Want To Spend My Money?

kja

Canon 5D Mark II ... get set... go?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy this camera body now?

• yes, just do it. the price rise alone makes it a good buy
    • yes, just do it. who cares why, you want it
    • yes, I think it is essential to your business
    • no, it won't enhance your business enough to justify it
    • no, you don't need it.
    • no, you're having trouble deciding because it's not right
    • yes, and while you're at it, spring for the 135 too :)

I'm tossing up whether or not to add a Canon 5D II to my lineup.

Why? I dunno, I'm intrigued with it, I guess. I love it's high ISO/low light abilities. I have no particular burning interest in full frame per se. It's just a tool to me.

Do I *need* one? Not really. Would it make some things easier? Sure it would and I would use what it has to offer. Will my photography suck without it? Probably no more than my photography sucks now :cool:

I have the cash, but it means I wouldn't be able to spend it on something else should it catch my eye down the line. I can't see that I need to add any lenses right now (OK, the 135 f2.0 is really calling my name ... especially if I get the FF camera). Canon's prices are going up in Australia come early March - prepare for a 10-30% increase across the dslr line - so if I'm going to do it, now kinda makes sense from a strict dollar point of view.

So why the wishy washiness? probably because I know I don't need it. I'll be tempted to then try to find another 5Gs to buy the underwater housing for it LOL I don't know if I'll have enough "business" this year to fully justify the cost and I don't think it will actually add it's value to my business ... I do just fine with my current set up, I believe.

Sigh, I don't know ... to pull the trigger or not. So jump in with anything that springs to mind...anything at all. I want to hear.

Don't ask me, I run my equipment into the ground and then buy something when I NEED it.

None of my equipment gathers dust, or if it is I sell it :cool:

Is there any way you could rent the body and just see how you feel about it?

You know my theory on the matter. If you want it and can afford it, just get it. No need to justify it to anyone else. Hell, I've even been thinking about getting one myself :cool:

EFS

Edited by ruthless

I haven't voted.

We are going through the same dilemma here. We need another camera for the business and trying to work out if we wait a little bit and get the 5D mark II (and fight over who gets to use it) or supplement our kit with another 40D which we are more than happy with and we could get now.

5d means you can shoot in ridiculously low light, but if light hasn't been a problem in the past then why do you suddenly need a camera to combat it now?

Then there is the film capability which is awesome, but how often would you really use it? I know many places are doing fusion but is this a path you want to take?

and then I could go on.

I haven't voted. I'm a fence sitter like you. :happydance2:

I voted for no. 2. Last week I bought myself a Sigma 10-20. I haven't used it and won't until next month, I have wanted it for ages as my 17-70 isn't wide enough for some photos. It's purely for pleasure and it now completes my 'kit' - that's it for me. Of course I felt guilty and tried to justify the expense to myself - even though I haggled with the store downstairs and got a net price I printed out matched by them, so I got it at a really good price. Feeling even more guilty about it, I texted rugerfly on the way home and she texted me back and made me feel better about my purchase. It's good when other people can justify your expense. :happydance2: Now I just think Kevin Rudd has paid for that lens. :happydance2:

You'll love the 10-20! I had it and adored it, now have the Canon 10-22 because the Sigma swam with the fishes and insurance covered the changeover. It's an awesome range (I also have the Tokina 11-16 2.8) - so much fun and way more versatile than one imagines at first!

Edited by kja

KJA. Here goes.

Im in your boat, but not if you know what I mean. Im not a professional photographer but I take photos for a living :happydance2: But it doesnt matter if they suck, as long as they turn out. As you know, I have had the D3 for some time. I will never ever ever use its full features for ages as I still dont know how to use them all. The D3 IS the ants pants of photography appart from the new D3X. I can tell you, the low light stuff BLOWS MY MIND its that good. I LOVE THE SHUTTER SPEED. would i spend the money if it wasnt bought for me? No.

I bought a D300 (DX) for my own personal use which is not full frame and is now the third model from the top, under the new D700 (FX).

I wanted it as I couldnt possibly use anything less after having had the D3. Now I kinda wished i'd saved the money and just got a D90.

Unless you have the cash to throw away or REALLY need the features, I wouldnt but only you will know this? for me its now a money thing due to all of Rugers expensive surgury, and im not really financial.

Roogs.

I wanted it as I couldnt possibly use anything less after having had the D3. Now I kinda wished i'd saved the money and just got a D90.

Rugers are you not happy with your D300? I thought the D90 would be heaps cheaper then saving for the D300. :swear: