Et Were Doin It !

SwaY

Went out today with Geords but it was only a short one because still warm at 4.30ish.

We went up an enbankment to a flat area to do some grass riding and then I saw two large dogs off lead coming the other way. As there is a creek on one side and fencing all the way on the other side for about 1.2km I did a sharp u-turn- too sharp- on the side of the hill, with the slick tyres on and tipped over! :mad :mad :laugh: :laugh: I have been riding since I was like 4yo and I never fall off. :mad:o

Oh well, the rest of the ride was uneventful and back tomorrow for another round. :eek:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) S&T!! Wish I had been there :laugh:

I have been riding every day, woo. managed 5k on my own without too much pain :)

and on Friday took Cabes down to the park and he took to running alongside the bike like a duck to water :rolleyes: So pleased with my little bloke. Am teaching him left and right so I on't run into him or pull him. Rode around the empty carpark mostly, then ventured onto the bike path, but the grass and trees were a bit of a challege LOL but it wont take long for him to learn to focus. He keeps a nice pace with me, and isn't at all afraid of the bike. Very pleased :o

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked the Geocities trial list and found this:

Saturday 23/5/09 - HUNGARIAN VIZSLA CV Inc - Open Endurance Test (KCC Park) CANCELLED

So its the Dalamation Club now on June 6, unless I am missing something it is the only test left in the Melb metro area....

Does anyone have any reccomendations for pad soreness? I am finding my girl can run all day muscle and stamina wise, but she is getting pad sore? is there anything we can use to sort this out? I have been told stockholm Tar might help?

Saturday 23/5/09 - HUNGARIAN VIZSLA CV Inc - Open Endurance Test (KCC Park) CANCELLED

So its the Dalamation Club now on June 6, unless I am missing something it is the only test left in the Melb metro area....

There is the German Shepherd Dog club's ET on June 27th at Altona. Schedule is on the GSDCV website.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for pad soreness? I am finding my girl can run all day muscle and stamina wise, but she is getting pad sore? is there anything we can use to sort this out? I have been told stockholm Tar might help?

I use Carole Bryants Pad Wax from www.berigorafarm.com.au.

I guess if that doesn't work check it's not her pasterns that's the issue...??

There is the German Shepherd Dog club's ET on June 27th at Altona. Schedule is on the GSDCV website.

Good thing I checked this thread, in my mind it was the end of July, not June haha. Damn, haven't got so much time to train myself :rolleyes:

Obviously I will have to reschedule my date....pity about the Vizsla Club trial- anyone know why it's cancelled? Edit found answer...scheduling clash!

I needed more time anyhoo.

Come to Altona S & T! Geordie and Cabes can play :thumbsup:

Woo hoo :hug: I'll have a friend :rofl:

Caber and I are going okay- I think Ziva is a little jealous at all the walkies and special attention he gets though LOL. Haven't yet got a bike computer thingy so not sure how far/fast we are going yet but a steady trot (for the dog) 2k to the park, then a lap of the park and the 2k back home in 30 or so minutes seems about right time wise... and Caber still wants to keep on going :happydance2: Only problem is him wanting to mark every tree :happydance2: am working on teaching him not to mark when attached to the bike..... would hate to do this wih Ziva, she is not a quick learner haha. Fortunately Caber is :)

Am looking at making it down the bike track to ride along the beach by this weekend, estimating around 10 k short trip and 20k all the way to Altona and back.... it's quite pleasant actually just riding along with the dog.

Guest CaptainCourageous
I have decided i will give the ET a go myself.

Be sure to have a chat with Frances H about this wrt your breed.

PM me with an email address if you want to read about my first ET.

I'm starting to think the GSD event at Cherry Lake is sounding appealing, now my bitch has gone Grand - not much time to prepare though !

CC

• 1 month later...

How is everyone going? Anyone got their ET title yet?

Ours is less than 2 weeks away, I've booked the vet appointment for this Wednesday and we're raring to go. We've been out today and done a 13km ride, Benson still had heaps of energy left so 20 kms is gonna be easy-peasy for him.

I can't wait! It's a very early start.....7am check in then the obedience tests start at 7.30am and the ET at 8am. There are 2 others from my obedience club doing it too, so we'll be cheering each other on.

How is everyone going? Anyone got their ET title yet?

Ours is less than 2 weeks away, I've booked the vet appointment for this Wednesday and we're raring to go. We've been out today and done a 13km ride, Benson still had heaps of energy left so 20 kms is gonna be easy-peasy for him.

I can't wait! It's a very early start.....7am check in then the obedience tests start at 7.30am and the ET at 8am. There are 2 others from my obedience club doing it too, so we'll be cheering each other on.

You'll ace it Gayle, Benson sounds like he could do it backwards.

After reading this thread I decided that I would give it a go with my Aussie, Jenna. we had our ET on Saturday and despite the weather everyone passed. Jenna and I trained for about 6 weeks before hand gradually increasing the distance but the most distance we did was only about 8km at a time. Jenna was and is well toned at the moment so might have to keep up some of the biking. We actually trained at a higher speed than we needed to, Jenna never needed to get out of a trot but when we did the ET we were apparently going abit fast so had to slow down. Jenna started to get bored the last couple of Km's so I used the lure of her doggie mates telling her that they were at the finish line. She finished looking really alert and wondering where her doggie mates were. (nice and dry/warm at home)

The only suggestion I would have for others is pad your bike seat well, I bought a gel cover for mine but that was no where near any help. I told my sister that if I survived this one then I would do it again with one of her Aussies so next time I might wrap my seat well with plenty of padding, perhaps a smaller bike might help too as the one I use is really too big for me.

Anyone who is reluctant to give it a go because they don't think they are fit enough, I thought the same as they don't come much unfitter than me. We only trained three days a week on average and although the legs were slightly jelly whenever I hopped of the bike at the ET I actually felt quite energised for the rest of the weekend.

The only suggestion I would have for others is pad your bike seat well, I bought a gel cover for mine but that was no where near any help.

I bought myself a beautiful bike for Christmas last year and requested the original seat be changed for something really comfortable. The guy at the bike shop recommended a lovely big squashy gel-filled seat, and it's fantastic.

We have been training since Christmas, although less now since daylight savings has stopped. The longest we've been in one ride was about 17 kms, and Benson wanted to chase a frisbee afterwards! My bum wasn't one bit sore after tha ride, but my husband who has a much cheaper (K Mart) bike and a standard cheap seat didn't fare quite so well.

We will keep up the riding afterwards because I'll then be training Dusty for her ET next year and also because the dogs and I really love it. It has totally surprised me how much I enjoy bike riding, and also how much fun it is riding with your dog alongside you. It's very much a bonding exercise and requires total trust on both sides.....me trusting that he won't pull me off the bike, and him trusting that I'll maintain a speed he can run at and that I'll protect him from anything that could hurt him.