Sit Stay Problem

Rubystar I will be at K9 next Monday so you can come and do a sit stay with my crew :D

****OK CHALLANGE TIME FOR EVERYBODY******

The aim is to sit how good our 1 minute sit stays really are when we change the picture.

Leave your dog in a sit stay

Walk away 10 steps about turn and sit on the ground.

After 50 seconds get up and return to your dog.

Let us know how you get on.......

Edited by Ptolomy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Ptolomy - can try that one tonight but I will say I am pretty impressed my two managed to hold a sit stay while the garbage truck was coming up the street. Behind the front fence but usually they bark and fence run. I went out got them to sit and they both held a sit while it picked up garbage from across the road and then went up the street. I released then both and they willingly followed me inside for their reward :) . I did give them a few verbal reminder cues while the truck was there but pretty impressive to me. Even Kenzie did it and we haven't really built that length duration on a stay :D .

Rubystar I will be at K9 next Monday so you can come and do a sit stay with my crew :D

The aim is to sit how good our 1 minute sit stays really are when we change the picture.

I looove your challenges and will try this one later. I have a prediction for my dogs - one will stay put (she's lazy and doesn't like moving), the other we are still working on building duration/distance, so I am almost certain that he would break on this.

Any chance you want to start a thread and post weekly challenges for everyone.... pleeeaase? I think it would make everyone really think about their training & proofing.

Rubystar I will be at K9 next Monday so you can come and do a sit stay with my crew :thumbsup:

Heheheh

Justs did it with Xena on her own and considering I dont train her at home she hates it she did it with no problems and that included have my 18 month old sitting on my lap we did 2 minutes and she stayed. I than did it with young Gabby and she did it with having Xena sitting in my lap. I havent done it with the border collie as she lives with my mum so when I see her I shall try it. My dogs know it but still can break there sit stay. Actually Xena is very good she very rarely breaks it its the border collie. and she had been doing it for 5 years brillliantly and has only just started to break now. She has been to the vets and been to a neuro skeletal dynamic person as well and everything is fine. They just know in the ring nothing can be done like in training. Too smart for there own good I say :rofl:

Rubystar I will be at K9 next Monday so you can come and do a sit stay with my crew :thumbsup:

Excellent, that would be great, thanks :rofl: I'll speak to you later in the week to see what time you're getting there. I did a ring runthrough last night with no treats (though she knew I had them) and without looking at her like I would in training, and just used the occasional "gooood girl" and she did so much better than Sat night :( It's the nerves I guess! I was doing everything possible to not poop myself literally!! :love:

I love your challenges, too, so I'd be up for some more challenges threads :rofl: I'll try the sit stay tonight.

You need to borrow my cat for real challenges!! The tail twirling around puppy dog's nose is a good distraction. The cat going and eating the puppy's jackpot treats was a major challenge :thumbsup::rofl: The look on Poppy's face was priceless!

Now, this is what you want to test a sit stay!! Rogan only moved when he was physically no longer capable of holding the sit!! Although I'd never go to that length on purpose to proof a stay, I was impressed :thumbsup:

1352751230_a6de3a9825.jpg

Edited by FHRP

Guest PixieOfWrath
Another question - if you fail the ring work would you still do the stays - and whats your reasoning?

Holly failed after moving on the SFE. We were asked to do the stays by the Judge to make up numbers, so we did, and she did them perfectly.

Does anyone proof their stays in training to include getting another dog right in their face? How do I go about this?

Yes, I do. I started by standing right in front of her shovelling food into her face and eventually backed off. She will now hold a sit or a down even with a GSD puppy chewing on her head and ears :thumbsup:

Does anyone proof their stays in training to include getting another dog right in their face? How do I go about this?

No, and I'm not sure I would want to. To me, it is all well and good when you know the other dog, but in the ring, it is going to be very likely that I don't know the other dogs - they might be friendly and want to say "hello", or they might be spoiling for a fight. If my dog is in a down-stay and another dog is in its face, I don't think I would expect (or want) my dog to hold the down-stay as it is in a very vunerable position. For me, this would be the one time I would WANT my dog to break the stay... and return to me. Now, my question (sorry RubyStar) is does anyone train for this???

You make a very good point, squeak, one that I hadn't thought of. I think it has pros and cons, though I think the majority of dogs in the ring would be coming up for a "friendly chat" rather than picking a fight as I'm sure owners of dog aggressive dogs would be extra careful with putting their dogs in this situation up against other dogs. I could be wrong, though :thumbsup: I'd be very interested to hear what the more experienced triallers think/do in this situation. I would like to think that if your dog is holding it's stay and another dog comes up to it if the judge or steward hasn't had a chance to grab the dog before it interferes, that you could attempt your stays again. But I know nothing :rofl:

I would also be very interested in hearing from more experienced triallers on this. I guess that my feeling is clouded (for want of a better word) from what I have seen at trials that I have watched... that is that it initially appears to be a "friendly chat" but often suddenly turns nasty. I cannot not help but think that this might have something to do with the dog maintaining the stay not being able to use "normal" doggy language to diffuse the situation - it feels vunerable, so tells the other dog off by growling/snarling and it escalates from there.

Then again, I have also seen a dog fight outside of the ring. Dog was tethered next to its owner and relaxing. Another dog and its owner walked through its "territory" and the fight began. It was a good lesson for me to never assume that dogs at trials are "safe", just because they are well-trained.

If it happened in an in sight stay and another dog even so much as approached one of my dogs with ill intentions I would back to them quick smart never mind what the judge or stewards says. Not worth the risk. Either that or I would call my dog to me. Harder when its an out of sight stay and you can't see the dog but I would be hoping in that instance that there would be enough people around outside who might step in and ensure the dog was safe.

I would like to think that if your dog is holding it's stay and another dog comes up to it if the judge or steward hasn't had a chance to grab the dog before it interferes, that you could attempt your stays again. But I know nothing :thumbsup:

I believe that this is entirely up to the judge. Last trial I watched, dog from another ring interferred with a dog in a down-stay (which broke). Judge allowed the team to redo the stays as part of the next group, but I was told that there was no obligation for the judge to do this.

If it happened in an in sight stay and another dog even so much as approached one of my dogs with ill intentions I would back to them quick smart never mind what the judge or stewards says. Not worth the risk. Either that or I would call my dog to me. Harder when its an out of sight stay and you can't see the dog but I would be hoping in that instance that there would be enough people around outside who might step in and ensure the dog was safe.

Yes, me too Ness - I wouldn't even think twice :thumbsup:

Possible aggressions issues aside - ness/spotted devil, do you guys train your stays with walking another dog in close proximity of your dog in the stay to ensure they don't break if another dog breaks and approaches them? Or you don't train for this but then approach the situation if it arises with your best judgment at the time? I hope I'm making sense.

Hmmm I can't remember what I did with Ness and Kenzie really isn't at that point yet. I don't remember specifically training with other dogs walking in close proximity but then neither of my girls are really that dog focussed. I remember in the deep distant past another dog breaking and Ness getting up and joining them in a chase this was back in the very early days of training. I don't remember making a big deal about it and it only happened the once.

A friend and I did set the older 2 up to work on stays and left Kenzie as a youngster chasing the birds but not something I do very often and Ness is pretty rock solid anyway.

I've left Brock in a drop stay in the middle of the arena, gone off inside to put equipment back and come out to dogs running in circles around him! So he has a pretty good stay. He has also had equipment nearly dropped on him because he has been in a stay in the way!

Poppy does not like dogs in her face and I can see her lunging at a dog if it came to sniff her. Will have to do some work on that.