Colder Nights

APBT

my girl is inside with the family all the time were home, and at night she is fine to sleep in here house outside,

here in sydney the nights are getting colder and i put her outside and she kept barking, i think becasue of the cold.

would it be ok to let her sleep in my bed when the nights are cold? or would that be sending mixed messages about where to sleep.

or should i just ignore her untill she finally goes to sleep outside?

her kennel is warm and full of blankets and a door i made so its keeps the wind out and the heat in

If you are happy for her to sleep on your bed, let her. She will expect to sleep there all her life. Of you could give her a bed of her own in your room

A couple of mine sleep on the bed. I don't have a problem. Very handy footwarmers in winter.

If she sleeps outside, she may need a dog coat at night, if she is an APBt - very short hair

Edited by Jed

Mine sleep where ever I put them.

Cooper always sleeps on the bed with me the the 2 young ones in their crates in the spare room, however in the last month they have all been on the bed, or the couch :laugh:

If I put them all in crates tonight I dont get any complaints even after being out for a while !

If you are worried about her wanting to always sleep on the bed get her a crate and put her in that of a night in your room or at least inside :laugh:

Edited by BC

Mine has her own bed in my room. but sometimes she will get out of her bed and just sleep on the carpet. Doesn't really worry me wherever she sleep as long as she stays out of my bed.

My two GSd,s have there own beds in my room and that works well for us. My sister and Hubbie went and got a king size bed for themselves so their two Cavaliers and two cats can all fit, plus a set of steps made so the dogs can climb up!

Mine has her own bed in my room. but sometimes she will get out of her bed and just sleep on the carpet. Doesn't really worry me wherever she sleep as long as she stays out of my bed.

My two GSd,s have there own beds in my room and that works well for us. My sister and Hubbie went and got a king size bed for themselves so their two Cavaliers and two cats can all fit, plus a set of steps made so the dogs can climb up!

The reason I hate letting her sleeping on my bed is that she likes licking myface to wake me up! and they are not gentle licks, she licks me like I am her food bowl with chicken necks in there! I hate waking up to dog saliva on my face, though I love her to bits!

I actually do the opposite - on cold nights Ziggy is snuggled in his open crate in the laundry....thick D1000 bed plus a blanket, with a sheet/blanket draped over the top. In Summer, I set up his soft crate next to my bed as the laundry gets too hot and our room will get the air-con if it's on. There's usually a slight bit of confusion as the seasons change - he waits expectantly in the wrong crate for his biscuit-filled Kong, but he adapts very well :birthday:

No dogs on beds here.......that's a privilege reserved for the cats :birthday:

If you're worried about her, you could just get her a lovely warm jacket for the night time. My sister's dog is a Ridgeback and he has a lovely kennel, filled with blankets and a warm jacket to wear. They are in Canberra, which is a lot colder than Sydney and he's always happy.

Edited by poochmad

No dogs on beds here.......that's a privilege reserved for the cats :laugh:

That's the same at our place. I would love for Tilba to sleep on the bed, but once started........! I don't think it's fair to change what's been started. Some dogs can become overprotective of their main caregiver & growl at an interloper. :rofl:

I would get her a crate, leave the door open & put it in another room that can be hers alone.

Sooty used to sleep outside in a kennel when she was younger & I made her some coats for the winter.

Edited by luvsdogs