Henschke's Not Well...

poochmad

(This has been posted in the general thread as well, but wanted to post it here as well to capture all posters' experiences and knowledge.)

Today we were out walking and Henschke was doing his normal 'business', when the next second he yelped and leapt sideways. We noticed he wasn't putting his foot down and when hubby checked it, found a thistle in the middle of the pad. Even after it was removed, Henschke refused to put his foot down and in fact lay down.

Luckily the vet was still open.

The vet thinks that when he jumped sideways he moved in a non-usual manner and has either torn or ruptured his cruciate ligament. He's currently on

anti-flammatory mixed with pain meds. We have to keep him quiet for 5 days. If he's still limping after the meds, then there is a good chance he's got a ruptured cruciate ligament and he'll need surgery.

The vet also commented that he is 'tense' in his joint and so it's difficult to fully diagnose, although both knees seem similiar.

He's a lot quieter than he normally is and is still favouring his leg. It's obviously uncomfortable for him as he gets up and down a lot and his leg 'twitches'.

Luckily hubby and I can both work from home, so tomorrow it's hubby's turn and then I will stay home the following days.

The vet has said to keep him on the lead in the house, not to let him jump or run around...but has said we can still walk him. Others on the general thread have recommended to not walk him and to crate him.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

:mad

Hi poochmad

I'm not sure I would be walking him as if he has ruptured his cruciate ligament then I imagine it will be quite painful. Casual backyard exercise at his own pace may be better? I did post about my experience in the other thread but I can't offer much advice in the way of care as our pup pretty much had the surgery straight after diagnosis. Hope it all turns out okay for Henschke! :mad

Have been through ruptured cruciates twice now.

I wouldn't walk him at all for the next 5 days - give his leg a chance to rest and heal - just in case it's just a partial rupture. If it's a full rupture, no amount of rest will heal it. But you won't know that for the next week or so.

All the vets I've dealt with (and there's been a few who have pulled on my dogs legs to check the cruciate ruptures and subsequent repairs) have all been able to tell straight away the difference. So if your vet isn't too sure what has happened with Henschke, that might just be good news! Fingers crossed for you anyway. :mad

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

Have been through ruptured cruciates twice now.

I wouldn't walk him at all for the next 5 days - give his leg a chance to rest and heal - just in case it's just a partial rupture. If it's a full rupture, no amount of rest will heal it. But you won't know that for the next week or so.

All the vets I've dealt with (and there's been a few who have pulled on my dogs legs to check the cruciate ruptures and subsequent repairs) have all been able to tell straight away the difference. So if your vet isn't too sure what has happened with Henschke, that might just be good news! Fingers crossed for you anyway. :mad

Thanks.

We've decided not to walk him and to keep him on the lead in the house as he just can't help himself (I presume the anti-flammatories have already started as he's walking without limping).

I expect because of the way he injured his leg, she may be covering all bases first and thinking it's a partial rupture.

Obviously, we're hoping it's a strain only and he will be right as rain ASAP.

Trying to keep an active 8 month old quiet is pretty hard going.

ETA: he will be crated as well and only when he's quiet will he be on the lead.

Edited by poochmad

:love::mad Henschke .

Hope you feeling better this morning

Thanks MTD. :D

This morning the little buggerluggs raced out of his crate before we could grab him, ran around the room at break neck speed and then bolted down the stairs much to our horror! :)

Gawd. Now I'm really hoping that it's just a strain as if not, here comes a full ruptured ligament!!! :love:

Now he's on the lead and will be crated as well.

It's hard, because already he's not limping and is walking normally...? Will the anti-inflammatories have worked so quickly? If he's walking normally, does that mean he's only had a strain? Or is it masked by the meds he's on?

Yep the anti-inflams sure do work so quickly. Usually kick in after about an hour and then the dog will think they can run around like a lunatic. I know what your going through as my 9 month old BC strained something about a fortnight ago so it was off to the chiro (happened to be taking my older girl anyway) 5 days of leash walking only of which she did not approve of in the slightest. Have to say though the bugger looked like she was walking funny again on Mon night so I ran around making another chiro appointment (which is this afternoon) and she was running like a lunatic this morning. The joys of having a high drive dog and a puppy at that. God knows if there is anything the matter.

