons and sometimes Ibis are the easiest to target because you will often find them easily and in large numbers. Head somewhere you know they proliferate and set yourself up with their favourite food.

In my case, I was sitting eating some fish and chips by the waterfront and they materialised out of nowhere. :cry:

Although I was shooting in the middle of the day, this was a very lucky shot as usually the light is way too hard to get anything decent. The best time of day to shoot birds is early morning or dusk (best time of day for any shooting actually).

Because you will be changing your angles unpredictably; the best approach is shooting in aperture priority. Set your f-stop to around 2 - 3. The photo I took was set at 2.5. With the bright midday light it gave a shutter speed of 1/5000th of a second - necessary to freeze action.

It also helps if you set your camera to the 'AI Servo' function. This means that the camera will keep refocussing on a moving object when the shutter button is half pressed.

Sit yourself down, have lots of food to give the birds, have your camera ready and snap away! I think I took about 200 photos just of seagulls to get that one. It's a hard task but it's also lots of fun. :laugh:

Thank you for that Ash, even though i don't know how to set my camera up manually

it is really refreshing to know that even a professional photographer will take 200 shots for just 1 good one.

some days i take 200 shots and come home very disappointed that i only get 10 good shots out of it.

some days i dont get any and have to go out again.

Thank you for that Ash, even though i don't know how to set my camera up manually

it is really refreshing to know that even a professional photographer will take 200 shots for just 1 good one.

some days i take 200 shots and come home very disappointed that i only get 10 good shots out of it.

some days i dont get any and have to go out again.

It depends on what I'm shooting. If I'm shooting a portrait, I'd be mega-peeved if it took 200 photos to get one good image. However I can't direct birds and tell them what to do, where to fly or which direction to turn their head. One shot on 200 is good enough for me! :cry:

Lea - just for you. Here are three outtakes.

I'm a little sad about the one with the bird in full flight as it looks great small but when it is viewed full size it is out of focus. I looked at it and went, "NOOOOOOOOO!". It sucks. :cry:

post-162-1232935992_thumb.jpg

post-162-1232936002_thumb.jpg

post-162-1232936009_thumb.jpg

I will have to catch up tomorrow, some beautiful and interesting shots that I've seen :cry: ... but my quick submission for today ...

I tried in the mirror Bindi-Boo style this afternoon ... got some very funny looks ... this one had the best focus though

3225210318_16a58b66f7.jpg

:)

:D I feel very honored :laugh: lovely capture!!!! and yes I can totally relate to the strange looks. :laugh:

Barb - I really love your first shot of Bronson for yesterday - it has alot of feel to it :laugh:

CM - Your dally photos are beautiful as always, a very different but nice take for your shot yesterday.

Ash - I love your 'landscape' shot, very effective!

Kirislin - As always your photos are just magical. The beads of water on the spiders web is just mesmerising, I love it :cry:

I went out to Wollombi Markets today, couldn't find anything worth shooting till our trip home. We stumbled across this beautiful olive and cheese shop and art gallery. Let me just say I had so many issues picking todays photo that I narrowed it down to three :laugh:

IMG_9706_1.jpg

A sheep made of acorn leaves and glass acorns - just divine!

IMG_9722copy.jpg

A close up of his adornments

IMG_9719copy.jpg