Raw Feeders

Why eat rodants when you have beef, chicken, lamb etc.

It's kinda gross?

If you want to feed rodent, feed bunny!! My dogs love it. :birthday:

Rabbits are not rodents!

Agree, rabbits are certainly not rodents!

Close your ears to this LucyCharzie and other rabbit lovers. I often feed wild rabbit to my dogs, sourced from a local organic butcher and sold for human consumption. Costs a fortune, it's totally ridiculous to spend that much - but they love them and it seems a very species (and breed) appropriate diet to me, with the added benefit of making use of a feral species who hopefully led a very natural life until an, equally hopefully, quick end. I avoid the farmed bunnies, plenty of farm raised meat to get instead, not so much wild raised.

I wouldn't feed rats or mice to mine, not something I'd be comfortable with as a food source.

I often feed wild rabbit to my dogs, sourced from a local organic butcher and sold for human consumption. Costs a fortune, it's totally ridiculous to spend that much - but they love them and it seems a very species (and breed) appropriate diet to me, with the added benefit of making use of a feral species who hopefully led a very natural life until an, equally hopefully, quick end. I avoid the farmed bunnies, plenty of farm raised meat to get instead, not so much wild raised.

But wouldn't your 'local organic butcher' be farming these rabbits in the same way that others would farm rabbits? Elsewise, how can they know what the rabbits are raised on? I'm not seeing the difference between the two (ie farming/not farming) in your instance. :birthday:

Edited by Erny

I often feed wild rabbit to my dogs, sourced from a local organic butcher and sold for human consumption. Costs a fortune, it's totally ridiculous to spend that much - but they love them and it seems a very species (and breed) appropriate diet to me, with the added benefit of making use of a feral species who hopefully led a very natural life until an, equally hopefully, quick end. I avoid the farmed bunnies, plenty of farm raised meat to get instead, not so much wild raised.

But wouldn't your 'local organic butcher' be farming these rabbits in the same way that others would farm rabbits? Elsewise, how can they know what the rabbits are raised on? I'm not seeing the difference between the two (ie farming/not farming) in your instance. :birthday:

They are wild rabbits. Lived wild. Hunted, not farmed.

Presumably they know what they ate because of the properties they came off.

The organic is much less important to me than the wild, and cleared for human consumption, aspects. It's just that it's the organic butchers, 2 I know of in Canberra, that seem to carry them. Carcasses look quite different to farmed rabbits.

Edited to add - if I knew any hunters capable of recognising diseased rabbits I'd happily get them from them - but my social circle is outstandingly deficient in hunters of any sort.

Edited by Diva

It's kinda gross?

Rabbits are not rodents!

Sorry but I under no circumstances support rabbits being eaten. I am a registered breeder and exhibitor. Every rabbit show i am at we get at least one person come in saying they're only good for eating. It makes me so mad they are domesticated animals bred for temperament, pets and show purposes. Breeders don't do years of work on their lines for people to come along and eat them. :birthday:

In my research and through talking with other breeders we have found even if vaccinated against Calicivirus, it still doesnt cover all strains. Myxomatosis still doesn't have a vaccine in Australia against the disease. If people choose to feed rabbit to their dogs for whatever reason, I would be very careful with where you source it.

With all due respect, rabbits have been bred for the table for a very long time.

Rabbit from the local rabbit breeder was a regular on our table when I was growing up, and today it still continues.

You may show them, but for generations they have also been bred to eat, maybe not some of the little dwarf breeds, and those bred for fancy coats, but big fat meat rabbits. My uncle bred NZ whites for the table.

Unless you know a shooter, it may be difficult to get wild bunny. Pity that the days of the rabbito selling bunnies round the neighbourhood are gone.

I know a shooter and I'm sure he knows shooters, who, if I asked, would supply me the bunnies they manage to get. But I'm not keen on the idea that these bunnies might have picked up mixo or the more current virus (what's its name?) that has been used to eradicate them.

Wow! $16 is pricey!! If I find a supplier, this might have to be for special occasions only :birthday:.

