Why Is Cat Poo So Tasty?

Bells73

My 14 week old puppy has taken a liking to cat poo - straight from the litter box. If I'm not quick enough to get rid of it, he hops in and grabs a snack :rofl:

Sure has turned us off kisses for a while. The cat box is enclosed to, so he just goes right on in, and gets it.

Please tell me he will get over this craving.

Sorry - he very likely won't get over it :rofl: Cat food tends to be much higher in protein.....probably why the poo tastes so good....to the pup I mean :o

Best thing to do IMO is prevent puppy having access to the litter tray - put the litter tray up high or put a baby gate on the laundry door or use a couple of dining chairs so the cat can get through but the dog can't. When Zig was little, with less spots but much more mischievous intent, I put his crate across our bedroom door. Allowed the cats to come and go as they pleased and prevented him from every attempting to get on our bed.

Too funny ;)

One thing with my mad Dally pup - I have prevented him getting up to sooooo much mischief (Dally puppies are born naughty :o ) by supervising, confining, distracting, training and exercising during the first 18 months. He has never had the opportunity to dig, pull washing off the line, bark without good reason, rip up clothes/shoes, steal cat food etc and it doesn't even occur to him to do those things now :rofl:

Nope, my four year old Lab aquired a taste for them early and still loves them.

The sneaky bugger wont go in while we are around but waits. I remember very late one night i was sitting in the lounge room watching telly and I suspect lestat thought I had fallen asleep.

Up he gets and wanders towards the litter trays, very quietly opens the door with his foot and is half way in before I said anything. He jumped a mile in the air absolutly stunned, it was pretty funny.

Edited by Wolfsong

OMG - having the same problem here, we have ours behind the baby gate now with steps for the kitten to get over the gate :-) And they used to snaffle her food too so that's behinds the gate as well.

I like the idea of the plastic storage box! Or a friend suggested we get one of those trainers to train the cat to use the toilet?

I have actually bought one of the toilet cat trainers. Just haven't tried it yet. Might give it a go.

Little shocker is very well supervised. I feel like I am his shadow all day - doing the toilet training thing. He is yet to destroy anything, as he doesn't get the chance.

Oh well, might block off the laundry for now, and get to work on getting the cats to use the toilet. Wish me luck.

lol i have the same problem with my 5 month old APBT pup, first noticed it when he well ahh.... ate human crap :laugh: at a friends mums place going for a swim in her pool, the mum was away on holidays and locked up the house and my friends 5 yr old daughter needed to use the toilet... bruno was running around exploring and i found him well eating it ;) :mad:rofl:

anyway lol have also found he does it with cat poo as well, so now when his inside i keep an eye on him and keep him out of the laundry :eek:

Edited by addy001

Ours enjoy cat poo too - they sneak around and then come and give us kisses with rank cat poo breath. The litter tray sits on the toilet, until we get a more functional laundry...

I thought they may grow out of it..... but this thread has changed my mind..

:mad

My three and the one before absolutely love it!!! Especially as it's "forbidden fruit"

We have a three part hinged screen blocking the coridoor down to the bedrooms and laundry with a chair permanently at one side for cat access/retreat (the things we do for our pets :thumbsup: ) and the buggers have learnt to pull open the screen; all we hear is a scrabble of nails so they can get into the laundry a) first and b) before they're shouted at to come out and there's a scrabble of nails back the other way - very funny albeit gross :confused: & :thumbsup: (additionally; if OH 'forgets' to close the screen after him and there's been a violation, I encourage the poo-breath to go and lick him ... wicked! :thumbsup: )

But it's perfectly natural for them; they also love the little 'sweeties' left all over the grass by the wild ducks that use the dam ... that's vegetation so doesn't stink! But we can't use blood and bone; horse or cow manure on the garden or they'd gorge themselves - luvverly!