Barf Diet

Leenie

1. what do you feed? Raw meat - chicken mince/necks/carcasses beef mince/bones lamb bones/chops, fruit, vegies, egg, finely crushed egg shell, garlic, rolled oats.

2. how often? Once a day

3. how much? at least a kilo for Rocky (skinny Boxer) and about half that for our overweight dog.

4. what breed, age, sex and weight is your pet? Boxer/2.5/d/25kg Other/3.25/b/30ish

5. where do you purchase your ingredients from? Supermarket/Lenards/Butchers/Chook shed :D

6. have you always fed your dog this diet, or did you change over to it gradually? Nope. if yes, how did your dog react? We changed after the "other" dog. We bought her from a pet shop (hey we were all young and stupid once), and she had the worst diahorrea, because the shop told us to buy this ultra expensive rich food, which she reacted badly to. Took her to the vet, but worked out it was from the food. Changed to raw food after that.

7. what have been the advantages and disadvantages? Advantages - keep the weight on. firmer stools, more pure, know exactly what my dogs are eating (unless they catch a lizard etc), shinier coats, no fleas. Only disadvantage is it takes a while to prepare - my partner - "I wish you'd make me a meal once in a while." LOL

8. have you seen changes in your dog, ie. coat, energy levels? Coat VERY shiney from eggs, no fleas cos of garlic, extra calcium from finely crushed egg shells (pestle and mortar to crush). Boxer is mostly muscle, no fat, so needs more meat than other dog.

-WithEverythingIAM

1. what do you feed?

lamb necks, chicken frames, chichen mince, brisket bones, lamb hearts, mixed veg(frozen) occassional beef mince, porridge , buttermilk, yogurt, apples, pears, garlic, brewers yeast, brown rice, organic apple cider vinegar, lamb flaps with fat cut off ,dry food for rewards only Hills or supercoat 1 can mackeral or sardines per week, 1 egg each per week

2. how often?

twice day

Summer- morn- veg and rice or pasta, frozen veg mixed in with rice or pasta

evening- chicken frames, lamb neck or brisket bones

winter morn - chicken frames/ lamb neck/brisket bone/ mince

evening - porridge with buttermilk or yogurt made with green water from our veg the night before. (Porridge good for calming hyperactive dog) and vegetables

3. how much?

roughly 200gm mince plus veg and pasta/rice

1 frame or 1 neck

4. what breed, age, sex and weight is your pet?

Airedale terrier

female around 22 k 11 years

male around 25 k 10 years

5. where do you purchase your ingredients from?

Local chicken shop in bulk

meat wholesaler

supermarket

6. have you always fed your dog this diet, or did you change over to it gradually? if yes, how did your dog react?

Always fed this way

7. what have been the advantages and disadvantages?

advantages

no dog breath, very healthy only went to vet for yearly injections no other problems teeth very clean, healthy coats ,very active healthy happy dogs

easy to pick up dog poo

disadvantages

need to have a freezer for the dogs meat and time to bag up food once per month

8. have you seen changes in your dog, ie. coat, energy levels?

no

bommy - I have always given my dogs small amounts of avocado with no problems but have stopped altogether since my vet told me it was toxic to dogs.

Has anyone else heard this?

wow Jessami I didnt know that! my dogs love it they normally get about !/2 avocado each week.... but I think I'll stop that now...

thanks for the info

Jacqui

bommy - who know's if it's actually true but I reckon why risk it and you'd think a vet would know. I do feel a bit mean though not sharing my avocado any more 'cause they really do love it. Sometimes we just have to be cruel to be kind. :laugh:

Would still be interested to know if anybody else has been told that avocado is toxic for dogs.

Apologies for hijacking this topic...

A quick question...what type of yoghurt does everyone use? I have a staffy and although he loves his veges, fruit & meat, he will only eat the flavoured yoghurts - will not even look at plain...

Any suggestions?

Jodie

Isn't offul (spelling?) bad for dogs. I read somewhere not to give them offul unless it was so overcoocked that it was definitely dead??

