Et Were Doin It !

SwaY

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem is my butt and the bike seat, and yes i have a gel seat and bike pants too but it still hurts :( why didnt it hurt when i was a kid :(

Yep I wonder that one, given that I have a lot more padding on my butt these days. Good luck to you all with your ET, look forward to hearing your sucess stories.

Riley's ET training is going well, he is doing 7ks with the bike and about 2.5ks walking nearly everyday and swimming once a week. My butt is getting used to the bike seat and it doesnt hurt so much now :( .

How is everyone else going?

Riley's ET training is going well, he is doing 7ks with the bike and about 2.5ks walking nearly everyday and swimming once a week. My butt is getting used to the bike seat and it doesnt hurt so much now :rolleyes: .

How is everyone else going?

Last year when I did Bear's ET my butt never hurt once in all the training we did but come the day of the ET it was a whole different story :rofl: Think this year I might invest in the padded bike shorts :laugh:

We have taken the only Schipps to ET in OZ, if they can do it most breeds can do it.

Rebanne, Can't you have a substitute handler? get someone else to train Fern and take her in the trial?

My OH rode a bike and took Ch Semois Cinders ET and passed.

Then tried a male and FAILED, I say he didn't train enough with him but OH says it was because I was there & he was too attched to me.

Then tried with Gr Ch Beadale My Rebecca ET and passed.

All at Cherry Lake.

Was hoping OH would take Jessie through but a trial the DAY BEFORE Schipp speciality would not be a good idea.

I think Jess would have stamina to do it.

Also the speed of training should vary, when OH went in the 3rd trial the judge took the whole grp at 10klms an hr ;) while the dog was trained at approx 6 klms hr. Also did some practice at Cherry Lake which I think helps as you can be prepared for different surfaces/obsticles.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!![/size] :laugh::)

BB

Rebanne, Can't you have a substitute handler? get someone else to train Fern and take her in the trial?

No, besides the fact I want to do her myself, there actually isn't anyone available. She's only 2, still got 6 years left :eek:

Yeah...my dog got his ET...was a piece of cake for me (cough cough cough cough cough) Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

Yeoville All He Can Be ADX JDX SPD SD GDX ET <--- check it!

Check him out in action!

DSC00252.jpg

I picked him up on Friday, now watch me turn this titled monster into a lazy slob :eek:

Benson and I are absolutely loving the training. We head out after dinner, he runs, I pedal. He's quiet, I'm quiet. We have this agreement.....it's our *quiet* time together....mum and dog, running, cycling, bonding. It's fabulous.

Til three nights ago.

Miss 15 decided she needed to come and bond with us too.

How to wreck ET training 101.

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! Hurry up!"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! You're too SLOW!!!"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! Can I take him now? He's not just YOUR dog!"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! Ride BEHIND us, he keeps pulling to catch up to you!!!"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! Why does he keep turning around to look for you, he's pulling me off my bike!!"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! He wants to stop all the time!"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! Oh gross, Benson that's disgusting, mum why does he have to do a shit RIGHT NOW?"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!! Here, you take him he doesn't do ANYTHING for me!"

"Mu-um......MU-UM!!!OK I'll take him now, he's being a good boy!" (that's cos there's high school boys up ahead and how cool does SHE look with a handsome black dog running alongside her bike!)

Tomorrow night we lay some ground rules.

1. It's my ride, we go at whatever pace I like. Don't like the pace, don't come on the ride.

2. He IS my dog, I chose him, I paid for him, I feed and groom him, I exercise him, I train him. He sleeps under MY bed.

3. No matter where I ride, he is going to want to be with me. Why? See rule 2.

4. When a dog's gotta poop, a dog's gotta poop and he needs to find the perfect place first.

5. It's probably not gonna look too cool when you fall off your bike in front of all those boys cos Benson would rather run with me than you.

Maybe it would just be easier to sneak out the bedroom window and go without her.

