Incontinence In Bitches

Just wanting to see if anyone else has a bitch with incontinence issues and what treatments you are using and how effective they are.

Tina has been on Propalin for about 6 months and it was working for a while but now doesnt seem to be effective. It was just happening during the night when she was asleep but I noticed this afternoon that she is "dribbling" urine quite a bit.

Obviously we are going back to the vet to discuss the problem but just wondering if the Propalin is not working, is there something more effective?.

Has anyone had success with herbal therapies?

I'm going to get some nappies and try those to see if we can keep her clean and dry.

Has anyone had any success in finding bedding that can be easily washed and kept clean and dry. The problem with the bedding is that I will need to replace the lot and always have a spare on hand as they tend to play musical beds :laugh:

My guys are literally in the house whenever we are home and kicking her outside is not an option. So looking for ways to make her comfortable and to keep the smell at bay!

Edited by Winterpaws

Guest PixieOfWrath

Yes you can WP - a doler makes them. Search for "love my furbabies" or browse through the DOL banner ads and you'll find them :laugh:

Tried the nappy thing and found that they just fell off and you had to cut a hole for the tail.

Yep have seen doggy undies from the very small to the very large.

Otherwise do you sew? Pretty easy to make up a few pairs of undies so that you can wash them from time to time.

I can sew but would have no clue where to start to make something like that :laugh:

Currently struggling with my girl puggy, who is being very unhelpful in posing for photos in bitch undies.

Ok photos taken.

Basically the undies are made up of three parts. The main body part which you cut a hole for the tail and overlock/stich so it doesn't fray. And the two bits that you will use for ties at either end of the main part. Just make sure you make sure you make these long enough.

Stick a pad in there and hey presto.

post-22218-1237280273_thumb.jpg

Edited by puggy_puggy

Propalin does seem to loose effectiveness every 6 months, or when the bitch would have been in season, you can boost the effect by using Incurin tablets for a few weeks, then the propalin seems to work OK again. Or you can use the Incurin tablets instead.

Herbs - agrimony works, you can see a bit more at www.csjk9.com and look for 'Hold It' in the herbs section.

Car covers for seats or picnic blankets with a waterproof back can be used as covers to protect the bedding underneath and are easily washed.

I have a bed made by a company called Barka Parka. They are expensive, but my dog loves her bed, and it should last a dogs lifetime and beyond. If I remember correctly, they also have covers that can be made for incontinence problems, and are easily washed and dried. It depends on whether you want to spend that much though.

Our girl, Beanie, used to be incontinent (i.e. urinating while sleeping or resting). The onset was when she was between about 8 - 12 months old. Our vet put her on Stilboestrol (sp) for about 6 - 8 months on and off. She's now two and a half and seems to have either grown out of it or is much happier now that weve moved house as it hasn't happened since June last year (when we moved).'We were never sure of the cause - the vet thought it was early desexing at 8 weeks as she is a rescue i.e. lack of hormones, but he wasn't entirely sure.

However, in terms of bedding we started with those cheap picnic rugs with the plastic backing over the bedding (Cheap, cheap from $2 shops or lincraft/spotlight etc). Then when we washed them they didn't look too good :D (must remember to check water temp of washing machine). But then, we found waterproof cot and bassinette(sp) undersheets :( which fitted over the Xlarge dog beds and then we put a small polar fleece (winter) or cotton cover (summer) over the top which were easy to wash and the bed itself was fine.

As Beanie also snoozed on the human beds we also bought waterproof matress covers on queen size and put the odd picnic rug on top for her.

In terms of nappies - I didnt use them as I was afraid of uring burn/nappy rash. However, my sister has had success with childrens 'Pull-Ups' and simply cut a hole for the dogs tail.

A course of acupuncture may or may not be effective. It didn't work for one of my dogs, but neither did any homoeopathic or herbal remedies. I have, however, met two dogs who have been successfully treated for incontinence with acupuncture.

We had success with Sudafed tablets, although I dont remember the dosage. Our ridgie bitch was incontinent after spaying (a hormonal thing apparently), and our vet suggested sudafed which worked well. Im quite sure that after a while she wasnt incontinent anymore. Nothing to do with the sudafed Im sure, maybe just her body adjusting?

A "natural" remedy would be good though. Perhaps enquire about Chinese herbs if you have an alternatlve thinking vet.

Good luck with your girl

Rat

I have a bitch that is on Propalin and I don't find it to be 100% effective. I also tried Incurin and it wasn't always effective either. Every time I take her to the vets about this they want to do tests which have always been negative and cost a small fortune. I've just resigned myself to the fact that it will never be controlled as this has been ongoing now for a few years, so I'll be watching this thread with interest, too.

You all have me worried. Are all these dogs spayed? I'm having Tilba spayed on Monday & this is one of my concerns with the op. My last bitch April developed incontinence in later life. I found with her she was allergic to wheat, so she was unable to have kibble. Over the years she had a couple of courses of hormone tablets which worked & I had to make sure no one gave her biscuits or bread.

Yes luvsdogs, it can be brought on by spaying - a hormonal thing. Of all the females weve had, and theyve all been spayed, only one had incontinence. Funny, I didnt even think about it with my latest girl, til just now!

Perhaps ask your vet about the occurrence of it, whether its a very common thing??

Rat

One of our vets put a dog we adopted out onto the human pill. It worked pretty well.

My old girl is a little incontinent at night, but it is due to cystitis, it's not hormonal.

We use a plastic cloth with fleece on the back to protect the floor, and on top of that I use two foam kennel mats that I throw in the washing machine each morning. I have about 8 of them that I rotate. They soak up most of the urine, so it doesn't run everywhere.

One of our vets put a dog we adopted out onto the human pill. It worked pretty well.

My old girl is a little incontinent at night, but it is due to cystitis, it's not hormonal.

We use a plastic cloth with fleece on the back to protect the floor, and on top of that I use two foam kennel mats that I throw in the washing machine each morning. I have about 8 of them that I rotate. They soak up most of the urine, so it doesn't run everywhere.

Greymate I would be interested in knowing more about what mats you have that can be thrown in the machine?

luvsdogs - don;t stress too much honestly. My girl is 10 this year and it has only been happening for about the last 12 months. She was 7 when we rescued her from the pound