STAFFYLUV: On the yoghurt question, I use Jalna. It comes in a few flavours its nice and creamy and the dogs really love it. :rofl: It's available in most supermarkets. I get mine at Whoolworths or Coles. It's a bit pricey but it comes in tubs and you don't need to use too much. :laugh:

Here's my info... do we get to see the fact sheet when you are done? Would be interested.

1. what do you feed?

Lambs necks, flaps, hearts and sometimes liver, but when I serve liver I cook it ever so slightly on the outside otherwise one of my dogs wont eat it. Turkey legs, chicken carcasses.

I also make a mince mix with either chicken or beef and vegies pulverised in a blender, sometimes I'll add an egg. To this mince mix I also add kelp powder and cod liver oil. Sometimes they'll also get some tined sardines or mackerel. One of my dogs will eat raw fish heads which are really cheap. I'll also give them bones. Veal bones are great because they get a good chew but they are also soft enough to eat. I don't feed the big marrow bones. Oh, and sometimes some supercoat because they love it and sometimes I get lazy

2. how often?

Twice a day for my dog who is almost a year old, she'll go to once a day after she's one. The other gets fed once a day.

3. how much?

Around about 500g. I just sorta guess. Less for the arvo meal.

Doberman, 11months, female about 30k

Rottweiler x doberman, 3 years, male, 26k

Pet shops (the mince, but only if it looks lean), supermarket, markets, farm outlets, I'm always on the lookout for suppliers.

6. have you always fed your dog this diet, or did you change over to it gradually? if yes, how did your dog react?

I didn't notice any changes really. Although now I get so many comments about how healthy they look and how their coats are so shiny. I fed the little one raw from a pup.

Disadvantages are that sometimes you get blank looks when you try to explain to the butcher what you want. I feel that it's harder than the convenience of commercial food, and sometimes feel a bit alone in the decision making process of this kind of feeding because my vet doesn't really go for it. Would love to find a vet that supports how I feed my dogs. (I've moved now anyway so have to find a new vet). and as someone else said, my family thinks I'm mad too because of the effort involved! also it's much easier to pick up a dry hard poo at the park instead of a voluminous stinky moist one. Too much detail!!!??? And if you step in the poo in the backyard it usually just crumbles.

The older one seems to have more energy, and both of their coats are shiny. I have had skin problems with the doberman since she was a couple of months old, but I don't know if it's diet related so I guess that irrelevant.

Hope that helps!

:rolleyes:

Hi. First of all, I hope no one minds me posting this here.... It should be pretty interesting information for everyone to read.

I'm writing a factsheet on the BARF diet including information about what is it, how to feed, what to feed, etc. I'm also hoping to recommend really good feeding schedules from people that feed their dogs this kind of diet. If you feed your dog bones and raw food (biologically appropriate raw food) and would like to answer the following questions for me, that would be fabulous:

1. what do you feed?

2. how often?

3. how much?

Thank you very much. You will be credited (name, location) unless you wish to be anon. Either reply here or you can email me at: [email protected] with barf in the subject line. Thanks again!!!

1) All sorts of different fruit and vegetables about $50 a months worth mixed with cheese & Yoghurt as well as chicken carcusses, chicken necks and marrow bones.

2) She is fed once a day at night normally but will be trying to feed twice a day again soon

3) About 500 - 600grams of meat to 400grams of vegetables plus extras

4)Rottweiler, 2.5yrs, female, 30kgs

5)Forestway Fresh or Market for Vegies, Chicken George for Carcusses, Glenrose Butcher for Marrow Bones & Woolies for necks.

6) Have been feeding BARF for a few months. Change over was immediate and she took to it very well and loved everything she was given - I am a lucky one.

7) Was haveing weight and skin problems that no longer exist and I am saving money

8) Much better coat, always been a playful dog that never changes and people comment on how clean her teeth are and how good her breath smells.

Jadey :)

Regarding the avocado issue - I know of someone that gave her bird (think it was a cockatiel) avocado and it died a few hours later of toxicity poisoning. The vet said it was the avocado. So there must be some truth in the theory that it isn't good for dogs and cats either - though I imagine being a bird it just hit him a lot faster. Will be an interesting issue to research further - I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me with this BARF project.