We did 18kms this afternoon (without Miss 15!) and both dogs did it with ease. In fact the only one who's hurting is my husband who keeps complaining about a sore arse. :laugh:

It took us about 2 hours, we were trying to go about 10kmph but I think at times we were going faster and other times a bit slower. It was a lovely ride though, and we timed the end of it just nicely.....as we were packing the bikes onto the car, the rain came down and hasn't stopped since.

How is everyone else doing?

Well I only got my bike last Thursday and only yesterday worked out how to put the brakes together so have only ridden it twice :eek: I have no fricken' idea how I am going to do this!!! Anyone whose done this before, there are no hills we have to climb are there? I am working on my fitness but honestly am now having doubts whether I will be able to do it :rofl:

Caber is fine, very interested in the bike :) and not at all afraid, was following happily when I rode it around the backyard. I plan to take him out on the weekend, once I'm more confident in my riding ability :cry:

You sound like me when I got my bike at Christmas.....I hadn't ridden one in 30 years so I had to relearn it and I felt really awkward/clumsy/terrified and had no idea how I was going to manage to ride around the school oval let alone a 20km endurance test.

But it didn't take long to get the hang of it and now I cna't wait til July cos we're rarin' to go!

Hopefully we can fit some more long rides in over Easter. Now daulight savings has finished we can't ride after work and I don't have time before work to train.

You sound like me when I got my bike at Christmas.....I hadn't ridden one in 30 years so I had to relearn it and I felt really awkward/clumsy/terrified and had no idea how I was going to manage to ride around the school oval let alone a 20km endurance test.

But it didn't take long to get the hang of it and now I cna't wait til July cos we're rarin' to go!

Hopefully we can fit some more long rides in over Easter. Now daulight savings has finished we can't ride after work and I don't have time before work to train.

I sold my old bike in 2004 so it's been about 5 years for me. I'm not keen on going on the roads atm but am getting used to it. Now I just need to work out how I'm going to get down to the bike path wioth the dog (as I don't drive :provoke:) I think I will be the crazy lady walkiing a bike and a dog :thumbsup: On weekends, Fridays and Monday mornings mum is home so will drive Caber down to the park and meet me there...

Walked it up and down the hallway this evening (yes, tyres are clean!!), with some treats in hand and Caber doesn't appear at all afraid :laugh:

Oh and i was talking to Cabe's breeders about it (Cabe's sire did his ET last year) and she actually had the brakes on her bike swapped over (so right hand was the rear brake), which is a really good idea so I am going to get the bike shop to do that next week for me.

I'm not keen on going on the roads atm but am getting used to it.

I don't go on the roads unless they are VERY quiet residential streets. But our town is criss-crossed with bike paths and cyclists can go pretty much anywhere in the town and not have to ride on the road.

and she actually had the brakes on her bike swapped over (so right hand was the rear brake),

My rear brakes are my left hand, but I'm left-handed so it seemed perfectly natural to me. I never use the front brakes though.

I look like such a dag with my bike, cos I have a basket on the front and I love it. I can carry all kinds of things in my basket....treats, water, snacks, jacket etc. but I get no end of ribbing from my husband and daughter cos they think I look silly.

Yes, the rear brake is usually on the left hand side, but seeing as I will be holding onto the dog's leash with my left hand I want to be able to access the brakes easily lol. I don't use the front brake either. Too dangerous :laugh: I miss good old pedal brakes.

I haven't got much choice about where I ride apart from the bike tracks (which I have to ride to...), being in the city it's against the law to ride on the footpath. And I bought the bike as amethod of transport for general use (get to work, train station, shops etc) so i'd better get used to it fast! There are a few bike lanes on the busiest roads though which is :laugh:

As for the basket- good on ya :cry: I'm planning to get a parcel rack with saddle bags I think. But am considering a basket instead. Currently I have a little purse type thing strapped to the handlebars to carry my keys, phone etc.

Edited by SpikesPuppy