Grooming

Avenir

Hi All you experienced groomers,

I am hoping to pick your brains about learning to groom.

I've been reading and looking at all the different courses available on learning to groom. I work full time and I am hoping to do it after hours and weekends and eventually do it more from home if I am home with children whilst on maternity leave.

Knowing what you know now and seeing others learning, can you recommend the best courses etc or alternate ways you may be able to suggest on how I would be able to learn to groom effectively?

Do you have to have a certain qualification or license in order to be able to do a bit of grooming etc.

Any information that you experienced groomers could offer me I would consider an absolute bonus, I am Brisbane based.

Kind Regards

abea2484

I grew up learning from the show world.

I groom full time but is isnt an easy job.Its very hard work,time consuming & not for those that think its playing iwth the dogs & having fun

You end up with lot of wear n tear on your body.

I guess it comes down to how serious you want to be ..

Not sure what you mean by after hours but given how long it can take to groom one dog you would want to consider what "after hours" means.

I would suggest doing your homework on what tools you will need,insurance,business name & plan for drumming up business etc etc & decide whether the initial expense is what you thought & are prepared to spend .

Check with your local council on any conditions with home business.

Whether your going to groom inside.outside,what room how easy to adapt it to a salon set up etc etc

One of the big things to learn up front is what the individual Breeds are actually meant to look like, what sort of coats they have, and what tools of trade you need to get them that way.

Poodle owners wont be happy if you scalp Fifi, Schnauzer owners will probably take a contract out on you if you stuff up the beard and eyebrows.

IMO too many people set up as groomers and simply turn every dog they get into a generic clipped off mutt.

YES, some owners want that, but most appreciate their dog coming home looking something like it is meant to.

Personally I believe that learning under an experienced groomer is the best way to go about it.

Definitely get experience with a reputable salon first. No point going in to it inexperienced IMO as people don't give you a second chance for a bad cut.

Good luck! :rofl:

Agree, I learnt one on one with a salon owner :(

One of the big things to learn up front is what the individual Breeds are actually meant to look like, what sort of coats they have, and what tools of trade you need to get them that way.

Poodle owners wont be happy if you scalp Fifi, Schnauzer owners will probably take a contract out on you if you stuff up the beard and eyebrows.

I'm inclined occasionally to take a contract out on a schnauzer owner for stuffing up the beard or eyebrows! :rofl:

IMO too many people set up as groomers and simply turn every dog they get into a generic clipped off mutt.

YES, some owners want that, but most appreciate their dog coming home looking something like it is meant to.

Personally I believe that learning under an experienced groomer is the best way to go about it.

Ideally, go and do some work experience at a salon (offer to bath on a saturday) and see for yourself the downsides to the job..... back breaking work, dogs who are difficult to work with, the mess from hair - is that something you would want in your house???

You then should learn from someone who knows how to groom and go along to shows to see what the show dogs of that breed look like, so you can appreciate how the breed should look and what to aim for with a pet trim version

I'm inclined occasionally to take a contract out on a schnauzer owner for stuffing up the beard or eyebrows! laugh.gif

:thumbsup: The jobs being done lately & what some are charging is criminal.Some of our poor puppy owners phone us in tears because of what some of the groomers have done who profess they now how to groom schnauzers

As others have advised go and do some work with a proffesional groomer. I do the occasional dog from home and the only time I didn't was while I was very pregnant and on maternity leave. Things to keep in mind are hair all over your house (even in rooms you aren't grooming), dogs being left in your care for a longer period than you expected, dogs in your house with bad manners.

Do you have dogs of your own? If you do make sure they aren't being put at risk with other dogs coming into your house.

I would recommend you wait until you are over having your baby, it is a very heavy job (even doing small dogs) and it requires a lot of patience (something that can be hard when looking after a newborn).

If you decide to go ahead good luck.