Hey, I'd happily pay $16 for a bunny for my girl. I priced them at Christmas as her Christmas treat and the cheapest was $43! I guess that's what happens when you live where there isn't a bunny problem.

It's kinda gross?

Rabbits are not rodents!

Sorry but I under no circumstances support rabbits being eaten. I am a registered breeder and exhibitor. Every rabbit show i am at we get at least one person come in saying they're only good for eating. It makes me so mad they are domesticated animals bred for temperament, pets and show purposes. Breeders don't do years of work on their lines for people to come along and eat them. :birthday:

In my research and through talking with other breeders we have found even if vaccinated against Calicivirus, it still doesnt cover all strains. Myxomatosis still doesn't have a vaccine in Australia against the disease. If people choose to feed rabbit to their dogs for whatever reason, I would be very careful with where you source it.

With all due respect, rabbits have been bred for the table for a very long time.

Rabbit from the local rabbit breeder was a regular on our table when I was growing up, and today it still continues.

You may show them, but for generations they have also been bred to eat, maybe not some of the little dwarf breeds, and those bred for fancy coats, but big fat meat rabbits. My uncle bred NZ whites for the table.

Don't get me wrong but every breed of rabbit are show rabbits, yeah i know NZW rabbits are for some people bred for the table but they are also show rabbits and are pets for children and adults. All breeds of rabbits now days are bred for their temperaments and the show table with some people purchasing to eat them (large breeds only).

I know people who have been showing and breeding for 40 and 60 years plus so for generations they've also been show rabbits.

I'm sure there is another thread on this topic :birthday:

You would have to feed LOTS of rats and mice to fill a dog! Especially mice - they are tiny!

Not worth it, much better off feeding other types of meat (besides the whole issue of the illegality of live feeding)

It's kinda gross?

Rabbits are not rodents!

Don't get me wrong but every breed of rabbit are show rabbits, yeah i know NZW rabbits are for some people bred for the table but they are also show rabbits and are pets for children and adults. All breeds of rabbits now days are bred for their temperaments and the show table with some people purchasing to eat them (large breeds only).

I know people who have been showing and breeding for 40 and 60 years plus so for generations they've also been show rabbits.

NSW supplies about 120,000 rabbits every year that are bred specifically for the table.

I source rabbits from an animal feed store in Bungendore, they are priced at $6.50 each, are skinned & gutted but still have their "slippers" on. Wild rabbit is a much darker meat than farmed rabbit.

I have read that Calici virus has had little impact on rabbit numbers due to there being a strain of the disease already present in Australian rabbits to which most have immunity. What is more frightening is that you can buy a mixo rabbit from the Pastures Protection Board for $15. I wouldn't wish death from mixo on any animal, it is horrific!

Sorry but I under no circumstances support rabbits being eaten.

rabbits are a game animal and a prey animal. Just because people have them in a society and show them wont detract from the fact they have another purpose - to be eaten. You have to realise we are TOO lucky in this country - that we can keep multitudes of animals for no purpose other then to exist for our own pleasure. I know a show breeder of ducks/geese who sold be some hatchlings - I said they were for the table and she shrugged and said 'what else would you have that many ducks for, just look after them right and give them a good life'.

My OH was a commercial rabbit hunter they could do anywhere from 500-1000 in a day with ferrets, dogs and guns. Guess what - KFC also purchased their meat.

Any rabbit that showed disease was humanely killed and turfed. Any rabbit that had its guts split in the cleaning process was also discarded. There is NO reason why rabbit should be so expensive (except the 'swanky' fashion slow food la di da rubbish thats happening lately) considering how little hunters get for them.

Nothing wrong with eating rabbit, it should be replacing chicken with how common and accessible it is. Ferreting is also a day out with the family :) I'd eat a wild rabbit over a barn raised chemical laden super chook any day.

Edited by Nekhbet

How do you tell if a rabbit is diseased? I mean, I have seen the advanced stages of mixo, but how would I know if it has contracted something like that but clinical symptoms haven't begun to show? Same with the Calicivirus?

