Salmon Heads

huski

I gave the dogs a salmon head each tonight, I was very excited to be giving them some fish other than tinned sardines.

The dogs went wild for them but really struggled to eat much of the salmon. They still had the spine on, they were huge:

IMG_1276.jpg

Both dogs at the spine, daisy couldn't manage to eat any more which is really unusual for her. I think she found it too tough and just couldn't work out how to eat it. Micha ate the fins and some of the inside, but left most of the head.

I cut a smaller piece off for Daisy and she was really eager to eat it but couldn't manage it. When I took it off her she followed me around while I was holding it, so it wasn't that she was uninterested.

Is there any other kind of fish I can give them that's good for them, cheap and easier for them to eat?

IMG_1276.jpg

:cry: ..... when my 'time' is up and I come back as my dog (which is what I would want .... such an good life even if I do say so myself :)), I wonder if I can request a completely different cuisine. I hope so. I know the dogs love it, but meat is so gross.

I sometimes buy whole sardines - around $5 per kilo. Tthey're about 6 inches long - get around 10 in a kg. The greys get 2 or 3 each with other stuff for a meal, so a kg will last two meals (2 weeks).

annieK

Thanks for the tip annieK, I haven't seen them at any of the fish places near me but I will definitely ask next time I am there!

My dogs love salmon more than just about anything. Try frying a little of the skin and giving them that first. Mmmm greasy salmony goodness.

Greytmate, I don't think it was that they didn't like it, but that they really struggled to eat it. I found it hard to cut through the skin even with my cleaver. I don't know if it was because the head is usually tough, or that it felt different to the meat the dogs normally eat and that was off putting for them. Daisy tried really hard to eat hers but just couldn't manage it.

:) ..... when my 'time' is up and I come back as my dog (which is what I would want .... such an good life even if I do say so myself :cry:), I wonder if I can request a completely different cuisine. I hope so. I know the dogs love it, but meat is so gross.

It wasn't too bad except for the slimy-ness! Raw meat doesn't normally bother me, but this was probably the most off putting of the meat I have given them.... especially when I tried to cut it into smaller bits with the cleaver, it is so tough and slimy and gross :cry:

Is there any other kind of fish I can give them that's good for them, cheap and easier for them to eat?

Tinned mackerel. You usually have to look on the very top or very bottom shelf, but it's cheap and contains lots of good stuff (and no chewy heads).

I have been told about tinned mackeral!! My local Woolies doesn't appear to stock it, but I have seen one tin at Coles. They either must put it in a really tricky place to find or it is just that unpopular that they don't stock it. I would love to try it as something different to tinned sardines.

I will look for the mackeral and the fresh sardines next time I am at the shopping centre!

I have been told about tinned mackeral!! My local Woolies doesn't appear to stock it, but I have seen one tin at Coles. They either must put it in a really tricky place to find or it is just that unpopular that they don't stock it. I would love to try it as something different to tinned sardines.

I will look for the mackeral and the fresh sardines next time I am at the shopping centre!

I get it from Franklins. The brand stocked by Woollies here in Yass is nastier than the one in Franklins - smellier and just not as nice. I think Coles and Woollies are both reducing their lines in a lot of areas, so maybe if you live near an independent supermarket that does a lot continental lines you'll find the mackerel. Good luck!

I go to the fish section of markets and look for whole fish of the right size. I go by price too - I don't like to spend more than $5/kg. If I haven't bought the fish before, I ask if it has any spines or venom or anything that might not be so good for my dog. Fresh sardines are great, and are bigger than canned sardines. I think at the moment I have whiting in the freezer.

Jake got his first salmon head last week and loved it, but he is great at pulverising whatever I give to him. The next salmon head has a long spine and I was wondering if it'd be safe to feed to him, but I guess it'll be fine :cool:

I buy salmon heads, salmon pieces or whole rainbow trouts when I can get them. I usually feed raw fish once a week.

Don't worry about the bones...fish bones are generally very soft and pliable...if your dog is a raw bone eater, then they'll have no problems eating whole fish (bones and all).

If I could get hold of mackerel or whiting (fresh not canned) I would buy those too. Generally, any fish is fine, but those higher in Omega 3's are the best.

Salmon heads are for real dogs only :happydance2: you know the large gutsy ones that have real jaw power :happydance2: like my Labs for example :happydance: when I introduced these to my boys it was a scream watching them tackle them. Fitzy, no problem, as he just loves chomping on bones and has a real strong jaw so knew he would have no problems with a salmon head and he didn't. Thomas, who isn't allowed animal bones due to a gastropexy, took to the salmon heads with relish and was so good to see him lying down chomping away for ages on this salmon head, took twice as long as Fitzy to eat but he loved it. Tournie didn't quite know what to do with it and had a nibble here and there and kept rushing up to the door and giving me that look, mum how am I meant to eat this :happydance: I ended up having to cut his up with a cleaver, more like hammer it as it was bloody tough to try and cut through. He didn't finish his off completely, so gave the scraps to the other two, but now he tackles the salmon heads no problems, must to the others disgust, as he doesn't leave them any scraps now :cheer: .

I give my boys either salmon heads, whole sardines or whiting or any other small fish that is reasonably priced once a week also.

The following links give you information about feeding salmon to dogs. Salmon Poisoning Disease

Is cooked salmon good for dogs?

Yes - thats from salmon from the Pacific Northwest of the USA

The salmon we get here is fine

Exactly. It amazes me that people quote/link to articles that are not applicable in Australia and end up scaring dog owners unnecessarily.

The following links give you information about feeding salmon to dogs. Salmon Poisoning Disease

Is cooked salmon good for dogs?

Yes - thats from salmon from the Pacific Northwest of the USA

The salmon we get here is fine

Phew - that's what I thought when I read the article (that it was the US and not related to our salmon) but it's good to have confirmation :swear: