Warrnambool (vic) Dolers

jerojath

Hi all,

Just a quick update on training, after last weeks debarcle!!!! I am happy to report all went fantastic for us. It seems the mutt has forgotten about what had happened last week, and was his happy friendly self. YAHOO thanks to Pandii and Seb the food junkie.

But I cant say the same for the OP and their dog who seems out of control, its a sad and scary thing to see a person who has almost NO control over their own dog :rofl:

tlc I just spent the arvo out at Bunnings LOL I should have gone tomorrow instead but didnt think about it LOL OH well just a excuse to have to go out there again to meet you (I love bunnings hehehe)

Pandii dont forget to send me those no and web addresses LOL

Cheers Janet

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So glad your doggie is back to normal, its always a worry when they have an incident, you never know how long it will take them if ever to bounce back.

And yes definatley come and introduce yourself next time your out at Bunnings, would love to meet you and put a face to the name. I know what Pandii looks like now, thanks to Bunnings....LOL

Can I ask what type of dog is the out of control one, just curious, we had one of those today at training as well, a very high energy whip x staffy.

not so much out of control but really demanding physically needing to be on the go all the time so much energy!!

anyway great to hear you had a nice day.

Guest Pandii

The out of control dog is a rotti, absolutely a case of the owners having no idea

Rottis need strong leadership, if you dont lead they will and then you ahve huge trouble, which is the case here, teh dog has no respect for its owners.

I am glad the owners are at training but I think its to little to late, if they stick at it and learn and use one on one training they should end up with a much better controlled dog

TLC thanks for the great photos, I have saved them. I cant believe you had ones of us lol

Yea funny about the photos, I guess it is a small world after all. With regards to the Rotti, we had one same scenario at training a few months before christmas, possibly the same people?? The dogs name was Roxy, she was a lovely dog but like you said they need a firm leader and this dog did not have that and never had she was boss cocky, not a good combo, she was a beautiful looking dog too!! It is funny with training you certainly see all types but like you said good to see people with problems at training at least they are being responsible dog owners and trying to do the right thing. The dogs pick up the training easy it is the people that are sometimes hard to get through to!! I wish we had more dog activities in the area even another dog club that did fly ball and more dog type activities.

Guest Pandii

Yep Roxy is the dogs name, wow, you would of thought that by now they ahd more sense

The lady was handling her the first week now the husband is.

I am not sure about fly ball but have you done agility, we have it at our club.

ha has to be the same dog, she left our club as we have a lot of off lead socialization and she attacked a few dogs as the owner wasnt watching her, not nice for the other dogs. But she was worse on the lead, at least they are trying i guess, I have done agility (at harris street) with my older dog when he was a bit younger he loved it, but now that I train I cant fit it in as it is always on a Sunday, which is a pain as he really loved it and took to it right away. We have the occasional fun day where we have a little bit of agility equipment and we play a few games but thats it. My youngest girl would love fly ball she is obsessed with the ball, a born retriever and loves to run and jump, great combo for flyball. We have also done some tracking with Cooper (the oldest) he loved that as well, gonna do some more of that soon.

They sure did, and the idea is all owners watch and play close attention to thier dogs and if they (or the trainers) feel the dog is not behaving in the right way, it goes back on its lead, she was ok for most of the time but every now and then she would just attack and the other dogs werent doing anything wrong to start it at all. And if she was on lead and any dogs went near her that she didnt like she would just down them and have a go. Sounds like she has gotten worse as she has gotten older?? I dont think she is that old anyway perhaps 2 ?? She origianlly came to Brierly as a young puppy for puppy classes she did a couple of lessons and never came back till the dog was older perhaps 18 months?? not sure of the time frame, so I guess the biggest thing is not enough socialization and not a firm enough handler/owner??

Guest Pandii

Could be a number of things, breeding, I might chat to her and find out where the dog came from. No socialization or lack of leader, you never know and I am no expert.

If they even thought about letting it off lead I would have a fit

You would think by now if they have been coming to training and listening to what they need to do the dog would improve, maybe there is more to it?? Pity we didnt have a Ceaser Millan in Australia!! Do you guys have any off lead socializaton at your training classes?

Guest Pandii

TLC I will PM you

on another note, we dont have off lead socialization, thank god, we introduce our dogs but on lead, some dogs thrive on it others wellllllll, My Seb would freak if some in your face dog bounded up to him and I dont want this to happen, on lead I can avoid the dogs I feel need to be given more room

Yes I totally understand where your coming from with the off lead thing, usually with our lot, they come as pups and are off lead as pups and go through the puppy training then the well behaved program then on to general trainign if they want to keep going so a lot of the dogs know each other right from pups, so then if new dogs come, they have an assesment first and stay on lead till we know they are ok with other dogs then we just take it on a case by case basis, its all very informal and you can keep your dog on lead if you want to. so people have the option of either, I love that part of it as my guys just love to run around with all the other dogs, they are the class clowns!!

Hey tlc is this in an enclosed area?????? I would be a little worried my guys might go for a wander and decide not to come back. Mind you so far they always do but I am not confident in there recall enough to find out the hard way LOL I am a bit of a chicken hehehehehe.

Cheers Janet

Edited by Riley James

Guest Pandii

Tenties, what is going on out there ??? :champagne:

Janet, no its no in an enclosed area, I have found the 2 training groups to be totally different

I am not a fan of the Briely one, but I understand that others may be

Tenties, what is going on out there ??? :birthday:

Im just feeling a tad silly,

They are my landlord and his son they THINK they know more than anybody else and will cut you off with the "I know that " line anytime you try and tell them something..so i havent told them their notice to vacate was invalid LOL our next stop is VCAT and i suppose they know that too, consumer affairs just said to tell them to ring them come the day :champagne:

Tenties, sounds like your having a hard time of it, hope it all works out in the long run.

Janet, Pandii is right thier is no enclosed area just an oval that we train on. Ive been going there for 3 years and never ever ave we had any dog run away, they all tend to hang around. My four are off leash where ever I go (usually brierly, thunder point, albert park etc) and I am confident with thier recall, they have all been off leash since they were tiny puppies so it is kind of engrained in to them, apart from when they are chasing rabbits...LOL

Pandii is also right about the two different clubs they are very different, We have had people come to us from Harris street that didnt like it and people go to harris street from us as they didnt like us, so I guess it is just what suits the individual.

Guest Pandii

Some dogs nned different training methods, Seb would probably go well at either, apart from the off lead time.

But Ty needs firm training and Brieley was to soft for him

I got into trouble for growling at him lol

The methods we use are all gentle modern methods, (no chockers, no punishment, all positive reinforcments food etc...) and I am lucky with my guys, this has worked really well for them. But I do agree with you that this isnt the answer for every dog (Hope the head trainer isnt a member of DOL...LOL) Some need different methods I was going to say forceful but it isnt really the right word to use. I have seen a few dogs come through that would have benifited more with a lot firmer handling, and a lot of the ones that have had problems really need special attention and different handling methods than we provide. Did you go there when Faye was the teacher?? She helped me train Cooper, when I started I didnt have a clue as we had just lost our old dog at 16 so it had been a long time since I had a puppy. I made a lot of Mistakes with Cooper but have gotten better as Ive gone along...LOL you'd think after 4 I should have it down pat by now...LOL!!

Hmmm i went to one that sounds like yours tlc, all it did was teach the dog i took that he could bark and have a go at other dogs, they had me call him to me and give him a reward everytime he went off.. i have stopped him from doing that now... Doogie is a very smart little boy and he loves his Mum lots he knows im top dog around here and he is second on the ladder but if he takes things too far he knows he's in trouble..

Linda....