Budding Photographer

leopuppy04

Ok - so I finally have enough money to get myself an SLR...... was wondering what everyone's recommendations would be.

My mum has an old (EOS) analogue Canon SLR, and since I have used Canon all my life, I would probably want to stick with that - I like the cameras and like the pictures they produce.

I don't know that much about photography, but would love to learn more - so what type of courses would you recommend (I also *hopefully* have a friend who will help me out too;) ).

Currently I have a canon powershot that I love mucking around with and learning on. I mainly love taking general shots - photos of the dogs (agility, showing, action, portraits), family and scenery (this I need to learn more on) so would love a camera with the versatility to do all of this.

So..... what should I be looking at.... currently I like the 450, but should I save money and go the 1000 or 400D? Is there any reason to go the model up? What should I look for, what features to I need?

Do SLR's have features like digital macro or colour accent etc?

What type of lenses should I be looking at? I think mum has a fairly good zoom lens which I could use and I'd love a wide angle lens..... obviously I'd love to get a twin lens pack, so not sure what I could get with that?

ETA - just checked mum's camera - her lens is a canon zoom lens EF 28 - 105mm, 1.4 - 5.6 (no idea what that means :thumbsup:).

THANKS!

Edited by leopuppy04

Cant see a problem saving some money and going for the 1000D - a couple of people on here have them and hvae been happy with them. You don't have to get anexpensive model unless you know exactly what the extra features do AND will use them now (not at some stage in the future when you feel you will know the basics as by then youd be upgrading to a new camera anyway if you are still mega keen).

There are various offers around for the cameras with twin lens kits to get you started and as your skill level grows then you know what phtography yo prefer and what lenses you would need for that photography (eg sports photos need a different tecnique and lenses from landscape phtography).

Hey LP - congrats on your decision to get a Canon!

You can compare cameras side-by-side at DpReview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp)

I checked out the 1000D, the 400D and the 450D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_po...0d&show=all

The main difference is the larger LCD on the 450D and a marginally better 'burst' capability (more shots in rapid succession) plus a few more megapixels (this matters little).

If it was me, I'd spend the extra $160 and get the 450D.

As for lenses, you get what you pay for. If you want to get serious, you'll now doubt end up wanted the best lenses you can afford. You'll almost certainly buy newer better lenses as your photography progresses.

I'd propbably start with a twin lens kit, one wide angle zoom and one telephoto zoom...

Something like this:

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2866.htm

Of course it all depends on budget!

If you ever need any tips - let me know!

Edited by Luke W

I went for the 450D and couldn't be happier with it...

Get the twin IS lens kit... comes with the EF-S 18-55mm IS and the EF-S 55-250mm IS lenses - the IS is great for eliminating those little shakes.

A decent UV filter, a spare battery, and a good sized memory card are also advised... *grin*

Tip: if you turn off the preview after taking photos thing, you'll get much better battery life. I've taken around 800 photos so far with mine, and only used 1/3 of the battery.

T.

The battery usage on teh sLR cameras depends on what you are taking, how much you use the view on the back how much you depend on the continuous shooting, etc.

Recently was very impressed that I got about a month out of one battery (ie 5 race metings and all day at a showjumping event) - they dont usually last that long but then I haven't been scrolling trough the images on the camera as much lately.

... can your Nikons get nearly 1200 photos out of one standard battery charge? ...

Well that's something I couldn't contemplate attempting. When I shoot an event I carry a back-up body and two spare batteries like I thought everybody did. I generally change the battery half to three-quarter through the day: better to have too much charge left than lose one critical shot by being miserly, why would you do that?

But look, on this Canon/Nikon thing, it doesn't really matter a toss, and used well the Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Minolta are fine too, no matter how they are badged or re-badged.

Edit for typo.

Edited by PossumCorner

... 2000 plus ... mid size and fine settings.

Yes that's the other variable, I mostly shoot Raw which puts less shots on a memory card, and not sure how it affects battery-life. The only time I use jpeg is if doing rapid-fire, but mostly I take single-shot at an obstacle. (We've put well over 2000 jpegs out from one battery shooting Flyball jpeg fine on rapid-fire, but with a D50, so again the comparisons get a bit "meaningless").

I still envy you the D3 but: ("jealous as hell' probably describes it better). I still have the older D50 and D70. And our latest are the D80 and D90, but yep, I would love the extra magic that the D3 offers.

Thanks PC - not sure whether I would have bought by then or not - I have no time to go shopping :thumbsup:

My main question now is lenses :thumbsup: I can't afford to spend thousands on lenses, but I don't think that kit lenses are worthwhile.

What would be your recommendations? I would still like two lenses - one for landscape/ portraits and one for zoom....

suggestions?

Definitely get the f2.8 lenses at either the lower focal (28-70) or higher (80-200) zoom ranges. The 28-70 tamron is a great lens and fantastic for portraits. I have just invested in a 2nd hand 28-105 f2.8 and can't wait for it to arrive!

See the discussion on the 1.4 v 1.8 50mm lenses which are great for photos.

If you are going to do scenery type stuff, you'll need something around the 17 or 18mm or lower to capture your view, or go even lower, but then it starts to cost :thumbsup:

Lenses really depend on what you want to shoot. I have the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses, but now that I have taking pictures for 6 months, I love doing the "portrait" type pictures over the scenery type ones, so went for the 28-105 f2.8.... so much sharper, brighter and closer without having to swap lenses.