Later - yep they are toxic to doggies and other animals:

http://kgkat.tripod.com/avocado.html

http://petplace.netscape.com/Articles/artShow.asp?artID=4773

Department of Clinical Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.

Two dogs were seen at the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya, both having histories of dyspnoea, progressively enlarging abdomens, anasarca, ascites, pleural and pericardial effusion, and pulmonary oedema. One of the dogs had a mild neutrophilic leucocytosis, elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase, lactate dehydrogenase and proteinuria. Histopathological examination of the myocardium revealed some damage to myocytes and a mononuclear cellular infiltration involving the myocardium, liver and kidneys. The two dogs had a fondness for avocado fruits and, as the presenting syndrome is identical to that seen in goats, sheep and horses poisoned by avocados, a comparison is made and the probable manifestation of this poisoning presented.

Edited by Leenie

Now i can do it i have successfully changed Nova into a BARFer after a few hiccups

1. what do you feed?

A BARF pattie for tea at the moment a chicken one it has all types of vegies etc in it, i add a raw egg every odd day (he loves egg) and he gets a chook frame in the morning and a teeth cleaner treat. Gets some dry food in with the pattie to encourage him to still eat it.

2. how often?

A pattie every night and frame every morning

3. how much?

One pattie feeds him sufficently well and i mix about a handful of dry food in it

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, 2 years, Male (entire), last weighed in at 20kg.

We get the patties delivered every time we run out. Get frames & dry from either supermarkets or butchers.

6. have you always fed your dog this diet, or did you change over to it gradually?

if yes, how did your dog react?

He only got changed over about a week ago, he refused at first tried it as a treat didnt work so i mixed 1/4 in with some dry he ate that quickly, next day 1/2 with dry, day after that 3/4 and the next day the whole thing with a bit of dry food.

I tried the fastening? thing didnt work i gave in ;) so tried the above way.

Advantage: Very quick easy to use, he doesnt leave any for the birds to eat, he is usually a slow eater and wanders while eating but now finishes it in one sitting, his poo isnt as big/smelly.

So far there has been no disadvantages wish i had found out sooner.

Too early to tell yet but he does seem quiter/calmer is it supposed to do that?

Thanks Natasha

Ok, here goes,

1. what do you feed?

My guys are 100% on the BARF diet, they get raw bones for breakfast, and for dinner they get raw chicken mince, mixed fruit and vegies (done in the blender), pasta and rice, chicken necks, We soak supercoat Active and they each get probably 1 cup, the poms get about 3 biscuits when soaked.

We also on occasions, give them turkey necks, beef liver, large marrow bones, Usually cow shins, Lambs hearts..

2. how often?

7 days a week. Bones for Brekky, and a meal around 5-6 depending on the heat.

3. how much?

1 serving spoon soaked dry food, 100 take or leave of raw chicken mince, and 3 or 4 chicken necks.

1.German Shepherd, 6, male, 45kg

2. German Shepherd, 9, male, 30+kg

3. German Shepherd, 5, female, 30+kg

4. German Shepherd, 3, female 20+kg

5. German shepherd, 5, female, 20+kg

6. German Shepherd, 4, female 20+kg

7. German Shepherd, 2, Male, 25+kg

8. German Shepherd, 4, Male, 25+kg

9. German Shepherd, 2, Female, 20+kg

10. German Shepherd, 5 months, Female, 15kg

11. German Shepherd, 2, female, 20kg+

12. 3 GSD Puppies, 12 weeks, 11kg+

13. Pomeranian, 1, male, 2.2kg

14. Pomeranian, Female, 7months, 1.2kg

Dollar Save Pet Supplies, Local Butcher and Steggles.

6. have you always fed your dog this diet, or did you change over to it gradually?

if yes, how did your dog react?