I think it is a good way of making use of an animal that is otherwise a pest and shouldn't have been brought to our Country in the first place, with all the damage they cause to farmers' land. But I am mainly concerned about the disease aspect and this would prevent me from feeding it.

That, and that my Dad only occasionally rabbit hunts now, given that he is 84 years old and doesn't tend to climb the mountainous rural areas as high up as he used to.

Calici and Myxo are diseases that shouldn't affect dogs anyway. I mean heavens, my HARE can't get sick from it. I had a rabbit that died of myxo in the cage right next to him and he never got sick. He didn't eat her, but all the same. I'm sure foxes eat diseased rabbits all the time. And eagles, for that matter.

Calici is a very fast-killing disease. I know the disease is rampant in the Lake Macquarie area with many strains around, but I've never seen a rabbit sick with it. They die fast. I know someone who lost a pet rabbit to it who was vaccinated, but vaccinated to the wrong strain. I believe it died before they could get it to the vet. They go downhill so fast. Myxo, on the other hand, is slow and painful. The early symptoms are like a cold. Puffed up face, runny eyes and nose. They often get cloudy eyes and can't see very well. I saw one once that looked fine except that its eyes were just beginning to cloud over.

Incidentally, Calici has been VERY effective, especially in arid regions. It tends to only take off when there is a high population density, though, so is a bit self-regulating in that way. It will die out in a population once it has brought it down to a lower density. Myxo is similar.

I have entertained the notion of getting ferrets and going rabbiting myself, but have been firmly told that I'm mad. I love my pet bunnies and secretly want a 10kg Flemish Giant, but the ecologist in me can't abide by feral rabbits. I love my country more than I love bunnies. Much more.

Also, I used to be in the cattle club at school and we would get a steer each year to raise and train for the ring. We would spend hours with him every week, give him a name, bathe him, feed him, teach him not to fear humans, and then he'd trundle off to the abattior and we would wave goodbye, have a little sniffle, and console ourselves that we'd given him a good life and he wouldn't be afraid. There's a lot to be said for being so close to the process. You really appreciate your meals and the sacrifice that went into it.

I would be more worried about internal parasites in rabbits than disease, though.

Erny you can also tell from the condition of the internal organs. Myxo bunnies are not healthy looking as Corvus said, they also tend to be quiet and unhappy rabbits or they exhibit flu like symptoms.

Since Calici causes the rabbit to die from internal hemorrhaging you would quickly notice while cleaning that it is not well. Sick rabbits also tend to not flounce about the countryside but tuck themselves deep in burrows where only a ferret might pull them out.

There is little to no risk but from other biochemical changes in the sick animals body I would not feed a diseased rabbit to a dog.

If you worm your dogs and do not spill the gut contents of the rabbit, have a check of the overall condition etc there is little to worry about with parasites.

I feed wild rabbits to my dogs and ferrets, with or without fur. The dogs eat the entire rabbit, but the ferrets usually leave most of the furry skin. I usually freeze the freshly caught ones for 3 or 4 weeks to kill any parasites.

The ferrets also get shop bought frozen mice and rats on the rare occasion I can afford them.

post-6062-1231812836_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1231813075_thumb.jpg

Zero has had rabbit a few times and really liked it. My step father'scompany owns a massive property that they use for testing new products (nothing chemical or anything like that) and because the property is rather secluded, they have a big population of rabbits which one of the guys at his work likes to go out and shoot every few months.

I wouldn't buy rabbit but because i can get it when Sakesh goes out there shooting (he uses a lot in his own cooking) and Zero's on a diet, but because it's free and Sakesh doesn't mind bringing us back a couple that he has skinned it's a nice change for Zero.

We've never had a rabbit shot that wasn't healthy - if it wasn't, we wouldn't use it.

I source rabbits from an animal feed store in Bungendore, they are priced at $6.50 each, are skinned & gutted but still have their "slippers" on. Wild rabbit is a much darker meat than farmed rabbit.

For that price difference it will be worth a drive to Bungendore to fill the freezer!

For that price difference it will be worth a drive to Bungendore to fill the freezer!

I agree!!