To Titer Test Or Vaccinate

Loraine

It is time for my Zedley to have an annual C5 (I actually would go with C4). I have this morning enquired of the vet if they do titer testing. The receptionist is going to check with the people who do their blood testing (sorry having a brain dead moment). Does any Perth person know of a vet who does titer testing? I know that many kennels will not take a dog in without the vaccinations, but it is highly unlikely that Zedley will be in kennels. TIA

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loraine - Vetwest does titre testing but they are expensive ($118 for parvo and distemper).

I know Mundaring Vet also titre test ($90 for parvo + distemper) and I have also had titres done at Lark Hill 3 years ago and they were $64.

We run a boarding kennel and accept titres tests - and I know of a few others in Canning Vale/Southern River who also accept them.

Just to add a bit about kennels not accepting titers....

My vet has told me that if I ever need to kennel my two and they won't accept the titer results, I am to get the kennel to call her. Aparently kennels are supposed to accept titers, it's just that many don't know what they are or how it all works.

I'm in Brisbane and my vet sends the blood to Perth for testing, via QML Pathology. Griffin's test cost me $90.

Good Morning,

My two have been titred for the last two years, with good to above average results. They are now coming up for their annual check-up and testing. They are still getting kennel cough injections, so I will still be taking them to the vet.

How often are people re-testing. Should I be doing it yearly or less often?

Will a boarding kennel accept more than yearly titre test results?

Thanks.

Sorry to be dumb, but what is Titer testing?

You're not being dumb, Ausgirl.

Titre testing is where a blood test is taken and examines to determine/confirm that the dog has sufficient anti-bodies present for immunity against parvo, distemper and hepatitis. There is no titre test available for Canine Cough which is why many still vaccinate for that, although whether that is necessary and good or not is still a matter of opinion of the dog owner. I did not vaccinate my boy against Canine Cough.

There are numerous discussions and researched material available for you to read in relation to the effects/affects of vaccinations. One such link is HERE and another one HERE and HERE.

Will a boarding kennel accept more than yearly titre test results? ... How often are people re-testing. Should I be doing it yearly or less often?

Not sure what you mean by "more than", but if you are asking if a boarding kennel will accept the results of a titre test in lieu of vaccination evidence, I find that depends on the individual kennel. Kennels seems to be a bit slow on the up-take as far as accepting titre tests, although this might have something to do with their insurance requirements. It is a matter of ringing around.

I know some kennels would accept a letter from a dog's Vet informing them the animal could not (for whatever reason - allergy etc. ) have a vaccination administered, so I would not understand if that same kennel would not accept titre test results in place of vaccination evidence.

Bit by bit I think you'll find the acceptance by kennels of titre test results will become a more common practice.

ATM, many are titre testing annually. My boy is only young and is to receive his next (and, for all intentions, last) C3 when he is 15 months old. I will have him titre tested within 2 weeks after that. I'm not yet sure if I will follow through with annual titre tests, or 3 yearly titre tests, or any titre tests beyond that. Much depends on the advancement of research results available at the time. I think I would also give consideration as to the area I am in and whether it is greatly affected (at any given time) by any of the diseases for which he has been vaccinated.

Edited by Erny

Hi Erny,

Was wondering about the protocol with kennels accepting titre tests. If a boarding kennel will accept titre testing in lieu of vaccination, must you have the test within 12 months of boarding or, as you are contemplating, is it acceptable to have a current test say every three years.

Has the boarding kennel authority (whatever it is called) looked at a standard or is the procedure still new and they haven't published a code of conduct for their members yet?

The more people start using titre tests, the more these questions will arise. Hopefully somebody is looking to give dog owners and boarding kennel operators some guidance!

Cheers

Hi Erny,

Was wondering about the protocol with kennels accepting titre tests. If a boarding kennel will accept titre testing in lieu of vaccination, must you have the test within 12 months of boarding or, as you are contemplating, is it acceptable to have a current test say every three years.

Has the boarding kennel authority (whatever it is called) looked at a standard or is the procedure still new and they haven't published a code of conduct for their members yet?

I don't know the answers to your questions I'm afraid, Daxilly. As I mentioned beforehand, at this stage of the game it seems that what any kennel will or won't accept is a very individualistic matter.

The more people start using titre tests, the more these questions will arise.

And the more each of these occur, I think the more answers will be available.

Hopefully somebody is looking to give dog owners and boarding kennel operators some guidance!

Boarding Kennel Operators hopefully will take it into their own hands to start asking questions of the authorities to which they are 'bound'. I think it will become a natural turn of events, as one kennel accepting titre's in lieu of vaccinations will be seen to be at an advantage over one that does not. The more kennels who wish to change, the more enquiries/requests they'll make to their governing bodies. Somewhat "reactive" instead of "pro-active" approach but in the absence of anything else, I believe the situation will change over time.

Sorry to hijack the thread but my boy is due for his vacc's and when I asked my vet about titre testing he said he can do it but the cost will be $200.00 and I think this is a bit over the top so if anyone knows where in Vic (I am in Hoppers Crossing) I can get it done at a more reasonable price I would love the info :p

ETA That price was only for Parvo and Hepatitis not Distemper :)

Edited by wolfgirl

I think the 'norm' is between $90 - $150. But I'm afraid I can't help you with Vet names and prices in your area. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise?

Saving at least $50 might be worth the effort of a small drive out of your area, if it comes to that, and I think that if Vets understand they'll lose clients rather than gain $$$ if they charge too much, they might begin to reconsider their charging index. They might even consider that their clients are more likely to have a titre test done on a more frequent/regular schedule if the price is reasonable. Of course, the Vets will have the outlay of the laboratory costs, so that needs to be kept in mind too, I guess.

Hopefully another DOLer will be able to help you with Vet names and prices in or around your locality, Wolfgirl.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny I don't mind paying for my dogs but after reading this thread and recalling some prices in another thread from a while ago I realised he seems to be a bit overpriced. Will call some local vets tomorrow. He didn't seem keen on doing the testing and prefers to vaccinate but I honestly feel we are over vaccinating our animals and damaging their immune system so would rather test than vaccinate at this stage. Our club is also now going to start looking at accepting the testing as their are a few of us wanting to go down this path so when we start back hopefully they will have voted with a positive outcome.

My doggies are always up for a road trip :) we love having day trips and going places so may look at doing this and getting the tests done where they seem a bit more reasonable.

People should also make themselves aware of the wording in the animal act for boarding establishments.

Whilst many say kennels should we are bound by govt law regs to run these establishments which havea COE that we must follow.

People should also make themselves aware of the wording in the animal act for boarding establishments.

Whilst many say kennels should we are bound by govt law regs to run these establishments which havea COE that we must follow.

True, Settrlvr. But are the kennels approaching the kennel authority to review and perhaps amend the CoE to keep up with the latest?