Aren't Genetics Amazing!

Vickie

I was watching a clip this morning & it reminded me of some others I had bookmarked.

A collection of clips, First exposure to stock

Watching these pups just blows me away, each & every time I see it happen. I have seen this with both my girls, no training, just pure & utter instinct. I know that first exposure is not everything & there have been some very talented dogs come out of ordinary beginnings, but when it starts like this it has to be a good sign.

Lots of dogs have an instinct to chase, but these dogs are clearly showing complex working traits. Amazing!

Edited by Vickie

I was watching a clip this morning & it reminded me of some others I had bookmarked.

A collection of clips, First exposure to stock

Watching these pups just blows me away, each & every time I see it happen. I have seen this with both my girls, no training, just pure & utter instinct. I know that first exposure is not everything & there have been some very talented dogs come out of ordinary beginnings, but when it starts like this it has to be a good sign.

Lots of dogs have an instinct to chase, but these dogs are clearly showing complex working traits. Amazing!

Fascinating post Vickie! Thanks.

Don't know if you saw it, but they had three kelpies on "Australia's Got Talent" which were herding ducks in turn. The oldest was a few years old, and was basically there to save the day if the pups messed up. The youngest two were 6 months old and 8 or 12 weeks old, from memory. The 8 or 12 week old was incredible - one of the ducks separated from the group, and the host was basically laughing at the pup as he went after the lone duck... and they felt he WASN'T doing the job he was supposed to (ie., keeping the other ducks together). What I saw, was I dog who was doing exactly what his job was - getting all the ducks back together. I think he actually managed to herd the lone duck back to the rest of them - which was no mean feat when the had a small fence around the ducks on stage!

Did anyone see the guy on "Australia's got talent" with the kelpies rounding up the ducks? It was so cool he had a little pup already showing the behaviour :thumbsup: (only one duck escaped on the pup)

ETA: Snap squeak!

Edited by tkay

Great videos Vickie. It is truly amazing what some working dogs are capable of even before they are trained.

I have a video of my boy working ducks at 7 weeks. Amazing that such a tiny thing can work. If I was more clever I would post it but I dont know how :thumbsup: .

Is that Paul Macphail on Australias got Talent?? Its great!!

Yes that's Paul McPhail. He has the Beloka kelpie stud in Welshpool Victoria....that's where our bitch is from :laugh:

Sophie is Paul's "right hand" dog, she took over from his old boy Max a few years ago.

You should see his dogs form a temporary "holding pen" for about 200 sheep whilst he drenches them. Truly amazing!

Is this clip current? Was it on recently? I'd love to see him go onto the next stage. :thumbsup:

I have crap broadband so can't indulge in vids . . .

Just to say genetics works both ways. I had a Labrador bitch who didn't like water and had no interest in retrieving. Her sire was the same . . . his owner says that when she walked the dogs out to the dam he'd piss on bushes while the others were out swimming and chasing whatever they could find to chase. Surprise surprise. Her pups don't like water and don't retrieve. Lovely head, bone, coat, etc. though.