Obedience Titles

This year I really hope to get into serious obedience training with my little kelpie girl. The showing with the ridgy didnt work out :( so I thought Id try something with the more agreeable kelpie :noidea:

My local dog club is affiliated with the state association, so thats a good start!?

We have passed kindy class with a score of 85 about 18months ago but I havent done anything since.

What I am wondering is this. Where can I find the rules, tests etc., for starting out and competing in obedience, and does my dog need to be registered if I want to do it "officially"?

Im in WA, if that makes any difference!

Thanks in advance DOLers :o

Rat

All right let's see what I can come up with. Firstly the rules are here:

http://www.ankc.org.au/home/inner.asp?pageid=70&mainid=2

You have to be a member of your state canine association and the dog needs to be registered, either main, limit or associate. The form to register an associate dog in WA is here:

http://www.dogswest.com/Pdfs/Applications/...egistration.pdf

Starting with a club is a good start. Does that help you?

Good luck with it, obedience is great fun!

Labrat - On the 30th January (from memory) there is a show n go being held at the K9 grounds in Canning Vale. You may not be up to that standard yet - but you can have a look at what goes on in each class.

As long as you are a member of K9 - you can pay $2 and enter any of the rings and somebody will call a round for you. You can take food or toys into the ring as well.

As long as you are a member of K9 - you can pay $2 and enter any of the rings and somebody will call a round for you. You can take food or toys into the ring as well.

On this, I have been doing a bit of offlead heelwork with Ruby and we've done a few extra exercises past CCD as you know - does this mean I can try my hand in the Novice practice ring as well as CCD to satisfy my curiosity on some things? :o Not saying I will, cos if our last practice trial for CCD is anything to go by it's not a good idea to embarrass myself any further, but just thinking about it is all :)

Are you calling any rounds at the practice trial?

On this, I have been doing a bit of offlead heelwork with Ruby and we've done a few extra exercises past CCD as you know - does this mean I can try my hand in the Novice practice ring as well as CCD to satisfy my curiosity on some things? :cool: Not saying I will, cos if our last practice trial for CCD is anything to go by it's not a good idea to embarrass myself any further, but just thinking about it is all :hug:

Are you calling any rounds at the practice trial?

You pay $2 and can go into any ring you like. I would suggest that you do give Novice a go and perhaps at the next trial you might have done a bit more open work and might be able to give that a bash. Remember, you can take food/toy in and reward the dog at any time.

The rounds are supposed to be called by judges, but usually there are so many people waiting to have a go they ask me to help with CCD, so I will be there, and you may possibly get me (if you are unlucky!) :)

Have to say when I have called rounds in the past that most of the novice/CCD people are so nervous when they come into the ring that they usually forget all about their poor dog on the end of the lead and don't reward at all. Something to remember is that this is a chance to make it a fun and a pleasureable experience for the dog - so do take advanatge of being able to use food/toys., and remember to breathe!

OK you've talked me into it, I'll give Novice a go :) Sounds like a good way to give other classes a go before throwing yourself in a real situation! Unlucky, I dunno, if I see you doing a CCD round (or Novice) I'll come to you! :rofl:

I was one of those poor nervous souls who forgot to reward my dog in the practice ring (I guess I wanted to see how she'd go in a real trial scenario cos I treat her all the time in practice!) and the judge I had (can't remember who) basically told me we definitely are not ready :cry: But it was one of her off rounds, I know she does so much better - we were actually practicing outside the ring and she did beautifully - get in there and we bombed big time! All she wanted to do was sniff and eat the grass, but even since then we've gotten better with the grass grazing! I will try remember to praise and reward like I do in practice :rofl:

I just read the book Remembering To Breathe :cool:

The only thing I haven't been able to practice for Open is retrieving a dumbell over solid jump. I need to build me some jumps! Oh, and our SFE is pretty :hug:

Edited by RubyStar

:cool: Ptolomy - definitely not up to that standard yet I dont think!! Although she is quite obedient - and very quick to respond to commands, she still doesnt see the point on heeling...............prob'ly because she lives on five acres, and Ive not really ever taught her. I would love to get up to K9 on the "wheneverth", but I dont have any weekends off this month.