Ruptured cruciates generally respond poorly to anti inflamms so I would think it very unlikely that Henschke has ruptured his cruciate if he is back to normal and not lame the following day.

Also, as has already been said, the vet should be able to feel straight away as there will be draw in the knee and it won't be tight. In some cases we need to sedate them to feel because it's so painful, but generally it's not that hard.

Hopefully it was just the prickle in the foot that was painful and nothing more serious.

Keep him crated for the next few days no matter how much he seems to have improved.

That's what we've decided to do. He's now out of the crate, but kept on a very 'tight' leash. When he's on the lead he just lies around, whereas when he's in the crate he whinges like a baby.

I'm happy for him to lie around if that's what makes him happy.

Considering he hasn't been for a walk now for 2 days, he's coping surprisingly well.

We've decided to keep going with the no exercise and the short lead until Saturday and then stop the meds to see what happens (as we can't work home on Monday) and we need to know what's going on.

I'm thinking it was just a sprain, but not taking any chances, just in case.

Yep the anti-inflams sure do work so quickly. Usually kick in after about an hour and then the dog will think they can run around like a lunatic. I know what your going through as my 9 month old BC strained something about a fortnight ago so it was off to the chiro (happened to be taking my older girl anyway) 5 days of leash walking only of which she did not approve of in the slightest. Have to say though the bugger looked like she was walking funny again on Mon night so I ran around making another chiro appointment (which is this afternoon) and she was running like a lunatic this morning. The joys of having a high drive dog and a puppy at that. God knows if there is anything the matter.

Completely understand, LOL. Oh the joys of puppies!

Henschke's a bit of a sook, so we're not sure whether it's real or just in his hairy head...

I've done a bit of reading about cruciate ligament tears...and I'm wondering if Henschke just had a bit of a strain, considering the way he acted this morning when he went around the bedroom and down the stairs (and that was before his meds).

After my 'research', I'm definitely hoping it was just a strain and nothing more.

I've done a bit of reading about cruciate ligament tears...and I'm wondering if Henschke just had a bit of a strain...

That's what I thought (or possibly put something 'out') when I read your OP. IMO, unless the cruciate was already damaged, what he did shouldn't have been enough for the cruciate to simply rupture so easily.

Hope it does prove to simply be a sprain.

I've done a bit of reading about cruciate ligament tears...and I'm wondering if Henschke just had a bit of a strain...

That's what I thought (or possibly put something 'out') when I read your OP. IMO, unless the cruciate was already damaged, what he did shouldn't have been enough for the cruciate to simply rupture so easily.

Hope it does prove to simply be a sprain.

Agree Erny. The vet didn't seem to think it was a complete rupture, but covered her butt by ruling out a possible partial tear.

This morning I noticed he was walking fine, not favouring his leg or anything and I commented to hubby how quickly the meds work...and he said, I haven't given him any!

Whoo-hoo!

We've decided to keep him quiet (i.e. no walks, jumping or running) until Saturday and then stop the meds. If he has pulled/strained something, then this will give him ample time to heal.

(I'm so excited!)

Our labrador Fraser had a similar injury - I was playing frisbee with him in the backyard and as he jumped up to catch the flying object he landed awkwardly and was limping on his right hind leg...

Was told to keep him quiet and on Prolet tablets for 1-2 weeks. It has been approximately 1 month since it happened and he is showing no signs of the injury - so I think it was just a sprain. When he first did it, he was unable to cock his leg to 'mark his territory' but now he seems quite confident to fully weight bear on either of his hind legs.

I would recommend after your dog shows signs of weight bearing on the leg to perhaps take him/her to a bowen therapist or dog chiropractor. I took Fraser to a bowen therapist and he reported that Fraser had only sprained the ligaments and not torn them... since then he has been perfectly fine and is still an active and happy dog.

Sticks1977 :thumbsup: