Obedience Titles

Okay settrlvr - for those of us who dont know you..............which pooch was it? The Shnauzer or the black Lab??

Agility sounds like fun too, but I may just start with one discipline first, see how that goes then move on.....

What does Jumping involve?? Hmmm that just sounds like a dumb question, please dont tell me the answer is jumping :thumbsup:

Ptolomy - I see now that youre quite a regular in the K9 news :) :p

Rat

Agility sounds like fun too, but I may just start with one discipline first, see how that goes then move on.....

What does Jumping involve?? Hmmm that just sounds like a dumb question, please dont tell me the answer is jumping :)

Someone will correct me here I'm sure but I think jumping is agility without stuff like the A-Frame?

I've thought about pursuing other dog sports too but think I'll stick with obedience for a while and see how that pans out. We might totally suck at trialling! Though I did try agility for about 6 months when Ruby was 6 months old (no jumps or anything strenuous or high off the ground, basically jumps on the ground and tunnels), and I'm trying a beginner retrieving class in Feb - I don't have high hopes for that but it would be really great if Ruby does well and we can continue with some retrieving alongside obedience!

Here you go Masters Jumping

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=MnpIS-TpvWg

Compared with Masters Agility

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=C5SzDA0ZCRg

Don't laugh at the handling I was running with a sprained ankle but still Ness didn't do too badly finishing off her Masters Jumping title and passing in Masters Agility.

I'm in awe of you that you remember the course!

I look back and can't believe I was stupid or foolish enough to run her :rofl: . I had given her to a friend to run in the morning but that didn't work at all well and she only needed one more pass for her masters title so I sucked it in and ran her. Tell you by the end of the day I was in absolute agony but it was worth it :laugh: .

Labrat - On the 30th January (from memory) there is a show n go being held at the K9 grounds in Canning Vale. You may not be up to that standard yet - but you can have a look at what goes on in each class.

As long as you are a member of K9 - you can pay $2 and enter any of the rings and somebody will call a round for you. You can take food or toys into the ring as well.

Can I bring Cruise with me?? Or should I leave him at home

Opps just remembered that I have a dinner on this night, so wont be able to come :mad

There are a few trials coming up so will have to check them out

Edited by CruiseNRoxy

I think the practice trial is Saturday night, the 31st January. I think it was advertised in the Nov/Dec Canine News so if you've got that handy it should state date/time. I don't think it's in the latest Canine News except for a one liner stating the date.

You can bring your dog whether you're entering or not :thumbsup: I've gone to a few trials with Ruby just to watch.

I might come down for a look-see. Ollie is still too young and silly at this stage, but I'd like to know what goes on. We aren't members of K9 at the moment, would we still be able to come down to watch?

Yep, everything at the K9 grounds is free to the general public!

I'll probably be taking both dogs down with me so Millie gets used to the atmosphere as well.

I would love to get up and watch on the 31st, but at this time of year its toooooooooooooo hot and tooooo far!

But if any of you take a camera it would be lovely to see some piccys.

I just had a read through of what were up for in the obedience ring!! Im sure little Wandy is very capable of all that is required, dunno bout me though! I tend to fall apart, forget things under pressure. Like praising the poor dog, and being very articulate with signals and commands :) . I guess the only thing to do is practise, practise, practise!!!

I know we need to work on heeling, stand on command and sitting when we stop without being told to. I think I will go right back to basics with her initially to get the heel up to scratch. Shouldnt be too hard afterall, Ive taught two ridgies to heel ;)

For all you obedience champions, is using food rewards good or bad in the long run?? I dont really need them with Wandy, but Im not sure whether they are a good thing to start out with to really instil good habits or not. Sheesh i would go through a crap load with the ridgy :rofl::(

Rat

is using food rewards good or bad in the long run?? I dont really need them with Wandy, but Im not sure whether they are a good thing to start out with to really instil good habits or not. Sheesh i would go through a crap load with the ridgy :(:)

Rat

My kids get food rewards and truck loads of them at every training session we have. In fact I always have food in my pockets.

I believe the art is keeping them guessing when you are going to dish it out. :rofl:

Fair enough I will continue with using treats. They arent allowed in actual tests though are they?? And what about using the dogs name? Is that another no-no, in the ring I mean?

Rat

In the ring, you can use your dogs name and talk to it to get its attention before exercises start, but once heeling, the only things you're allowed to say are the commands heel, stand and drop/down. You can pat and praise only after the judge says exercise finished, so you can't do any of that during exercises unfortunately :rofl: Bugger I say! :thumbsup: And no, no food reward is allowed in the ring. Or toys. Only your hands for reward between exercises.

You can also say your dog's name in the recall to get it's attention, but there must be a distinct pause between using the dog's name and the come command.

That's all right isn't it, Ptolomy? :provoke:

Edited by RubyStar

Fair enough I will continue with using treats. They arent allowed in actual tests though are they?? And what about using the dogs name? Is that another no-no, in the ring I mean?

Rat

In the ring, you can use your dogs name and talk to it to get its attention before exercises start, but once heeling, the only things you're allowed to say are the commands heel, stand and drop/down. You can pat and praise only after the judge says exercise finished, so you can't do any of that during exercises unfortunately :laugh: Bugger I say! :thumbsup: And no, no food reward is allowed in the ring. Or toys. Only your hands for reward between exercises.

You can also say your dog's name in the recall to get it's attention, but there must be a distinct pause between using the dog's name and the come command.

That's all right isn't it, Ptolomy? :laugh:

You are spot on Rubystar - but in these practice trials you can use food and toys.

In trials, I make a point of playing with my kids between exercises - touch games, spins, pats, scratching the back, telling them I am going to get them - so it becomes a game.