So I guess I should continue on with my weekly obedience club and training at home. I find it a bit difficult getting any info from anyone as its a very close knit club - a few people whove been there forever! I guess I'll just have to get over my woosiness and ASK! :hug:

So at what point do people usually start to compete for titles, and what comes first? Sorry bout the dumbass questions, but all those names mean nothing to me at the moment. When I got my K9 news yesterday I had another look at all the titles gained in the back - most of them now make sense, but what on earth is a Gambler and Snooker Dog?????? :cry:

I guess thats you in there with one of your dogs too, but havent they got the names round the wrong way?

Thanks for the help by the way, makes it a bit easier!

Rat :)

No worries Rubystar, the more people get advice the better. I just figured out what SFE meant and had a big giggle, my kelpie is so friendly she goes bananas when anyone comes close to her. Guess thats another thing to work on :) :cool:

Rat

I think the frist practice session I worked lexi - we had been having start post and heeling issues (which never happen in training) - anyway I get to the start post, remove my lead, the judge says are you ready and I reply and then she says forward and lexi left the post her tail wagging - so I said jackpot and pulled a container out of my pocket and rewarded her there and then. The look on her face was priceless. We then left the ring both of us very happy. :)

So don't be affraid to stop and reward. Also to jackpot for extra special efforts.

People often want to go through the whole round without rewarding to see how the dog will go - however - this is not a trial, you will not get trophies or sheep stations if your dog does it. You are better off keeping the dog guessing as to when you are going to reward - rather than waiting until the end when you leave the ring each time.

No worries Rubystar, the more people get advice the better. I just figured out what SFE meant and had a big giggle, my kelpie is so friendly she goes bananas when anyone comes close to her. Guess thats another thing to work on :) :cool:

Rat

Yep, my problem too. Overly friendly Labrador who thinks EVERYONE is their best friend! How can you possibly stand still when your new best friend wants to touch you all over? :hug:

start to compete for titles, and what comes first? Sorry bout the dumbass questions, but all those names mean nothing to me at the moment. When I got my K9 news yesterday I had another look at all the titles gained in the back - most of them now make sense, but what on earth is a Gambler and Snooker Dog?????? :cool:

I guess thats you in there with one of your dogs too, but havent they got the names round the wrong way?

Thanks for the help by the way, makes it a bit easier!

Rat :)

LOL Blaize didn't quite make the centrefold but she did get 2 photos in the latest K9 Mag. Scoota is towards the back with Brooklyn his travelling mate.

Snooker and Gambler titles are 2 of the agility games they now have. So you start off with novice snooker and then go to excellent snooker and then masters snooker - There are a few games trials coming up in March and April.

I wish I had focused more with Cruise over christmas, and perhaps we could have had a bit of fun...

I have got him sitting and watching :wave::cry:

Plus he is only 5.5 months... We start agility training in feb :) Baby puppy foundation class WOOHOO.

Im not really sure of how 'titles' work... Just know I wanna multi title cruise... Im even going to try him in Endurance too.. (if his breed is allowed that is)

Would have to be ACWA - agility dog club of Western Australia which train at the canine grounds :laugh: .

Yep here is a link to http://www.agilityclubwa.com/

Sorry I dont know how to do the linky thing

you can start at 12 weeks

I can't believe that web site has never come up when I've been searching for training clubs. I'll have to decide if I want to make the trek down to the CAWA grounds.

Would have to be ACWA - agility dog club of Western Australia which train at the canine grounds :laugh: .

Yep here is a link to http://www.agilityclubwa.com/

Sorry I dont know how to do the linky thing

you can start at 12 weeks

I can't believe that web site has never come up when I've been searching for training clubs. I'll have to decide if I want to make the trek down to the CAWA grounds.

Bye the way, is the fee for joining CAWA annual or a one-off?