Barf Feeders

Pailin

I apologise in advance if this has already been done but I have searched and cannot find anything relevant...

Just wondering how much putting together a Barf diet costs you a week/fortnight/month (whichever you can figure it by)? I am moreso interested in those that do their own diets not the pre-purchased barf patty things.

Also where do you purchase the majority of your meat/bones? Supermarket, butcher, pet related store etc

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologise in advance if this has already been done but I have searched and cannot find anything relevant...

Just wondering how much putting together a Barf diet costs you a week/fortnight/month (whichever you can figure it by)? I am moreso interested in those that do their own diets not the pre-purchased barf patty things.

Also where do you purchase the majority of your meat/bones? Supermarket, butcher, pet related store etc

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

This might help Pailin :laugh:http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=156406

I tend to buy my meat from supermarkets or butchers in my area.

Foodland for chicken carcasses and necks. Woolworths for lamb flaps and offcuts. Local butcher for bags of assorted larger bones.

I spend roughly $10-25 a week, depending what I buy and what I get on special.

Generally the veggies my dogs get are leftovers or scraps from human food prep.

Edited by Ravyk

Costs me APPROXIMATELY $25 a week to feed two giant breeds. Some weeks that figure is less, some weeks it is slightly more. It depends what I can find on special at the time.

I buy chicken carcasses from a local fresh chicken shop - Kim's Gourmet Poultry is the name. I also buy chicken livers and hearts there. I have found their carcasses to be a million times better than those you get at Lenard's, because they still have some organs attached and they are a hell of a lot bigger and meatier, while still being dirt cheap. I'll personally never buy from Lenard's again now that I've found these guys, BUT having said that many people do get their frames and mince from Lenard's and there is nothing wrong with them.

My butcher sells bags of meaty bones suitable for dogs for $1.00 a bag. They also sell "budget mince" which is human grade (I don't feed pet grade mince) but contains offal. I also buy anything on special at supermarkets - offal is often marked down to clear. My local Woolworths sells brisket bones too which are great. Any large pieces of meat (roasts/steaks etc) that I can get I also snap up.

About $25 worth of vegies/fruit per month, a $5 tub of yoghurt a week, occasionally offal//tin of sardines plus ACV, vitamin E tablet and some linseed oil.

Plus a meaty bone per day, I end up paying for more bones than I'd like because I want meaty bones, not the fatty crap you pay $3 a kg for from Safeway. :love: Bones work out to be about $1/day for one dog, which is mostly roo tail.

I have to be careful to keep my dog lean, I have to be very strict with her diet as she gains weight on the smell of an oily rag. :laugh: Also being rural limits my cheaper options.

Maybe around the $10 mark for my one 19kg dog. I'm not entirely sure as I make the veggie mix up in bulk once a month or so and feed that a few times a week. Normally I'd spend maybe $5-$6 a week on chicken frames & brisket bones but I do give lamb flaps occasionally which cost more plus there's the extra things I'll add such as cod liver oil, sardines, offal every so often, eggs etc.

So I have a question for all you BARF Feeders.

Tonight I fed Asher and Nooki Chicken Wings.

At one point when Asher was inhaling a wing, I had a disgusting feeling come over me because I thought he might have got it stuck in his throat.

I raced to his side, knelt down and could see that it was not stuck, he was simply chewing :confused:

Feel free to laugh at me.... im a first time Raw Meat and Bone feeder. Have given them bones to chew on before, but nothing along this line.

I want to feed them more fresh meats and bones in the future.

Has anyone ever had their dog get bones stuck in its throat?

What did you do in the heat of the moment?

What Raw meat and bones would you recommend for me?

Is anything I can buy at the supermarket ok or is there anything I should be steering clear of?

Any advice to a newb would be appreciated.

At one point when Asher was inhaling a wing, I had a disgusting feeling come over me because I thought he might have got it stuck in his throat.

I raced to his side, knelt down and could see that it was not stuck, he was simply chewing :confused:

Feel free to laugh at me.... im a first time Raw Meat and Bone feeder. Have given them bones to chew on before, but nothing along this line.

I want to feed them more fresh meats and bones in the future.

Is anything I can buy at the supermarket ok or is there anything I should be steering clear of?

Ummmm.

With Huskies I'd try and not feed too many wings unless you're certain they chew them. Mine do chew them so I am fine with feeding them. My male husky gets two and the girl gets three (and that's their food for an entire day).

Do you have trouble keeping weight either on or off?

