Goats Milk.

Andisa

I mentioned in another thread that I am givng my pups goats milk, and it has helped with increasing their appetite. I was asked what are the health benefits of goats milk.

So in a nutshell I don't have the right answers so instead of bluffing my way half cocked and no real idea thought it best to start a new thread on Goats Milk.

So appart from being very good for allergies and calcium - why is goats milk so good???

I know many others here use it too - so come on I need help in answering this question... :rainbowbridge:

Lisa.

The fat globules in goats milk are much smaller than cows milk which makes it much more easily digested, and less likely to cause stomach upset. I used goats milk for all my pups.

The healthiest shiniest looking dogs and foals I have ever seen lived at a goat dairy and drank large quantities of fresh warm goats milk every day.

I am currently handraising some Shar Pei pups on a Goats Milk Formula I was given of 250ml goats milk, 1 egg yolk, 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1 teaspoon honey and pentavite

They went straight from Mum onto this after trying Biolac and Wombaroo which they refused

They are now 4 weeks, so been on this for 1.5 weeks

We watered down 3/4 milk to 1/4 water then reduced the water amount

But none have had problems other than some Corona but that is due to the pound not the milk

I will always use goats milk now, it is closer to a bitches milk

I was told they only need about a cup morning and night with yogurt and what ever else you want to add to it. (big dogs - less for small)

Mine enjoy it heaps so give it to them 2 or 3 times a day - not measuring just pouring in a bowl. They love it.

Even the adults can't get enough of it.

Erny - not sure, but when I started giving it to them again I just poured it in a bowl - nothing else added just goats milk, maybe just give small amounts at first and gradually increase it.

Good luck and I hope all goes well at the vet. ;)

Lisa.

APBT : my Rottie pups are about 20 weeks and have only been back on it again for the past couple of weeks, they went off milk for a few weeks but decided they want it again. I guess they need it more now than they did earlier - who know. They stayed on their mum until 10 weeks as it was so they did alright.

ETA: actually I was also giving them other milk powder they went off that and thought they didn't want milk anymore, I was told to put them back on the goats milk so I did. They love it.

Edited by Andisa

If you were introducing this to a young dog (ie 9mo) for the first time, would it be better to initially give in a small amount and watered down?

Erny start with a cup of milk, most dogs take to it with ease.

I have adult Rottweilers as well as puppies who all get goats milk. Our pups are all raised with goats milk as part of the diet. I also recommend you use it throughout your dogs life.

A good meal to give is goats milk, a couple of tablespoons of yoghurt, add an egg or two (with the shell crushed up), mix it all up and serve. I also add other supplements if I use it as a main meal.

Also very good to give bitch's in whelp as well as lactating canine mums.

If you can get fresh that is great but if not, then you can find in Safeway (Pauls brand) in the milk fridge (not all carry it) as well as getting the UHT located in the long life milk section.

A very special lady who was our local supplier died in the recent fires trying to save her beloved goats (RIP Rae, I dearly miss our chats)..... I will now have to get it from another Dairy Goat farmer who is located near Druion (sp?) who was good friends with Rae and I believe has some of her goats.

A very special lady who was our local supplier died in the recent fires trying to save her beloved goats (RIP Rae, I dearly miss our chats)..... I will now have to get it from another Dairy Goat farmer who is located near Druion (sp?) who was good friends with Rae and I believe has some of her goats.

Stolzseinrotts, I heard about your goat lady, so sad, don't know what to say when so many have suffered through the fires. The lady in Drouin is the same lady that I go to, Tracy put me on to her before the pups were born, she is lovely too. I just got 60 ltrs from her on the weekend, she must supply a lot of breeders, she will look after you. ;)

Good luck and I hope all goes well at the vet. :D

I'm STILL waiting for a poop to happen. I'm sure he's holding out on me just 'cause I want it so much ;)

Thanks Andisa and Stolzseinrotts for the responses. Will do as suggested and give small amount until I can be sure it won't be upsetting anything. I'll let you know how it goes :).

Good luck and I hope all goes well at the vet. :)

I'm STILL waiting for a poop to happen. I'm sure he's holding out on me just 'cause I want it so much :)

Thanks Andisa and Stolzseinrotts for the responses. Will do as suggested and give small amount until I can be sure it won't be upsetting anything. I'll let you know how it goes :p.

;) poor boy - the pressure is on so he must have decided to keep you waiting. Oh lordy there is no shortage of that around here. :)

I know many have trained their dogs to pee in a pan on que for testing - not sure how to can encourage them to poop on comand. However it would make the task some what easier to collect it. :D

:p poor boy - the pressure is on so he must have decided to keep you waiting. Oh lordy there is no shortage of that around here. ;)

I know many have trained their dogs to pee in a pan on que for testing - not sure how to can encourage them to poop on comand. However it would make the task some what easier to collect it. :)

If there's one to be had, with a bit of persistance from me, he normally will do a poop on command (after he's pee'd, then he realises I want more! :p). But it's ok ..... he's just done one :o. Have collected the samples and if the tradesperson I've been expecting for the last 2.5 hours will just arrive (20 minutes away, he says after I've rung twice and left messages .... a phone call from him would have been nice - I have some dogs I need to go work and haven't been able to leave due to expecting him at 11am) I'll whip the samples to the Vets.

Edited by Erny

;) poor boy - the pressure is on so he must have decided to keep you waiting. Oh lordy there is no shortage of that around here. :rofl:

I know many have trained their dogs to pee in a pan on que for testing - not sure how to can encourage them to poop on comand. However it would make the task some what easier to collect it. :laugh:

If there's one to be had, with a bit of persistance from me, he normally will do a poop on command (after he's pee'd, then he realises I want more! :laugh:). But it's ok ..... he's just done one :o. Have collected the samples and if the tradesperson I've been expecting for the last 2.5 hours will just arrive (20 minutes away, he says after I've rung twice and left messages .... a phone call from him would have been nice - I have some dogs I need to go work and haven't been able to leave due to expecting him at 11am) I'll whip the samples to the Vets.

:p :) :p well done...

sad when we get so excited over a poop.

After I post I thought that you would have mastered the "poop on command" should have known better. :o:laugh:

hopefully your tradie will get there soon so you can nick off to the vet. Good luck.

LOL .... yep, "gotta get a life" is something that goes through my head every time the biggest event in my life is a dog poop!! :o

Samples are at the Vet's. Should know results this coming Monday.

I'm going to thaw some goat's milk now and try him on a little of it. Also have some cottage cheese on stand-by.

ETA: :p ... sorry, didn't mean to turn this into another 'my dog's not well' thread. Should stick to my own that I have running. My mistake :).

Edited by Erny

LOL .... yep, "gotta get a life" is something that goes through my head every time the biggest event in my life is a dog poop!! :o

Samples are at the Vet's. Should know results this coming Monday.

I'm going to thaw some goat's milk now and try him on a little of it. Also have some cottage cheese on stand-by.

ETA: :p ... sorry, didn't mean to turn this into another 'my dog's not well' thread. Should stick to my own that I have running. My mistake :).

Don't be sorry. Glad to hear from others who feed goats milk and who have so much success with it.

Knew it was good - this confirms it.

Let me know if you need more - I have heaps. lol.