Fabric Crates

I don't have much experience in the fabric type crates (not even sure on the correct term!) so was wondering if anyone could recommend one to me? I have a standard crate but it's too heavy and inconvenient to lug around to training and trials so I was thinking of switching to a lighter one and re-train the crate (by that I mean, my girl hasn't been in one over a year where she used to sleep in it and she would probably whine in it if I left her in it in public!)

I actually wouldn't mind purchasing a second hand one (or two! :laugh:) in case it doesn't work out for us, so if anyone knows of a second hand one for sale (in Perth) that'd be great! :thumbsup:

Edit: would anyone know what size would suit an adult Labrador?

Edited by RubyStar

"Puppy Power" are wholesale and retail distributors who sell on ebay (although they also have a warehouse/store you can purchase from for those who are in Victoria and like to 'see before they buy'). I have purchased a metal crate, an outside dog kennel and just recently, a soft-crate (that's the term you're looking for, RubyStar) from them. Not to mention, dog mattresses. They are fantastic to deal with and IMO very reasonable. Their products are quality brands as well. PuppyPower Pet Products. Telephone 03 9791 9222. Ask for Marina or Glenn.

And no .... I have no allegance other than they've proved great to deal with. :laugh:

RubyStar .... when you purchase a soft crate, make sure to purchase one with a solid frame (you'll still be able to collapse it) rather than some others where the frame is 'bendy' type material. I just purchased one of the Puppy Power ones and what I like is that it has screen windows that can also be covered by the canvas window flaps. I think it also has a pocket on the outside of it somewhere (not sure .... haven't even taken it out of the car yet) and also has a spot where you can supposedly hook up a drinking thing (one of those lick/drink bottles).

My other soft crate - barely used (maybe a dozen times, maximum) proved to be too small for my growing boy, which is why I've replaced it with the size bigger. So I'll be selling mine (through here or ebay) at some stage soon. A DOLer here did express interest in it, although she didn't email me so not sure that she still wants it though. Have to check.

Soft crates are great in that they are FAR easier to move around. But you need to be sure your dog is very happy to be in a crate and for this reason, the metal ones are the ones you should crate train with.

Cheap soft crates dont last & if your placing a large breed in then the quality must be there for safety & re sassurance.

My large dogs are trained to use there soft crates .I also won one for BIS & when i placed my dog in it & he rolled over he rolled out as the quality was poor.

We have replaced the mesh with better quality .

I have the ones from the WA canine dog shop.Not cheap but have lasted over 4 years so far

Cheap soft crates dont last & if your placing a large breed in then the quality must be there for safety & re sassurance.

My large dogs are trained to use there soft crates .I also won one for BIS & when i placed my dog in it & he rolled over he rolled out as the quality was poor.

I have the ones from the WA canine dog shop.Not cheap but have lasted over 4 years so far

Yikes, my Lab would probably roll hers too, I'll make sure if I do get one to not go the stingy route :love:

I never thought to look at the canine shop (I assume at their grounds?). I'd much rather be able to buy one in person to save on the $50 postage charges! :love: Do you know what hours their shop is open? I've never been in there before but need to go, knowing full well I'll come out with my credit card clutching itself in pain after a good workout :thumbsup:

Another option to consider is the CCrates, Securapen.

It's metal but folds far flatter and is lighter than a 'normal' crate and can often fit more than one dog.

They ain't cheap but you'll only ever have to buy once. No seams to tear, fabric to eat and they don't get smelly.

Securapens are a popular choice for containing dogs around my way. :thumbsup:

i had a great soft crate that I would put my fosters in at night time and when I went out at night.

first foster, fine

second and third foster, fine

Fourth foster fine until

went to Lions meeting one night, put him in there, left my two out.

Came home to find three dogs excited at door because I was home, not the two expected. Yep Flashy had chewed through the front part.

So whilst they really are great, look better, and much easier to carry around I would be very careful using them.

Securapens are a popular choice for containing dogs around my way. :thumbsup:

Thanks, something else I'll look into :love:

Yep Flashy had chewed through the front part.

So whilst they really are great, look better, and much easier to carry around I would be very careful using them.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, though I don't expect to be using the soft crate for long periods of time alone. Basically it's to be used at a trial while I'm there with her or while training my other girl nearby :love:

Yikes, my Lab would probably roll hers too, I'll make sure if I do get one to not go the stingy route :eek:

I never thought to look at the canine shop (I assume at their grounds?). I'd much rather be able to buy one in person to save on the $50 postage charges! :rofl: Do you know what hours their shop is open? I've never been in there before but need to go, knowing full well I'll come out with my credit card clutching itself in pain after a good workout :rolleyes:

Hello,

The shop at the K9 is open usually whenever a show is (which is alll weekend this weekend - Cruise and I will be there :) )

They also have a website http://members.iinet.net.au/~wasps/

Hello,

The shop at the K9 is open usually whenever a show is (which is alll weekend this weekend - Cruise and I will be there :) )

They also have a website http://members.iinet.net.au/~wasps/

Thanks for the website, never knew about it!

:rofl: at their soft crate price, sounds cheaper to get one from ebay including delivery! :eek:

I might just make use of my metal crate again. Practically brand new, 50 bucks from the Quokka :rolleyes:

Good luck at your shows :rofl:

I got mine on ebay, I can't remember the brand name (it's something like noz2noz) but I remember that you could only find it by searching for sof krate (not soft crate). They were cheaper than a lot of them and mine is really sturdy. Best part is that you can remove the fabric from the frame and throw it in the washing machine. :rolleyes:

Mine is Penn-Plax, I can stake it to the ground and I got it half price for around $160 but it is the biggest size they make ... as it was shop soiled ... I was sick of carting the heavy metal crates around for my shepherds and this is just perfect at trials and training ... the cheap brands are not worth buying for a big dog ...

I'm after soft crates too. My viz and spin have large metal ones, but moving (driving) to Darwin I really need something more travel friendly, but need very sturdy, last forever ones. Great info. How do you know which ones have the best frames?? Is it based on cost?