Obedience Comps

Yes, but dogs become collar smart very quickly - it's much easier to teach the dog it only has to behave with the collar on than it is to train the dog properly.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of those who use chains on their dogs couldn't perform the obedience excersizes very well if they were forced to take the chain off and throw a flat on.

Actually I think the rule for having a collar on when trialling is due to safety more than anything. If a dog gets a fright or for some reason does a bolt as I have seen happen (very wet day, handler slipped fell almost on top of the dog who panicked and bolted) then it's much harder to grab the dog if it's collarless. It doesn't happen often but it does happen and especially given the proximity to roads at some venues there is always a chance the dog could get on to the road at least if they have a collar on there's something to get hold of if this happens. There's also the issue of dogs breaking out of stays especially out of sight stays where a judge or steward may need to hang on to a dog. Never mind the problems that might occur if say a dog fight broke out during the stays and the dogs where all nude. While none of those things might happen they could, better to have something way to control a dog if need be than none.

Also you don't have to use a check and I as do others often train our dogs nude.

I think many people would agree with you midol, I think most people that use them in a trial just do so either out of habit, or because its just what they wear when they are normally out and about.

I personally have never known anyone to use one in a trial because they thought it would make a difference to their chances.

I think that the reason that they have allowed them is because the majority of clubs in the past have always trained their dogs in them, and also the extra control if things go belly up, as others have said.