Feminine Hygiene

PandaGirl

My 8-9 month old desexed bitch shows no interest in keeping her girlie bits clean. I've taken to daily cleaning with baby wipes, but I think she's getting an infection because she clenches any time someone touches the general area. I've never had a bitch before, so I have no idea what I can do to get her to do her chores! Is this normal behaviour? Is it because she's from a large (11) litter and her mother just didn't teach her?

If you are having to clean it then one presumes she has a major issue that needs vet help otherwise bitches dont just sit there licking there fanny all day to keep clean.

If you are wiping all the time maybe your creating the issue??

What is there around that area that needs regular cleaning??

I'm intrigued as well. I cannot think of anything on a desexed female that would need regular wiping. What sort of dog is she?

Edited by vjb

Ive got a desexed bitch and I never see her licking down there but she probably does now and again.Has she got a discharge or something?Otherwise I carnt understand why youd be using baby wipes on her everyday like settrlvr says your probably making her sore.

She's got a smell from there, and when I do clean it the wipes always come away very dirty. I don't expect her to obsessively lick, but in the whole time I've had her and been with her while she does the rest of her cleaning, she's never once cleaned there. It's been about a week since I last cleaned her myself and it's only just now started to appear sore.

She's got a smell from there, and when I do clean it the wipes always come away very dirty. I don't expect her to obsessively lick, but in the whole time I've had her and been with her while she does the rest of her cleaning, she's never once cleaned there. It's been about a week since I last cleaned her myself and it's only just now started to appear sore.

What made you first feel you should wipe? Was there a discharge? Or was it simply the smell? Is she short haired or long haired?

It was more the smell that first made me think she was dirty, she's short haired but spends a LOT of time digging and lying in dirt or swimming in local lakes. She's the first dog I've raised from a pup so I'm a bit anxious about things.

I have had female dogs all my life and have never had to wipe them regardless that they live a normal dogs life which includes lying in the dirt, swimming etc you should not being doing this. Definately take her to the vet if you think she has an infection but I would stop wiping her with wipes as your probably causing the iritation there. :(

Is her anatomy normal? Not inverted? How old was she when she was desexed?

She was 6 months when she was desexed, didn't go on heat at all, I'm guessing it's normal, it looks like I've seen in other bitches, but will take her to the vet this week to be sure she's ok. Thanks you guys.

I think your doing the right thing with the visit to the vet. Let us know what happens. :(

Guest belgian.blue

Ivy was like that when I first got her, but her breeder assured me it was nothing to worry about. Some girls are lazy in that department. I cleaned her fanny a few times as the smell of urine was rather strong. Being a long haired breed the urine was more likely to be trapped around the fur.

Now at 6 months shes a lot better at doing it herself. The hair around her bits still gets wiffy but that just gets an extra wash at bath time.

Pups / bitches with recessed or inverted vulvas do go through stages of needing to be cleaned with antibacterial wipes.

It is possible that for the above of for some other reason she is getting urine on herself, this causes the area to become sore and smelly.

Otherwise could be a UTI or related infection; or vaginal dermatitis.

Hopefully you've got a good vet who will let you know ;) x

Um I would say that it's not normal if a bitch is licking her vulva all the time. If you are having to clean it all the time then something is wrong. Sounds like your girl has an infection.

Can't say my bitch cleans her bits or even needs to, she can't even reach there. Other bitches I have cared for, that can actually reach there, might have the occassional lick but not all the time. The only time I clean there is when they are in the bath about once a week.