I am about to shift to Kangaroo with both the sibes as their food intake is ridiculously low yet they still keep gaining weight.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, IGA has decent Kangaroo & Roo tail. $4/kg for the roo and the same for the tails.

I also go to a butcher who I get bulk quantities of beef + chicken pet mince for the shepherd @ $1.00/kg and I get my wings there for $2/kg, human grade mince for $4/kg (but I'm moving from this to kangaroo) and chicken frames vary - usually free as I buy a shitload at a time.

They also give me fish heads for free or very cheap depending who is on.

ETA: Huskies have uber low metabolisms so if you switch to 100% barf then you'll only be feeding about 250-400grams TOTAL each day to start with imo :cry: I feed 180 & 250 to the two sibes.

Edited by Just Midol

I spend about $35 for two months worth of veggies & fruit slops that I make up.

About $16 on chicken necks that last two months or so.

About $5 a month on bones.

About $5 a month on offal.

About $3.50 a month on sardines.

About $5 a month on kangaroo mince.

About $10 a month on othe meat.

So all up cost about $53.50 a month to feed two pugs.

Edited by puggy_puggy

My dog has choked on a turkey drumstick before,normally he just throws it up and eats it again,but this time it got caught in his throut.He had what looked like a seizure,his whole body went stiff and he started foaming at the mouth.I had to pry his jaws apart and stick my hand down his throut.I pulled an absolutely HUGE chunk of turkey meat out.We were both shaking for about 10 minutes after the incident and it cost me my right thumb nail.

My dog has choked on a turkey drumstick before,normally he just throws it up and eats it again,but this time it got caught in his throut.He had what looked like a seizure,his whole body went stiff and he started foaming at the mouth.I had to pry his jaws apart and stick my hand down his throut.I pulled an absolutely HUGE chunk of turkey meat out.We were both shaking for about 10 minutes after the incident and it cost me my right thumb nail.

O...M...G... :confused: I knew I'd hear a horror story!!

That must have been terrible Jamie!! I feel the terror just reading your story.

This is definitely my biggest fear.

Ummmm.

With Huskies I'd try and not feed too many wings unless you're certain they chew them. Mine do chew them so I am fine with feeding them. My male husky gets two and the girl gets three (and that's their food for an entire day).

Do you have trouble keeping weight either on or off?

I am about to shift to Kangaroo with both the sibes as their food intake is ridiculously low yet they still keep gaining weight.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, IGA has decent Kangaroo & Roo tail. $4/kg for the roo and the same for the tails.

I also go to a butcher who I get bulk quantities of beef + chicken pet mince for the shepherd @ $1.00/kg and I get my wings there for $2/kg, human grade mince for $4/kg (but I'm moving from this to kangaroo) and chicken frames vary - usually free as I buy a shitload at a time.

They also give me fish heads for free or very cheap depending who is on.

ETA: Huskies have uber low metabolisms so if you switch to 100% barf then you'll only be feeding about 250-400grams TOTAL each day to start with imo :confused: I feed 180 & 250 to the two sibes.

What does the Roo do in regards to their metabolic rate Midol? What makes it a better meat/bone option to feed.

Would you be feeding the tail as part of their food or as a snack? Is the tail meaty?

Again sorry for all the questions.... I just love that you guys all have the answers!

I will be going to he butcher on Monday so I will check out what they can do for me in the way of Chicken Frames and fish heads.

Thanks for all the advice and info Midol!!! :laugh:

"""""Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, IGA has decent Kangaroo & Roo tail. $4/kg for the roo and the same for the tails. """"""

Don't want to sound negative but our neighbour use to buy Roo for her cat from IGA (also this was about 2 to 3 years ago) and the cat kept getting very sick, almost to the point of being PTS. Kidneys and Liver where in a bad way. She was bleeding from the mouth and just looked awful. Turns out it was the Roo which contained Perservatives and other nasties. Cat came off the roo meat and gained an extra life!!!!

Just be careful what you are buying. Your good intentions could be costly.

PS: feed our Greyhound Merlin:

Breakfast: 2 x Soup bones - less fat content more meaty approx $4 to $5 per week

Dinner: Big Dog Mince approx 500g at $2.00 per serve

1 and cups of Hills at $1 per day

So $20 to $25 per week

I refuse to feed wings, the shape just looks like something that could get wedged in the throat.

I am a bit precious with my two girls though!

huskyheaven, I have been feeding my Sibe chicken wings since he was a pup (so for more than 6 years) and I've never had a problem, he chews them before eating :love: In fact I gave him a couple tonight with some sardines and he really enjoys them :laugh:

Edited by huski