Jumped Into The Deep End

redangel

Hey there all. Yesterday found me with a bright happy day and no work. So I did what I like to do....go out and play with my camera. As a thorough newbie, totally uneducated I decided to take my toy off auto and have a play. Took the toy down to the wetlands nearby and shot some pics...thanks to some herons, pelicans, ducks and a whole bunch of noisy coot wanting bread, not their photo taken. Looking over the pics I was happy with them overall although a few shots were dark (not sure why) even though I didnt to my memory change settings between those shots. I have applied active d lighting and now they look as I saw them through the viewfinder at the time. Used shutter priority setting, auto iso. Any ideas? Are there set rules when using the s or a priority I should be aware of? So saving to do a course....

I am not qualified to give advice but there are plenty of people here who know their way around a camera who can. They'd probably need to see your photos though.

I figured I might have to post pics, but due to my computer savvy downloading child not being at school Im paying per mb at the mo!

Camera lighting 'metering' or sensors if you like are very sensitive and even if you turn in another direction 90 degrees or less the lighting will change. Depending on where your subject is or what light is in its background. Can you tell us what settings they were? Auto ISO sucks IMO and could be the reason your camera was changing the lighting. Have a look at the exif data on a good one and a dark one, can you tell us what they were if you cant load the pics?

Read the manual, it may give you some clues. If you don't have the manual see if

you can google info online. Type in the camera and model number plus the word

manual or user guide. Or actually type in part of the question you are asking -

you never know what google might bring up in the way of different references

to your camera, questions and answers, helpful hints etc.

What was the light on the day like?

Camera lighting 'metering' or sensors if you like are very sensitive and even if you turn in another direction 90 degrees or less the lighting will change. Depending on where your subject is or what light is in its background. Can you tell us what settings they were? Auto ISO sucks IMO and could be the reason your camera was changing the lighting. Have a look at the exif data on a good one and a dark one, can you tell us what they were if you cant load the pics?

Looking at the data on the pics the only variance was the f5.3 as opposed to f4.5. The background was the same . The latter shot was preferable. Is there a preferable manual setting commonly used to start from? I am a total newbie, but I am still in love with my d90. Iso was set at 200..it was a very bright sunny day :3monkeys:

what colour was the subject in the dark photo. Its great that you are using manual. Keep fiddling around and reading your data.

one pic was of a white pelican, the other was of teal ducks (predominately grey background) So sorry I cant load pics for you to see.

Can you get the aperture (f number) and shutter speed from the different photos? (since they should all be iso 200)

Some cameras metering can be confused if there is a particularly bright light source in the frame or just out of it, causing the camera to over or under-expose. You can play with the different metering options to see which one works best in different situations.

Having it on shutter priority is good as this means you can adjust the shutter speed for the crisp shots at high speeds.

However, if you don't have enough light at the higher speed, it won't get to the sensor, so it will be a lighter shot.

It depends on the camera, but most would say LO or LOW or something along those lines if it cannot adjust the apeture to meet the shutter speed.

Also, when you are taking in shutter priority, if it has to go to 4.5 or 5.3 to let the most light in, depending on your distance, the Depth Of Field (how much is in focus) isn't going to be enough.

I would go with a shutter priority when shooting birds, and see how sharp images are as the birds are in flight, and lower the shutter speed. The more time on the sensor, the more chance it will adjust the apeture to get the right meter reading.

If it is just slower moving stuff, then you can drop the shutter speed right down, or go to apeture priority and set a higher F11 to F16 to get good depth of field, and with good light, you'll get a good shutter speed and a bright, sharp picture.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Having it on shutter priority is good as this means you can adjust the shutter speed for the crisp shots at high speeds.

However, if you don't have enough light at the higher speed, it won't get to the sensor, so it will be a lighter shot.

It depends on the camera, but most would say LO or LOW or something along those lines if it cannot adjust the apeture to meet the shutter speed.

Also, when you are taking in shutter priority, if it has to go to 4.5 or 5.3 to let the most light in, depending on your distance, the Depth Of Field (how much is in focus) isn't going to be enough.

I would go with a shutter priority when shooting birds, and see how sharp images are as the birds are in flight, and lower the shutter speed. The more time on the sensor, the more chance it will adjust the apeture to get the right meter reading.

If it is just slower moving stuff, then you can drop the shutter speed right down, or go to apeture priority and set a higher F11 to F16 to get good depth of field, and with good light, you'll get a good shutter speed and a bright, sharp picture.

Hope this helps

Andrew

That was most informative Andrew. I believe that may have been the problem. Ill look at the shutter speed adjustments. Thanks. I now fully understand what low describes.......camera is so much smarter than the operator :thumbsup: embarrassing but Im determined to learn.