We began on a similar diet, but with more additives, ie. calcium tablets, powders etc. Since changing totally to no additives with the BARF diet, we have had clear hips and elbows for years, and happy healthy dogs with shiny coats, happy natures, and full of life.

Advantages - Happy, healthy dogs are what everyone wants. And thats what I have. The Poms have huge shiny coats, and the shepherds have lovely shiny black, and deep shiny red.

No disadvantages.

Since the Barf diet, our dogs have had gorgeous thick shiny coats, and yes, a lot of energy. But they have also had less trips to the vet. :laugh: I wouldnt go without it.

Kadama German Shepherds

IttyBitty Pomeranians.

post-22-1100861918.jpg

My guys are always getting a varied diet, and I'm always revising it too. I'll go on their latest diet though.

1. what do you feed?

5 x a week - veggie mix (3kg veggies, 500g fruit, 1.5kg offal, 500g muscle meat, 1kg ground chicken carcass, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, garlic, 4 eggs)

1 x a week - Either fresh fish or sardines and egg.

1 x a week - "Free day" - Recreational bone, giblets, turkey wing, brains... what ever I pick up from the supermarket!

Every day they get RMB's for dinner, which is usually chicken or rabbit, once or twice a week they get lamb (too fatty to feed more often)

4 times a week they get a powder which is kelp, brewers yeast, spirulina and wheat germ. Twice a week they get a vitamin C and Ginger powder. Every day they get yoghurt and vitamin E. Twice a week they get cod liver oil, twice a week they get salmon oil and twice a week they get evening primrose oil. They usually get an extra egg once or twice a week and just recently I've been adding cottage cheese twice a week.

2. how often?

Twice a day.

3. how much?

The Papillons get 100g a day, the Whippet gets about half a kg

One 3kg female Papillon, 5 and a half years old. One 1.7kg Papillon, 2 years old. One 6 month old Whippet, about 10kg, just over I think (he's still growing so I don't know!). Oh, and a Devon Rex kitten, but thats a different story!

Butchers, supermarkets.

Montie and Diego had a gradual change, Cassie went cold turkey. They all did fine.

The advantages are numberous, I also changed my sisters dogs over while I was living with them. Advantages range from dissapearing skin allergys, reduced levels of arthritis, returned pigment to coat in grey animals, all the complements I get while walking them, happy, healthy dogs, no doggy odour from chronically stinky dogs, clean teeth, NO vet bills (aside from Montie getting attacked by a husky, then a staffy...), less shedding ie no fur around the house, no more depression for chronically depressed dog, less aggression, fresh breath... shall I go on???

Disadvantages are: Need to buy another freezer just for the dogs, forget to defrost, have to make up their food every couple of weeks, difficult to travell.

HAVE I EVER!!!! Cassie, the 5 year old, came to me as a scraggy dog, with a rough coat which was about 2cm long. Her fur now is close to 20cm, wavy, soft, beautiful, thick, EVERYONE who saw her when I first got her doesn't believe that she's the same dog. She's got so much more energy too, its great. Since I've started adding more veggies + yoghurt to the diet Monties fur has gone really thick, he looks round but he's not fat! He was healthy before, but I've gotta say he's looking tops now. Diego is the softest dog you'll ever touch, I'd put money on it, his fur is so thick for a Whippet! His muscles are much well developed and distinguished than any other pup his age, not for lots of exercise, just from his good diet. My last Boxer was extremely aggressive, it reduced her aggression levels, unfortunately not enough, but if it had only been a mild aggression to start with it would have sorted it out completely. Also, although they have more energy, they are less hyper and better behaved, kinda like taking fizzy drinks out of a childs diet. I couldn't be happier

:thumbsup:

>>For all those people who wanted to see the fact sheet after she did it I found this on her website:

http://www.naturalanimalcare.com/factsheet...20Nutrition.htm

And thanks for all the info in the thread, I'm going to now steal some of your ideas for diets for my pup!!<<

LOL that isn't actually the factsheet! I'm still in the process of writing my factsheet on BARF.... it will be much longer and contain more detail than any of the factsheets currently on my website. Thanks for visiting though!! :-)